Am I crazy!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Am I crazy!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Am I crazy!!!

I have already decided I am getting rid of my Porsche Cayman and gonna replace it. I also have a fairly modified 2008 JK that I plan to keep (this is where the crazy comes into question) Top choices so far are between (all 2014's) a Grand Cherokee Summitt, an Audi A6 or a far third a Land Rover LR4.

So the crazy is - Would it be possible you think to build my own 2014 Trailhawk II. I mean pretty much just as it was made by Jeep. My thinking is that if I did this I would also get rid of the JK. If this is a realistic possibility, it is by far my favorite option!!!

Ok, so give me your feedback...I seriously need some help thinking through this as I can get my mind set on something and convince myself it's a great idea when in fact it is ludicrous

img_5433-2-800x800-.jpg

img_5525-2-800x800-.jpg

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

So, you would like a total stranger on an internet forum to tell you how to spend your money? You want some feedback? If it turns you on, and you have the cash, do what makes you happy! I'm really not being snarky here, but you have to decide what you really want. The whole concept sounds pretty cool. If I had the dough to blow, I'd do it.

P.S. Anything is posible if your pockets are deep enough.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
So, you would like a total stranger on an internet forum to tell you how to spend your money? You want some feedback? If it turns you on, and you have the cash, do what makes you happy! I'm really not being snarky here, but you have to decide what you really want. The whole concept sounds pretty cool. If I had the dough to blow, I'd do it.

P.S. Anything is posible if your pockets are deep enough.
Thanks Jacko. Not wanting, or allowing, anyone to tell me what to do. Just trying to get some input from those of you with WK's. I love my JK. It is not very comfortable and noisy as hell, but I still love the functionality of it and it has done EVERYTHING I've ever asked of it and it is still a work in progress. The Porsche if fun to drive but not practical at all and gets me into way too much trouble :-). I 'need' something other than the JK to travel in that is more comfy and want something 'nicer' with all the bells and whistles. I really like the Audi but the new Grand Cherokees are pretty nice inside and drive really well form the one test drive I took in it (I owned one back around 2004 and have also owned and LR4 and several other vehicles). One thing I really dislike about the Cayman (and any sedan for that matter) is when the weather turns bad or I get caught in a huge traffic jam. I know I can watch the weather and take the JK if it's going to be bad, but if I'm traveling, I'm stuck with whatever vehicle I chose. This is why I'm drawn to the Trailhawk II. It seems like a great compromise between the JK and something like an A6. I just don't know if it would realistic to build one without spend a fortune and then finding out that all the mods don't perform as I anticipated.

Thanks for listening and chiming in...just trying to reason through this all
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Keep your JK (since it looks like it is nicely setup) and get a WK2. Not because they're both Jeeps, but because the JK serves its purpose as the go anywhere vehicle, and the WK2 does the comfort/quiet + handle bad weather.

I love Audi's too so I don't think you would go wrong there either. Land rovers look nice, but just don't trust them yet after my friends LR2 POS.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
ColdCase

2011 WK 

The WK2 is not near off road capable, even with mods, as your JK. But the WK2 a lot more comfortable on the street and soft trails, and you can get a V8 in it. How do you intend to use your custom vehicle? The WK2 chassis is stiff and does not have enough articulation to make it a serious off roader, but you can have a lot of fun with it. You may want to start by looking at what Jackal01 has done with his in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...o-4x4-1332758/
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

ArloGuthroJeep that is what I will most likely do to begin with and see what I think of it. Thanks.

ColdCase I have used my JK for everything. Rock Crawling, Snow recovery vehicle, hunting rig, storm chaser, etc. if I built up the WK I would get it with the diesel for sure. I would use it for most everything I did in the Jk other than rock crawling and hunting out of. I got a divorce and lost access to my hunting spot down in Texas and can use the jeep up here like I could down there due to different hunting regs. My favorite use for the JK is storm chasing and pulling people out of the snow. Might be a little less willing to get the new rig hailed on but I think it would excel at snow recovery.

