aftermarket brake pads/rotors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > aftermarket brake pads/rotors

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
kryogen

aftermarket brake pads/rotors

Which pads / rotors do you use with the 2011 v8 HD brakes?

tire rack seems to have those hawk LTS pads, and the centric plain series rotors (HD brake size).

Does anyone know if those centric rotors are any good and those pads?

I don't want to pay a premium for blinb rotors, I just want a nice chunk of metal that works fine.

My brakes pulsate so I am probably going to change everything next spring. They will be 4 years anyway.

kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen
Which pads / rotors do you use with the 2011 v8 HD brakes? tire rack seems to have those hawk LTS pads, and the centric plain series rotors (HD brake size). Does anyone know if those centric rotors are any good and those pads? I don't want to pay a premium for blinb rotors, I just want a nice chunk of metal that works fine. My brakes pulsate so I am probably going to change everything next spring. They will be 4 years anyway.
Sounds like you are having someone do your brakes vs DIY correct? If so, I have had very good luck using Centric rotors . No experience with Hawk pads since I also use Centric pads .

In recent years the only pad I have had issues with are Bendix pads on a BMW application.
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Dabitz

I don't have HD brakes but I recently changed to Hawk pads and they work real well. They were cheaper on Amazon with Prime shipping. I used OEM rotors.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
kryogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Sounds like you are having someone do your brakes vs DIY correct?
No, the opposite.

I am doing it myself, if I had someone do it I wouldnt ask, right?
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
kryogen

well since a rotor is just a chunk of metal, as long as it's straight and balanced, and stays as a chunk, I would rather pay less for rotors that I replace twice as often, vs rotors twice as espensive that I am going to replace anyway at some point.
Unread 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen
No, the opposite. I am doing it myself, if I had someone do it I wouldnt ask, right?
Great.... I highly recommend you check out Rockauto. Com for your brake parts . They offer a large selection of rotors and pads for every need ( economy, DD, performance) at excellent prices . Normally parts are delivered in a few days at regular shipping . If you buy matching brands of parts , then shipping is even less .
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

From reports and reviews here on the forum, the OEM rotors are probably the best choice unless you want to upgrade your brake system. If so look at $RT brake upgrade$. Your choice on pads, OEMs are good. Most here end up with OEM parts. Forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com usually has decent deals.
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Haven't put them on my 14 JGC yet, but I find Akebono brake pads to be excellent pads in terms of stopping power, durability and low brake dust. I buy mine off Rockauto.com.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
pwrdbym

I use Hawk pads exclusively on my track cars and I've moved to using them on my street cars as well. I put Hawk Super Duty on my Duramax and have put them on several BMWs. I haven't had to do my Jeep brakes. If Hawk is available for my application I always buy them. You can research if Brembo or Stoptech make rotors for the WK2. They are quality parts and the Brembo blanks are usually not too expensive but obviously both will be more than OEM. If you're not towing there may not be much benefit. As mentioned, search tire rack or Hawk sites for the part numbers then plug them into Amazon. I've bought many Hawk pads on Amazon Prime.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Raptor

I recently did a complete 4-wheel brake job on my 2012 Overland w/HD brakes.

I went with Stoptech cross-drilled rotors; I couldn't find any non SRT Brembo rotors either cross-drilled or solid, I don't think Brembo makes any rotors for the non SRT WK2's.

http://www.buybrakes.com/p-1061-stop...led-rotor.aspx

These rotors are made from quality Centric blanks and are E-coated on the non-friction surfaces, hats, edges, cooling vanes to prevent rusting in these areas!

I went with Hawk LTS pads all around;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB701Y-723
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB702Y-662

So far very pleased with the setup.
Raptor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Jughead
2011 WK 

I used Centric rotors on my 03 wrangler with Wagners thermoquiet Ceramic pads. Haven't replaced any brakes on the GC's yet.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
kryogen

How are the hawk lts pads vs oem? Considering the lts also. I usually like hawk pads. Usually better than oem.

Probably considering basic centric rotors. I would rather pay less and replace twice as often, its just a steel chunk anyway.
Unread 09-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I recently did a complete 4-wheel brake job on my 2012 Overland w/HD brakes. I went with Stoptech cross-drilled rotors; I couldn't find any non SRT Brembo rotors either cross-drilled or solid, I don't think they make any for the non SRT WK2's. http://www.buybrakes.com/p-1061-stop...led-rotor.aspx These rotors are made from quality Centric blanks and are E-coated on the non-friction surfaces, hats, edges, cooling vanes to prevent rusting in these areas! I went with Hawk LTS pads all around; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB701Y-723 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB702Y-662 So far very pleased with the setup.
In the first link you provided, they don't even list the 2104 GC
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
In the first link you provided, they don't even list the 2104 GC
They may need to update the site. I have a 2012 Overland w/HD brakes and those are listed, and are the same parts required for a 2014 WK2 as the brakes are identical for all 2011~2014's.
Raptor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.