Another "Key Fob Not Detected"!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JMono
2015 WK 

Another "Key Fob Not Detected"!!!

Got the old "can't detect key fob" or whatever it is says tonight. Very annoying and not cool when your wife is stranded with a new Jeep that won't start.

I eventually told her to place the key fob directly against the start button and push. It started and when she got home, I tried the same procedure and it would not start. I tried several more times and it would not detect either key fob and the seat memory was wiped away. The computer seemed like it was frozen or had some kind of glitch.

After thinking it through and doing some internet reading about pulling the M27 fuse on older models, I figured out that the same fuse in the 2015 model is F51. It is the fuse for the keyless ignition. I pulled the fuse and reinstalled it. The Jeep fired right up.

I just wanted to share this story in case any of you get stranded with your Jeep. I showed my wife how to pull the fuse and marked it with a permanent marker so it is easy for us to find again.

This problem is huge disappointment to us. We feel like the Jeep could decide not start at any given time. I'm having nightmares about driving it across the country with my family this summer.

Is there a real fix out there for this? What makes the software lock up like it did?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 PM
GoPlzGo
formerly 14summithemi

2015 WK 

Ya, I had the "service keyless system" message whereby the fobs were useless. Had to start with brake/button. Dealer said batteries needed replaced. Picked up and fob wouldnt work at dealer and gave same message. Took advisor out to it and he said, "Strange, tech said iy was fixed.". Uh huh...Scheduled another appointment and it took dealer 3 days to trouble shoot it as a loose keyless receiver connector that is very tough to get at on top of steering column. Then a month later the fobs simply did not work again but no messages. Dunno why. Hasn't recurred yet.

Why the lockups? IMHO car manufacturers are learning, sometimes slowly and sometimes painfully, how to add software to their core competency. Look at all the partnering they are doing with software companies.

White '15 JGC SRT Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
post #3 of 27 Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
JMono
2015 WK 

My fobs worked fine to unlock and lock the doors so I highly doubted it was the batteries. But I changed them anyway and still had the problem until I pulled the fuse.
post #4 of 27 Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
GoPlzGo
formerly 14summithemi

2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMono View Post
My fobs worked fine to unlock and lock the doors so I highly doubted it was the batteries. But I changed them anyway and still had the problem until I pulled the fuse.
That works because you are cutting off power-off power supply which lets the memories dump to clean the slate. Same thing as a true "hard" reset on a modem or computer. When all else fails, try it.

Since I had an unexplained problem after the receiver connector was supposedly secured I will try this when I have another whodunit.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-18-2015, 12:14 PM
WKPwildlife

Lightbulb Great fix for the ominous “key Fob not detected”.

Great fix for the ominous “key Fob not detected”.

I have a 4 month old 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited diesel that I bought to pull a camper trailer. Yesterday, both key FOBs gave me the dreaded “key Fob not detected” message. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway and not out in Death Valley away from cell phone service and dealerships. The keys could lock/unlock the doors and open/close the back hatch. Neither key Fob or the uConnect iPhone app was able to start the vehicle. The manual says try starting the car by pressing the key FOB directly against the start switch. This procedure worked once but then not again. A tow truck was called and they carted the GC to the dealer.

The next day, my son then found your post on removing then reinserting fuse #51. I ran over to the dealer and tried it. Wow, it worked! The service guy was also impressed.

Thanks again for providing a work-around solution.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-18-2015, 08:37 PM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

A guy at my sons lax practice tonight had a 2015 overland,i asked him how he liked it and told me this same issue happened to him.He said the dealer told him the battery was dead,in both remotes.He had to have it towed in 4weeks after buying it.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #7 of 27 Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM
wxman2003
2015 WK 

I had FOB issues at times with my previous car, an Audi A5. Sometimes the "no key detected" alert would pop up when I tried to start car. I had 2 ways to fix it. Insert FOB into ignition to start car, or get out of car, close door and go back inside for a few minutes. Second time around, it would work. At least now I know with the JGC I can just pull the fuse and reinsert and then start. Thanks for the tip. Hope I never have to use it. FWIW, I replace the batteries in the FOBs right away when I get a new car. Never know how long those batteries have been in FOBs when you get them. About $5 for 2 new batteries.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM
WKPwildlife

Still another "Key Fob Not Detected"

Have you had to use the F51 fuse remove/insert drill often since the problem first occurred? Do you know if any of the firmware upgrades have addressed the problem?

Thanks
post #9 of 27 Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
I had FOB issues at times with my previous car, an Audi A5. Sometimes the "no key detected" alert would pop up when I tried to start car. I had 2 ways to fix it. Insert FOB into ignition to start car, or get out of car, close door and go back inside for a few minutes. Second time around, it would work. At least now I know with the JGC I can just pull the fuse and reinsert and then start. Thanks for the tip. Hope I never have to use it. FWIW, I replace the batteries in the FOBs right away when I get a new car. Never know how long those batteries have been in FOBs when you get them. About $5 for 2 new batteries.
In general batteries made for fobs are designed with a long shelf life.Whether they work as advertised is another thing..

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #10 of 27 Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 AM
SBracken

I Love All Of You on here!! I thought I was going insane trying to figure out how to drive my jeep again. Putting the key fob against the start button and pulling the fuse worked! I am so happy now. Guess I will carry a pair of needle nose pliers with me from now on so I can get that little fuse out. Thank you everyone for posting your comments on this.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
JMono
2015 WK 

You don't need a pliers. The fuse box has a fuse puller tool inside.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
JMono
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKPwildlife View Post
Have you had to use the F51 fuse remove/insert drill often since the problem first occurred? Do you know if any of the firmware upgrades have addressed the problem?

Thanks
No, I have not had the problem reoccur.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 PM
03aggieWJ

I miss the days of a simple key it was just too reliable. We run a independant repair shop and software problems across all brands like this are a real pain. They all have their shortcomings but it seems to be too much technology too fast into a automotive environment. Home computer yank power out of the wall reboot no prob. Walking my wife through doing this to a brand new car not cool. I really like the new WK's but am going to hold off another couple years till they get a few more of the bugs out of systems like this.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 AM
GoPlzGo
formerly 14summithemi

2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aggieWJ View Post
I miss the days of a simple key it was just too reliable. We run a independant repair shop and software problems across all brands like this are a real pain. They all have their shortcomings but it seems to be too much technology too fast into a automotive environment. Home computer yank power out of the wall reboot no prob. Walking my wife through doing this to a brand new car not cool. I really like the new WK's but am going to hold off another couple years till they get a few more of the bugs out of systems like this.
Therein lies the problem....and every few yrs they do something major like a new platform (electrical architecture or software or...)...the days of a fully baked and stable system or platform are gone with these shortened "re-fresh" cycles.

White '15 JGC SRT Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
post #15 of 27 Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Dan-67
2011 WK 

I have the same "Key Fob Not Detected" issue with my 2011 JGC Overland. Which fuse would reset the transmitter? I pulled the M27 fuse last night, with no results. There is no fuse #51 on the older Jeep. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.