Aftermaket backup camera with stock headunit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Aftermaket backup camera with stock headunit?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
kodiak1120

Aftermaket backup camera with stock headunit?

Has anyone added an aftermarket backup camera with the stock headunit? I have the RES headunit and I'm looking to upgrade, primarily so I can add a backup camera. I came from a GMC Terrain, which comes standard with a backup camera and I really miss it. The stock unit costs a lot more than something you can get from eBay... I was just wondering if the hookup is some sort of standard connection or if it's something proprietary. Thanks,

Kevin

kodiak1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
SPL170db

If you get a Lockpick CHR550 it allows you to plug in like 4 additional cameras, obviously you would need to upgrade the head unit to at least the RBZ 430, the RES has no display so you can't exactly plug a camera into it.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR550.htm

- Automatically activates the camera input on all Mygig radios as well as the VES and the Sat TV mode.
- The interface allows manual and automatic activation of front/rear/left/right cameras and provides standard video inputs for each as well as providing camera power connections.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
eibyer

I don't think it's doable without the dealer activating the camera on the OEM radio or without the use of a lockpick type device. I read a thread on JG that was discussing this months back.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
nrnr

New Jeep Backup Camera Solution

Here is a good one for the new Grand Cherokee. It's from CRUX
#RVCCH-75C:

http://cruxinterfacing.com/products/...75C/index.html
nrnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.