"Alice", my WK2 Laredo 4x4 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > "Alice", my WK2 Laredo 4x4

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #91
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenclosed View Post
Is it worth removing the chrome pieces from around the windows? Is there anything underneath them? Worth painting?
I've read from someone on either this forum or the other WK2 forum that they asked their body shop and they wouldn't paint around the windows because it's stainless steel. Some people have vinyl wrapped that trim around the windows. I personally like that look around the windows as long as it's in style which is still is.

jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #92
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Thanks, Chris. The American Flags are already on it page 5 half way down. The pictures of it post tires/wheels, pre-lift are on page 1 second post. As for the Plastidip. It isn't too bad. There are some very slight remnants of bugs and road grime after washing but nothing bothersome. It bothers me no more than the faint scratches in clear coat in some areas from branches and hand washing it. I am leaving it on until I figure what I want to do. It can always come off.

Have you seen the WK2 owner here that has his modded like a Storm Trooper? It is saweet.
Oh yeah, now I see it- the lift is definitely worth it. Without the lift it was looking too much like those s-10s you used to see with the tires sticking wayyy out the sides. Could you have done those tires without the spacers?

The flags and GC decals are great, very nice!

...looking through the picture thread for the stormtrooper WK2.

Soooo what's the longest you've driven in Alice on the highway with your current wheel/tire/lift setup? I'm wondering how the handling/noise/mpgs are since I really like this setup but do plan on taking lots of road trips in mine.

I look forward to seeing the RR rack and sliders... those look really nice on their website.
Chrazy-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #93
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
Oh yeah, now I see it- the lift is definitely worth it. Without the lift it was looking too much like those s-10s you used to see with the tires sticking wayyy out the sides. Could you have done those tires without the spacers?

The flags and GC decals are great, very nice!

...looking through the picture thread for the stormtrooper WK2.

Soooo what's the longest you've driven in Alice on the highway with your current wheel/tire/lift setup? I'm wondering how the handling/noise/mpgs are since I really like this setup but do plan on taking lots of road trips in mine.

I look forward to seeing the RR rack and sliders... those look really nice on their website.
Thanks.

Discount Tire told me I could not run my tires without spacers/offset wheels. The longest trip has been from Houston to 2 hours west of Austin (Fredericksburg) about 4 hours and I was at 19 MPG. Slight hum from the Nittos but nothing even noticeable with the radio on a normal volume. MPG at last fill up 80% city/ 20% highway was 17.5. Fine by me. We take lots of road trips so I anticipate about 19+ when I go to colorado. I do not know what I will do next. Most likely a rack but not sure on what brand. I would like at least the RR cross bars then go from there. I wont use it for much other than a couple offroad lights, my emergency warning lights (FF/EMT first responder) and thats about it. I will have a hitch bike rack so no need for a roof mounted bike rack.

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #94
heavenclosed
2012 WK 

Thanks for showing that the chrome door stripes can be removed. I always planned to remove them, it was great to see them removed and with pictures.

Last edited by heavenclosed; 05-25-2012 at 01:35 PM..
heavenclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #95
Jackal01

2012 WK 

No problem.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #96
JMP8562

Jackal01 The JeeP looks Great
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #97
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP8562 View Post
Jackal01 The JeeP looks Great
Thanks! It is a slow roll now. Have a trip coming up, and need to buy a DLSR...so Jeep money is on hold.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #98
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

possibly the best 15 minutes I've ever spent in the WK2 section. Quite a beautiful WKII you've got.
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #99
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Little update on couple things.

The Plastidip is holding up just fine. I think eventually I will actually paint it the right way. The front and rear and the same so just the one pic.

I have a few windows where the tint is buddling. Pretty disappointed with them because he spoke so highly of their work and the tint is Sun Tek which is my preferred brand. No big deal. It happens so I will go back to have it fixed. The rear hatch has some big "runs" in it. Both rear sides have minor bubbles and "runs". The fronts are perfect and the rear passenger doors are good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
possibly the best 15 minutes I've ever spent in the WK2 section. Quite a beautiful WKII you've got.
Much appreciated.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #100
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Looking great man. Glad the plastidip is holding up for you, makes me want to REALLY do my grill as well.
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #101
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Well, I had my rear windows re-tinted since there were a couple bubbles and "runs" in it. I had it done Monday. Alice was dirty so I didn't see the issue until today (after I washed it; I worked Weds). For those that are not familiar with how tinting is done here is a quick overview. The installer places the tint on the outside of the vehicle and traces a smaller part of the window (the molding on the inside is usually within the size of the window. So the tint only needs to be the size of the interior of the window.) Usually a sharpie is used to trace the edge. This guy...he decided in his infinite wisdom to trace with a bladed object, assuming a razor blade. I noticed after I washed it there there are faint cuts in all the rear windows from the tracing. I went up to the shop and spoke with the owner. He said he will do whatever it takes to fix it but I am hoping for just a repair and not replacement. A couple of the cuts are deep enough to catch my finger nail and others are not as deep. I believe the deeper ones may have to be replaced however the not-so-deep-ones can be repaired. I guess I will go to an auto glass shop or body shop and see what they say. I am pissed of course but at the same time I am satisfied with the owners way of handling it, which is what I expected. They are just a standalone shop, not a chain, for offroad vehicles mostly. I was hoping to go there for more toys in the future rather than the place I had my lift done since they screwed me around. We shall see. I leave for CO tomorrow so I will not be able to have it looked at until the first week of June.

I took pictures but they are just too faint to see I think.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #102
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

That is incredible, Jackal! I agree that the owner sounds like he is doing right by you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #103
Jackal01

2012 WK 

The hatch is the worst. It was difficult to get pics but I managed to (my DSLR came in so I had to use it for something!) Damaged windows are hatch, both rear and driver-side passenger door. So 4 of the 5 re-tinted windows were screwed up.
Hatch

Hatch

Rear driver

Rear driver

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #104
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Got back yesterday from our Colorado trip. Spent a couple days in Durango then took the train to Needleton and backpacked a couple days in the Chicago Basin. Spent the last few days in Silverton. Went to Animas Forks for a bit and then took Engineer Pass for a couple miles. Had to turn around at Mineral Point because I couldn't decide where to go after that and we had other things to do in Silverton and Howardsville. Alice handled well on the Jeep trail. I used the Rock setting about half the time and 4x4-lo-auto the other half. I wasnt too impressed with the Hill Descent function. In general I prefer to have more control rather than the computer doing it. A lot of Texas Jeeps were in Silverton.

Another WK2 following us through Howardsville and Eureka.

In Eureka

Animas Forks

Animas Forks

Engineer Pass

Engineer Pass

Engineer Pass. The picture doesn't do this part justice but it was a little tricky going over the rocks there with the standing water and the edge. Wish I would have gotten better pictures but the edge was a lot more steep on the part next to the rocks. The slope is gradual right until the part where I was then was a nasty drop off. If I would have gone straight like in the picture I would have most definitely screwed up the front bumper. So I had to pretty much go diagonally towards the edge which made it tricky to get around but I did...very carefully.

Old Hundred Mine in Howardsville. This picture is supposed to show the Mine's Dormatory almost at the top of the mountain. Quite Impressive to say the least. A tram was taken to get there and back. It is a 2 1/2 story building.

Silverton

Durango

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #105
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm so jealous you got to hang out in Durango/Silverton - one of my favorite areas in the country. Sounds like the Jeep did pretty well for you, that's always good to hear. It's refreshing to see some cool Jeep pics and hear a good story about some off roading in this forum!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.