Alcantara headliner thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Alcantara headliner thoughts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Wbeltran32

Alcantara headliner thoughts?

After purchasing my new 14 GC overland which I love btw...the only thing I feel it's missing on the inside to make it feel rich is a alcantara headliner, pillars, etc. I think the new summit has this but not 100% positive. Has anyone ever done this with pictures? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thx!

Wbeltran32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

The 2014 Summit does have it, along with the sun visors and A Pillars. It does give the vehicle a real luxury touch. But I would imagine it would cost a lot to add it to your Overland.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I hate that manufacturers make a black headliner a luxury option, especially when the rest of the damn interior is black. Beige/tan/light gray headliners look like crap, don't match and get dirty really easily. But the only way to get one is to buy a $55k vehicle? Hate it.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I hate that manufacturers make a black headliner a luxury option, especially when the rest of the damn interior is black. Beige/tan/light gray headliners look like crap, don't match and get dirty really easily. But the only way to get one is to buy a $55k vehicle? Hate it.
Vehicle interiors are designed to appeal to the largest population, while keeping options to a minimum. Black headliners with a black interior makes the inside of a vehicle look like a cave. Some people like that look, but not enough for a vehicle manufacturer to offer that as an option. The main exceptions are specialty vehicles (limited runs of a special edition) and certain models where the OEM wants to portray a different image.

I am an operations manager for the company that makes the WK headliners for Chrylser.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Wbeltran32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Vehicle interiors are designed to appeal to the largest population, while keeping options to a minimum. Black headliners with a black interior makes the inside of a vehicle look like a cave. Some people like that look, but not enough for a vehicle manufacturer to offer that as an option. The main exceptions are specialty vehicles (limited runs of a special edition) and certain models where the OEM wants to portray a different image.

I am an operations manager for the company that makes the WK headliners for Chrylser.
I will check into this some more to see if it's even worth it but it sure would add to the luxurious feel. Compliment the rest of the interior. Roy what kind of $$ should I expect to pay for this? Forget the installation bc I can est that. Thanks!
Wbeltran32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
sduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post

I for one agree that dark headliners (and sun visors) are the way to go, it was one of the things I liked about my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

I can`t stand light headliners...they get dirty easily and I have kids and a wife who wears makeup; with the materials they use now it is extremely difficult to clean them. It annoys me that in most cars the option of a dark headliner is taken away, even when you get an otherwise dark interior.

By the way, my Overland had an MSRP of just over 47 grand and some change, well below 55 grand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
sduff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
By the way, my Overland had an MSRP of just over 47 grand and some change, well below 55 grand.
lol you got my point, then completely lost it with this statement.

You had to get the top of the line GC to get a dark colored headliner. Bet you won't find that option on a Laredo and maybe not even on a Limited.

My '12 WRX had a full black interior with a light gray headliner and got dirty in less than a year just from me randomly flipping down the sun visors. I would have had to spend another $6k for the STI to get a black headliner.

Same with my '07 BMW 335i. Bought it used and the headliner already had coffee stains or something on the roof and some other water stain on the A-pillar. You have to get the $3-4K Msport pkg to get the dark headliner.

The thing is it shouldn't be a huge premium to get the upper part of my interior to be the same color as the bottom. I don't care about alcantara, I just want it black or dark grey in whatever crappy material you want to put up there.
Unread 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
I for one agree that dark headliners (and sun visors) are the way to go, it was one of the things I liked about my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Since when did the Overlands come with a dark headliner?
The GC SRT comes with a dark headliner, but it isn't the same alcantera material that the Summit comes with.
Unread 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbeltran32 View Post
I will check into this some more to see if it's even worth it but it sure would add to the luxurious feel. Compliment the rest of the interior. Roy what kind of $$ should I expect to pay for this? Forget the installation bc I can est that. Thanks!
I'll bet the alcantera headliner will be at least 1K, probably a lot more plus labor. Then to match, you would need the 2 sun visors.
Unread 07-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
I'll bet the alcantera headliner will be at least 1K, probably a lot more plus labor. Then to match, you would need the 2 sun visors.
People usually think that, but I've seen guys do swaps in the BMW and Subaru world and it is MUCH more involved than that.

Just think of all the crap on the headliner that is plastic. Grab handles, dome lights, sunroof trim, coat hanger hooks, speaker/mic grilles, etc. All that needs to be dyed (near impossible) or purchased from the dealer in black. It adds up to a lot of money.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.