Check out my tornado video if you'd like:

Can't get the video to embed. Goto YouTube and search for "Shawnee Oklahoma Tornado 05/19/13"

Thanks guys this is exactly what I'm looking for to help me decide :-)

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
It is not very comfortable and noisy as hell, but I still love the functionality of it and it has done EVERYTHING I've ever I know I can watch the weather and take the JK if it's going to be bad, but if I'm traveling, I'm stuck with whatever vehicle I chose. This is why I'm drawn to the Trailhawk II. It seems like a great compromise between the JK and something like an A6. I just don't know if it would realistic to build one without spend a fortune and then finding out that all the mods don't perform as I anticipated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Keep your JK (since it looks like it is nicely setup) and get a WK2. Not because they're both Jeeps, but because the JK serves its purpose as the go anywhere vehicle, and the WK2 does the comfort/quiet + handle bad weather.
IMHO, if you can afford it, keep your Rubi and get the Summit. You could always hold off on the mods on the WK2 until you've driven it awhile. The Summit is pretty capable as is.

(Disclaimer: I'm an active Chrysler Group LLC employee.)
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Lee. That is most likely what I will do. My only real concern is that I know myself all too well. If I get the Summit I won't be using the JK that much and I have more invested in it than the vehicle cost and I'd hate to just let it sit

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
I would use it for most everything I did in the Jk other than rock crawling and hunting out of. My favorite use for the JK is storm chasing and pulling people out of the snow. Might be a little less willing to get the new rig hailed on but I think it would excel at snow recovery.
The WK2 and JK are two different kinds of vehicles. With a JK, having minimum body material and built more like a truck, I would just go anywhere with it on a whim, bumps, dents, mud are merit badges . I would never do the same with the WK2, it is more of a highway cruiser with style and top notch foul weather capability. The WK2 is a much better tow vehicle.

Where the JK has tons of mod potential and broad aftermarket support, the WK2 has none in comparison. With the QL adjustable suspension you would have no need for lifts, so wheels and tires are about it. There are some nifty winch mounts. You can certainly customize paint and style features, but that does not help functionally. With decent snow tires, the WK2 would make a fine snow recovery vehicle, however, and much more comfortable than the JK. As you say, hail on the JK is not an issue, but denting the heck out of the WK2... I dunno. The JK body metal may be thicker than the WK2's.

The best, perhaps, is to have one of each. Don't get rid of the JK until you determine the WK2 suits your needs. My sports cars and bikes seem to not be used much since my WK2 arrived, its such an enjoyable ride. Many others here have similar experience, the sporty cars are staying in the garage.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
kkreit01

I'd do what others day. Keep your JK, and buy the Summit for a DD. Keep the Summit stock. The Trailhawks are real nice, but they are simple, cosmetic add-ons. They are no more capable than the next WK2 (other than their OE tires -- which are 100% better).
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
Thanks Lee. That is most likely what I will do. My only real concern is that I know myself all too well. If I get the Summit I won't be using the JK that much and I have more invested in it than the vehicle cost and I'd hate to just let it sit
BTW, you may want to look at Overlands, which can be optioned to have the same function as the Summit but with a bit less bling. I think the Summit body trim panels make it a bit less suitable than an overland for truck type stuff like snow recovery, especially if you will be mounting a winch. For serious snow, try to get an ELSD equipped WK2. ELSD may or may not be standard on Overland V8s and diesels. If you are not mounting a winch, look for a WK2 with factory front tow hooks, not all variants come with them. Tow hooks can be added later (along with skid plates) for some $$.

Nothing wrong with the Summit std features and bling, however. They are nicely equipped for the street and the foul weather capability is excellent. Nothing better short of a big truck or modified JK.
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

The GC, even built to the max with what is available, will not match up to your fairly modded JK. I miss the hell out of being able to buy a lift anywhere and slap it on my vehicle.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. You are all saying pretty much what I expected and what I am leaning towards. Getting a Summit (or Overland) and using it most of the time but keeping the JK for the nasty stuff. To be I honest I don't know if I will even be able to part with the JK unless I'm replacing it with another one (or a Brute Doublecab )

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Keeping the JK is a must. I see no reason to replace that with a WK2. The WK2 is great for road trips and trail rides which is what mine is for. I have taken to Colorado and it performs well. A good set of tires is the foundation like with any vehicle. The lift bought a little more room to play around but nothing to shake a stick at.

Having both Jeeps is the best route. That is a well modified JKU and not overdone. Just right.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jackal. Wanted it to blend in somewhat so people would think it's pretty stock but be capable of going just about anywhere in any conditions. If (and I know I am) I keep it a new power plant or at least a supercharger are in it's future :-)

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.