Amplifier Bad in WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Amplifier Bad in WK2

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
cpgerlach

Wk Amplifier Bad in WK2

All modes of stereo (AM/FM, CD, HDD, Aux) in 2011 JGC are static, crackly, white noise, can barely make out sounds. Otherwise, it works. Dealer told wife that the internal amp is out due to a code B142D on a diagnostic. Not understanding the electrical in detail, is there an internal AND external amp? We're happy with the audio (when it was working). Do we have to replace the whole front unit? Where is the best place to purchase one of these? Thanks!

cpgerlach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
2kg4u
2014 WK 

The only external amp is in the vehicle rear, so if the dealer described it as the front amp it is most likely in the radio, and requires a new radio. You also likely need the dealer to program the radio to your vehicle. Which radio do you have and what is the vehicle build date. If you PM your VIN to me I can look up which radio it has.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
cpgerlach

Last 8 of VIN are BC546655
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Had the same symptoms. Dealer replaced amp in rear, fixed it. Think theres a tsb for it.
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
cpgerlach

The stereo is the 430 (RBZ). Any idea why this would happen, especially after just 3 years? Can the internal amp be fixed or replaced? Seems silly to have to replace the entire unit at a cost of $567.75 from the dealer. Also, the antenna was broke a couple years ago ... looks like a remnant of the old is in the female threaded antenna hole. It could probably be taken out if some effort was put into it, although we've never had an issue with reception and so haven't bothered. $271.49 to replace the radio, antenna, and base. Grand total of $976.91 so my wife can have music etc in her car again. Thank goodness she called me and I had her hold off. Is this a known issue with the 430? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
cpgerlach

Thanks E-rok. I'll look into that.
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

As far as antenna remnants, a left hand drill bit and an ez out should take about 10 minutes if you're very careful and slow.

Heat is the enemy of electronics. Amplifiers are great heaters It is possible that the air circulation around the amp is diminished by the need to keep things hidden.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgerlach View Post
Last 8 of VIN are BC546655
Rear amp p/n is 5064533AI, but AJ, AK and AL are compatible. Radio p/n is 5064685AM. There are no other amps shown, so if they are telling you it is the front amp it is integral to the radio and does not have a serviceable part number.

Best price I see for the radio is $650 on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-20...ht_2562wt_1363)

Vehicle was originally built as an Enterprise rental.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
kkreit01

If these items are out-of-pocket, it's the perfect time to go aftermarket. It will be cheaper, sound 10x better, and be much more flexible. I had the 430 in my car. I wanted to make it sound decent, and add a backup camera. In the end, it was much cheaper to replace the 430 with an aftermarket DDIN DVD, than to purchase a lockpick & DSP.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
cpgerlach

Thanks. Still dealing with this issue. Dealer reset the external amp in the rear, but did not fix the problem. No goodwill $ from Chrysler due to mileage in the 90Ks. Any recommendation as to a proven aftermarket unit that works reliable with all the other functions? Since I can't DIY this kind of thing, I guess my best bet is to throw parts at it at the dealer?
Unread 01-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Only the base Radios use an internal amp to drive speakers. The rear amp, if installed, has digital and proprietary connections to the radio head, and it feeds all the speakers. You are not going to find plug and play. There have been folks replace the amp with aftermarket, but that can be a lot of work. You may want to check with a couple auto audio system installers and see what they can do.

Looks like a replacement rear amplifier is less than $300 at forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.