"Alice", my WK2 Laredo 4x4 - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > "Alice", my WK2 Laredo 4x4

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #271
Wraab
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
So we finished the winch and bumper install after 10 hours of work. After the half way point I just stopped taking pictures.

My first, solid advice is buy one of the winches RRO has listed on their site. Not from them per se but my Quadratec Q9000s barely fits and it look some cutting and moving of parts that is not part of the instructions. That is because the winch I chose is slightly too big. My mistake for thinking "most" winches were the same size (ones around the same weight class). The KC lights will only fit on the upper "stinger" because the lights are so big (with the HID ballast built in) that they need a lot of space behind them. Just as long as the mounting bolt on the light is behind the majority of the light it will go fine. I will post what pictures I have, most very early on and post-install.
Look forward to seeing pics (and in person)!

Wraab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #272
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

The female connector that is normally on the solenoid for the remote was installed on the driver side.

This just shows the wiring for the positive and negative from the winch. Unlike the install for txwest, we could not install the solenoid in this cubby because mine was much larger.

The solenoid (minus the pretty box it is normally in) was relocated beneath the passenger side fog light. The bumper kit comes with a bracket that relocates the QL pump for those model WK2s. Since mine did not have that we mounted the solenoid to that bracket which mounts to the winch mount. It worked out rather nicely.

The directions from RRO state that some customizing may be required because there are of course factory tolerances that Jeep allows thus each winch and Jeep may be different. With that said, we did more than just some minor customizing to mine and I wish I would have just gotten the Smittybilt 10K synthetic. I had to cut quite a bit of the plastic with the vertical slats behind the chrome grille to accommodate the cross bars on the winch.

Like I said, once we ran into problems I stopped taking pictures so I only have finished photots. The fairlead still needs to be put on because the clip on the clevis hook does not fit through the hawse fairlead. Go figure. So my only remedy is to cut the hook off because I do not want it anyway. I still have to pull all the line out and winch in to break it in like they state in the directions.

For reference.
txwest RRO bumper/winch install

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #273
txwest
2012 WK 

Daylight photos make it look much better than Sun night before I crawled back home. Definitely came out perfect! Minus all the headaches of course

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #274
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwest View Post
Daylight photos make it look muh better than Sun night before I crawled back home. Definitely came out perfect! Minus all the headaches of course
Lol yes. I was able to get the plate closer to the bumper.

Unread 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #275
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ordered a Diablosport Intune DCX programmer today from Kolak!

Unread 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #276
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
Ordered a Diablosport Intune DCX programmer today from Kolak!
Not cool man....I may have to pay you to rent it...lol

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #277
Wraab
2014 WK 

Quote:

The female connector that is normally on the solenoid for the remote was installed on the driver side.

This just shows the wiring for the positive and negative from the winch. Unlike the install for txwest, we could not install the solenoid in this cubby because mine was much larger.

The solenoid (minus the pretty box it is normally in) was relocated beneath the passenger side fog light. The bumper kit comes with a bracket that relocates the QL pump for those model WK2s. Since mine did not have that we mounted the solenoid to that bracket which mounts to the winch mount. It worked out rather nicely.

The directions from RRO state that some customizing may be required because there are of course factory tolerances that Jeep allows thus each winch and Jeep may be different. With that said, we did more than just some minor customizing to mine and I wish I would have just gotten the Smittybilt 10K synthetic. I had to cut quite a bit of the plastic with the vertical slats behind the chrome grille to accommodate the cross bars on the winch.

Like I said, once we ran into problems I stopped taking pictures so I only have finished photots. The fairlead still needs to be put on because the clip on the clevis hook does not fit through the hawse fairlead. Go figure. So my only remedy is to cut the hook off because I do not want it anyway. I still have to pull all the line out and winch in to break it in like they state in the directions.

For reference.
txwest RRO bumper/winch install
Nice dude!
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #278
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraab View Post

Look forward to seeing pics (and in person)!
Wish you could have stopped by. It was quite the scene of exploded Jeep parts. Lol.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #279
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wish you could have stopped by. It was quite the scene of exploded Jeep parts. Lol.
Yes. And utter disgust multiple times because of my over-sized winch. NEVER AGAIN!!

Unread 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #280
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Cut the clevis hook off and finally mounted the fairlead last night.

DONE!

Unread 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #281
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Sure looks awesome.
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #282
Wraab
2014 WK 

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. And utter disgust multiple times because of my over-sized winch. NEVER AGAIN!!
haha - I wish I could of too. Nothing better than car parts strewn about
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #283
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraab View Post

haha - I wish I could of too. Nothing better than car parts strewn about
One day dude we will work on yours and it will take 1 hour from dismantle to finished product for how many times we have taken the front ends off of the WK2. Haha

Unread 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #284
Wraab
2014 WK 

Quote:
One day dude we will work on yours and it will take 1 hour from dismantle to finished product for how many times we have taken the front ends off of the WK2. Haha
Sounds good to me - glad you guys were the beta testers and not me. lol
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #285
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Here are some better pictures with the daylight and not a camera phone flash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.