Adding Air Lift 1000 to 2011 GC? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding Air Lift 1000 to 2011 GC?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Jughead
2011 WK 

Adding Air Lift 1000 to 2011 GC?

Anyone add this? I had something similar installed on an old Bonneville. Thinking of adding this to increase load carrying for when the family piles in with 1,000 lbs of vacation luggage.

1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Jughead
2011 WK 

Unread 05-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
chowner
2014 WK 

I don't see the point
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
loveracing1988

I would be more apt to install the load leveling shocks from the towing package. More money but same effect and don't require adding air to them every time you want to carry a heavy load.
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Ken-G
2014 WK 

According to Bilstein where the shocks mount is different for the load leveling suspension and the "regular" suspension. I've considered the coil bags myself and look for sag every time I load my Jeep to see if they are necessary.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G View Post
According to Bilstein where the shocks mount is different for the load leveling suspension and the "regular" suspension. I've considered the coil bags myself and look for sag every time I load my Jeep to see if they are necessary.
Unless they use different rear control arms I'm sure the holes would be there to be used. They have to mount into the same place in the body.
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
mrchris42

I just installed these tonight on my '14 JGC Diesel, as ours didn't come with the tow package, but we had the dealer install the receiver and wiring. I heard of problems with the load leveling shocks and couldn't find them anywhere (even the dealer), so the $100 dollar air bag option seemed much better. Installing was kind of a pain in the arse as you have to cut the lower hole out below the springs to run the hose through, but I completed it in about 2.5 hours. We are going to pull a 25' travel trailer and even with the WD hitch it needed a little boost. If you do it, score the tabs in the lower spring cover and then cut/snap it off the rest of the way with tin/avaition snips. I also mounted the filler ports in the plastic trim right behind the rear jacking point, which is hidden, easy to reach, and had a relatively short run of hose to hook it up.
mrchris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Jughead
2011 WK 

Interesting that you said you had to drill a hole for the hose at the bottom.

Quote:
eatures & Benefits

• "NO DRILLING" installation for the Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Air Springs adjustable for a great ride, loaded or unloaded
  • Eliminate suspension sag, sway & bottoming out
  • Will increase the level load capacity 1,000 lbs
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • 60 Day Ride Satisfaction Guarantee
  • Quick & Easy Installation with common hand tools

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r-springs.html
According to the video you attach the hose through the top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...layer_embedded
Unread 06-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Unless they use different rear control arms I'm sure the holes would be there to be used. They have to mount into the same place in the body.
According to my Blistein dealer the mounting bracket at the body are physically different and requires the old one to be cut out and a new mounting bracket welded in. They are willing to do the work, but the brackets can only be ordered through Chrysler.

They recommended the bags if I noticed back end sag while towing.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G View Post
According to my Blistein dealer the mounting bracket at the body are physically different and requires the old one to be cut out and a new mounting bracket welded in. They are willing to do the work, but the brackets can only be ordered through Chrysler.

They recommended the bags if I noticed back end sag while towing.
Both kinds of MOPAR shocks mount the same way and are interchangeable (well there are shock rate differences between part numbers). What the Blistein dealer is talking about is installing any aftermarket shock on any WK2. There is a Y bracket welded on the OEM shocks that aftermarket shock makers have not incorporated yet... as far as I know. Doesn't matter what kind of OEM shock comes on the vehicle.. there is some fabrication involved. Swapping out std shocks with MOPAR load leveling shock is fairly common here.. if you can get them.
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchris42 View Post
I just installed these tonight on my '14 JGC Diesel, as ours didn't come with the tow package, but we had the dealer install the receiver and wiring. I heard of problems with the load leveling shocks and couldn't find them anywhere (even the dealer), so the $100 dollar air bag option seemed much better. Installing was kind of a pain in the arse as you have to cut the lower hole out below the springs to run the hose through, but I completed it in about 2.5 hours. We are going to pull a 25' travel trailer and even with the WD hitch it needed a little boost. If you do it, score the tabs in the lower spring cover and then cut/snap it off the rest of the way with tin/avaition snips. I also mounted the filler ports in the plastic trim right behind the rear jacking point, which is hidden, easy to reach, and had a relatively short run of hose to hook it up.
Do you have any photos of the install. It may be nice to put a link to this thread in the mod index sticky.
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Jughead
2011 WK 

Unread 07-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #13
Jughead
2011 WK 

Got these installed yesterday. Took me about 3 hours but I'm slower now that I'm older.

I cut the hole tabs out using this. Hardest part was getting the bags inside the spring.

I mounted the inlet as described above.

Unread 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
volvite
1999 WJ 

I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with the 5.6 V8. One of the biggest complaints has been the sagging of the rear springs. I have the airlift installed on my Pathfinder and they work great. Here are some pictures of some of the things I've towed.

volvite is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.