Anoyed by Wiper Controls with Rain Sensing Wipers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Anoyed by Wiper Controls with Rain Sensing Wipers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Anoyed by Wiper Controls with Rain Sensing Wipers

Seems like the Chrysler Engineers did not think through the design/layout of the wiper controls when they added the rain sensing feature. They just retained the design that has been in place since the invention of intermittent wipers. I hate that I can't do a single wipe without rotating the control know past off. My last 2 cars had the wiper controls on a separate stock and a quick tap down would initiate a single wipe without having to disengage the rain sensing setting.

i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Turning the knob in the opposite direction and releaseing it will give you a single pass without engaging the rain sensing setting.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, but I find that the moisture sensing feature is so effective that it is rare that I need a single wipe and twisting the knob is not all that inconvenient in that case. An easy "mist" single wipe was very useful on other vehicles without the moisture sensor, however. Chrysler just does it differently.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
kkreit01

I hated that feature on my previous Lincoln. I didn't see why they even had intermittent intervals. They had a mind of their own, and it couldn't be defeated. I could get a single wipe just by changing speeds, but after that wipe, they wiped whenever they felt necessary -- which wasn't when I needed it. They were OK for a steady rain, but a real pain for drizzle/sprinkles.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah, but I find that the moisture sensing feature is so effective that it is rare that I need a single wipe and twisting the knob is not all that inconvenient in that case. An easy "mist" single wipe was very useful on other vehicles without the moisture sensor, however. Chrysler just does it differently.
Actually, I don't think it works that well in all situations (i.e spray from other cars, very light mist). That's why I would like to have a single wipe without having to disengage the rain sensing.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Turning the knob in the opposite direction and releaseing it will give you a single pass without engaging the rain sensing setting.
I know this. You are missing the point. I want to initiate a single wipe without disengaging the rain sensing and then having to re-engage at the setting I had.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20sailor View Post
I know this. You are missing the point. I want to initiate a single wipe without disengaging the rain sensing and then having to re-engage at the setting I had.
Then turn it up one setting and back down again. That will initiate a single swipe without disengaging rain sensing.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
hemispin
2014 WK 

I found the rain sensing feature just about useless. It was hopelessly random at best. It's one of the first things I disengaged.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20sailor View Post
Actually, I don't think it works that well in all situations (i.e spray from other cars, very light mist). That's why I would like to have a single wipe without having to disengage the rain sensing.
What sensitivity setting have you tried? Do you use anything like rainX on your windshield? I agree there are situations where one needs a single wipe and the sensor misses it, but for me that is rare. Perhaps I have better sense than others

Oh, like others have said, when I want one wipe, I just click the sensitivity setting on stop and back.
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
TurboRush

Quote:
Then turn it up one setting and back down again. That will initiate a single swipe without disengaging rain sensing.
Thats what I do.

I'll also say I hate hate hate hated rain sensing wipers. They were the most useless thing in the 2 Lexus' I owned... light mist, FULL SPEED, downpour.. n i c e a n d s l o w.

I was happy the Jeep had a way to disable them and figured I'd be disabling them right away. However, the Jeep implementation has been one of the best I've experienced IMHO (not saying it does exactly what I want, but its right a lot more than other cars I've experienced).
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Just turn it one "click" and back and you'll get a single wipe.
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
kloubik
2014 WK 

I believe the WJ had this done much better (and I have to say I was surprised how well the rain sensing wipers worked on my 2004 Overland). If I remember correctly one could engage the automatic wipers and if needed a single tap towards on the lever did a single wipe without messing with the rain sensing settings.

BTW, having to turn the knob to get one single wipe on my current 2014 WK2 is one of the most annoying things and whoever designed it should feel ashamed for such a lousy job. Not only it is very clumsy but you also have to completely take one hand off the steering wheel to be able to do it! Imagine passing a semi in the rain when you suddenly need an extra wipe to see something at all...is this a moment you want to take your hand off the steering wheel and having to perform some clumsy movement with your hand to get a quick single wipe?

I sometime wonder why we have multiple buttons on steering wheels to control all kind of smart phones, multimedia etc comfortably. And on the other hand, to control things like wipers that play a lot into being safe on the road is done the way it is in the current WK2.... not ergonomic at all.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Quote:
+1 - I find myself rarely needing to do this very often tho, as it does a pretty darn good job most of the time on its own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.