Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another AC question

843 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kryogen 
#1 ·
Took a short trip today and used the AC...it could just be my imagination, but I swear the air (although it seems good and cold) does not seem to be blowing as hard from the vents as I remember it did last summer. Last summer was my first to own the Jeep. Blower has seven settings, and I don't remember ever going past 5. Even here in Alabama.

I think I went to setting 4 today: but again, I seemed to remember it blowing harder last summer.

What could cause that?

#2 ·
Took a short trip today and used the AC...it could just be my imagination, but I swear the air (although it seems good and cold) does not seem to be blowing as hard from the vents as I remember it did last summer. Last summer was my first to own the Jeep. Blower has seven settings, and I don't remember ever going past 5. Even here in Alabama.

I think I went to setting 4 today: but again, I seemed to remember it blowing harder last summer.

What could cause that?
Clogged or really dirty ac/cabin air filter could.

#4 ·

What could cause that?
I have that same question. Sometimes this winter, I couldnt get it to blow hard enough to defrost the windows. Even at max, it was blowing really "medium-low at most".

There is an issue somewhere but I don't know what....

#5 ·
IMHO, your problem is not a blower speed/force issue but more of a general lack of flow vents directed at the window surface. My point is that even a hyper turbo blower, with the current vents, would not be sufficient for northerners and their fogging issues. I know this is not a widely reported issue but I have to agree that my MY14 is far worse at defrosting than my '02 JGC was.

I had my '02 JGC dash out 4 times for heater core, blend door, recirc door and actuator probs and I was not impressed with the design of the whole setup as it relates to "installability". By that I mean that with all the foam tape, weird un-even matching channels, etc.. it was obvious that it was nearly impossible to install this unit 100% correctly even at the factory for tight airflow, etc...So much so that seeing these deficiencies I was able to vastly improve (better foam tape, taking my time to align everything) the airflow just by assembling and installing correctly.

I am willing to bet that the current hvac boxes share some of these deficiencies. Case in point, I can never get the faces vents to stop blowing some air. When I am on windshield and feet, for example, I also have to shut the actual face vent louvers to stop airflow from hitting my face. It was absolutely unbearable until I got the "hot box" fix done.

#9 ·
Anyone get the hissing sound from the AC? Lasts about 1 to 2 seconds each time it does it. My 2004 WJ does it often. My 2013 WK2 does it mainly when you first turn the AC on (from off position). But occasionally will do it while in AC mode.

#11 ·
so far the jeep hvac system is the least reliable I ever had.

It fogs, fan speed varies, sometimes I get almost no hot air on the feet, sometimes I do.
Not clear enough to go to the dealership yet...

Generally I think that it's bad. Never had a car perform that bad in winter. The jeep is a fogging nightmare. I just keep it at max setting all winter....... defrost/feet.
In the maxima I could keep it at 4/8 and it wouldnt fog. In the jeep it's max fan speed or it fogs like hell. And sometimes it does fog anyway.

I have to use the remote start all winter to get it warm before I leave, or it will fog like crazy, even with max fan speed when cold. (no car did it as bad before).

Oh well.... I'll get rid of it before my extended warranty is over in 2017. Whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.