Alpine System, why the hate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Alpine System, why the hate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
jtc411

Alpine System, why the hate?

When I was doing my research I noticed a lot of people unhappy with the Alpine system in the Limited model. I have to say I'm very impressed with it and I really like car audio. Coming from the Fender system in my Volkswagen this thing blows it away. I find that the clarity is very good, and the sub fills in the lows very nicely. When trying out different genre's of music the bassy rap music hits pretty good. It doesn't rattle windows but its a factory system and more than sufficient for the average adult. Am I really only one of the few that think the system is quite good?

jtc411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
RJSolo

I agree with you. I see a lot of hate of the 9 Speaker system however, I think it sounds great. Granted I am not an audio enthusiast, but for a stock system it is great. My only gripe is how the system limits you to "38" on the dial. I wish it was a tad bit louder.
RJSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
EvgeshaIS300

Same here, totally satisfied with the system.
I'll go as far as say its a step up from what I had in all of my FX35s (4 in a row from 2003 to 2010) and better than what i had in 2002 IS300 with addition of JL 10" sub and JL amp.
EvgeshaIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
marko138
2011 WK 

I like mine.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Not bad for a stock unit - about equal to the BOSE unit in my CTS-V. The Alpine is MUCH better than the awful BOSE unit in my Z06.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
SouthDakota

2014 WK 

I will chime in and agree with you guys. The Alpine system in my wife's Limited sounds great, especially compared to the factory systems I am used to dealing with.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited w/ 5.7L V8
2010 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Big Horn w/ 4.7L V8
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
bocajrs
2012 WK 

I agree as well...the stock sound system sounds very good and is better than some of the systems on my previous vehicles
bocajrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
jacko15
2014 WK 

I'm happy with mine. Some folks just need a more refined and powerful system. It's just background to me, more than sufficient. If I want to be all audiophile I'll listen in my living room. I usually have others in the vehicle with me, and we like to talk to each other. I think a lot of folks that are disappointed are in the vehicle alone, or with others who want to be totally immersed in their music. To each his own.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
kkreit01

It's better than a 4-speaker Ford system, or 6-speaker Chrysler. It can't compare to Lincoln THX II (not even remotely-close), or a good aftermarket system. It all depends on your point-of-reference. I recently bought a new 200 with the 6 speaker Boston Acoustics system. Even though it doesn't have a sub, it has more bass than my 9+1 Alpine in the Jeep. It also sounds better overall IMO.

People dislike the Alpine system, because it should sound better, and it was very poorly designed. In my previous Ram for example, the rear 6x9s are high-passed, and only got mid-high frequencies. Who does this on a 6x9?! In my 200, the rear 6x9s are full-range -- which is what they should be. The OE Alpine speakers are worse than their lowest aftermarket line. If basic Kicker (Mopar) is an "upgrade", you know they weren't that good to begin with. People really dislike the Alpine system when they try to upgrade it -- because it's not easy, nor cheap. I do like Chrysler's head units. I don't like the Alpine amp, speakers, nor integration.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post

People dislike the Alpine system, because it should sound better, and it was very poorly designed. In my previous Ram for example, the rear 6x9s are high-passed, and only got mid-high frequencies. Who does this on a 6x9?! In my 200, the rear 6x9s are full-range -- which is what they should be. The OE Alpine speakers are worse than their lowest aftermarket line. If basic Kicker (Mopar) is an "upgrade", you know they weren't that good to begin with. People really dislike the Alpine system when they try to upgrade it -- because it's not easy, nor cheap. I do like Chrysler's head units. I don't like the Alpine amp, speakers, nor integration.
This is what I mean about going all audiophile. When you say "People dislike the Alpine system", you're not speaking for everyone. It's fine for me and many others who just want a little background music when they're in their vehicle. I understand that your tastes are more discriminating, but for the majority of "people" on this thread so far, the Alpine system in their Jeep is just fine. Of course it doesn't compare to the system in my home that costs thousands of dollars, but I don't need it to. As to the original poster's comment about the system, all I can say is, to each their own, you're either gonna like it or not, but many do.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
jtc411

Quote:
It's better than a 4-speaker Ford system, or 6-speaker Chrysler. It can't compare to Lincoln THX II (not even remotely-close), or a good aftermarket system. It all depends on your point-of-reference. I recently bought a new 200 with the 6 speaker Boston Acoustics system. Even though it doesn't have a sub, it has more bass than my 9+1 Alpine in the Jeep. It also sounds better overall IMO.

This is what I'm talking about. People say there is no bass and their 6x9's are better. I don't understand. My Alpine system has a lot of bass...and I love bass so its not like I'm sensitive to it and OK with flat music. I have my bass at +2 right now and when listening to rock with good kick bass and rap with deep bass I get plenty of low end. I have a hard time believing 2 6x9's have a lower freq response than a 10" subwoofer. But to each their own, its OK to not like the system and its OK to like a 6 speaker system better. This is all just opinion based and I was curious of why some people don't like it while others think its fantastic.

This professional review found the system to be above average.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...io-review.html
jtc411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Like a lot of things, it's very subjective. I'm very happy with my 9 speaker system, CD player & all.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
radrick
1974 CJ5 

I have been into car audio for around 20 years. I am happy with the alpine system in my wifes grand. I agree with it being subjective to each person, I also think alot peoples un-happiness comes from the sirius radio sound quality or lack of sound quality on certian station on the sat. radio.
radrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
I recently bought a new 200 with the 6 speaker Boston Acoustics system. Even though it doesn't have a sub, it has more bass than my 9+1 Alpine in the Jeep. It also sounds better overall IMO.
The 200 is a lot smaller inside. We all know it is a lot harder to get the sound right in a larger interior and what is basically a station wagon. There is no big trunk space available to take advantage of, for example.

I think the Alpine in my 2011 is pretty good, the first OEM system I wasn't tempted to improve, my little SLK had a better sound, but that was a much smaller car.
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
bocajrs
2012 WK 

No hate for 12 JGC limited Alpine system - One of the better systems i've had in any vehicle
bocajrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.