Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Alternator Recall

18K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  BrenRohr 
#1 ·
NHTSA issues recall:

Attachments

#9 ·
FCA pays for recalls regardless. In the past they often offered a discount coupon on accessories or a few months of SIRIUS.

#10 ·
Just got back from a long trip, and took a look under the hood. Found what seems like a carbon build-up on alternator and surrounding engine. I wiped with a cloth to see what it was. You can see it in this pic after I wiped it down, but it was much thicker when I found it. I have a service appointment to have it looked at, but didn't mention the recall. In my experience it's best to just state your problem and let them check it out. Can't get it in till 7-31. That's my scheduling problem. Will follow up when I get it in.

Attachments

#14 ·
Mine's the 220 amp, with less than 18,000 miles on it, and it looks to me like it may already be failing. I'll post more info after I get it in to the service dept.

#15 ·
I just checked my alternator out, and have the same as jacko. Put my finger on the black material around the alternator and it's like a fine carbonacous material, sandy like. Don't think it's belt either because only the alternator has the dark material.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Vehicle

#17 ·
That's a possibility, but that would mean there's a problem with the springs or comm surface, or maybe something got inside. I'll let the dealer figure it out as I have a MaxCare Lifetime contract.

#20 ·
Dealer replaced the alternator the first time around but I didn't make it 3 miles when my the battery indicator light came on again. Pulled into the nearest place I can park and checked out the alternator, no burnt smell this time. I was going to head home but multiple lights came on and that was it. AC stopped blowing cold air, ABS light was on, traction control light... etc.

I was told the second alternator died also and took out the PCM which I had to wait a couple days for.

#25 ·
There were some grounding issues near the alternator and block that gave folks fits awhile ago, especially those with the V6. You may want to check the grounds for looseness or corrosion.

#26 ·
I have a diesel and from what I read in this letter from FCA to the NHTSA is that only 3.6L and 5.7L gassers which have electro-hydraulic steering are affected by this recall. I am not sure why the diesels wouldn't fall into this recall too since they have a 220 amp alternator and electro-hydraulic steering. Seems strange, no? Thoughts?

#27 ·
I don't think the V8's are affected as Jeep says: "V6s come with electro-hydraulic power steering, while the V8s come with traditional belt-drive power steering systems."

#28 ·
The letter I linked to from FCA clearly says "The affected vehicles have electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS) and are equipped with a 5.7L or a 3.6L engine and a 160, 180 or 220 amp alternator. In the affected vehicles, the alternator may suddenly fail." So clearly at least some of the 5.7L did come with EHPS.

#29 ·
I think all engines got the electric steering in model year 2016. In model years 2015 and earlier. the V8 came with hydraulic power rack and pinion.

#30 ·
I've got a 14' diesel with 110k miles my in dash voltage has always fluctuated a bit never more than 15v no less than 12v and it doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern. My guess is that the alternator issues have to do with strain on the Jeeps with smaller batteries and a lot of electronics. Maybe it isn't affecting the diesels because of the huge battery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Our 2014 GC Summit has been stalling on and off this year while driving, but our Jeep VIN does not feed this recall apparently. Its currently at the dealership getting the alternator looked at. A few months ago, our Jeep wouldn't go a few miles without stalling. Dealership changed the RF Hub Module since that was one of about 15 failure codes that tripped, and all seemed fine for a few months. Friday it stalled again during morning rush hour with our two kids in the back seat. Hoping they have a firm diagnosis tomorrow - this is incredibly unsafe.

Video of it stalling while driving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.