Adaptive Cruise problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Adaptive Cruise problem

CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

Adaptive Cruise problem

I don't have Adaptive Cruise but so I never had this problem. Maby others here have.

U.S. safety regulators are investigating complaints that the autonomous braking system on newer Jeep Grand Cherokees can come on for no reason, increasing the risk of rear-end crashes.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which posted notice of the probe on Friday, said it covers about 20,000 Grand Cherokees from the 2014 model year.

The Jeeps are equipped with cruise control systems that automatically brake if they're closing too fast on an object in front of them. The safety feature, often called adaptive cruise control or automatic emergency braking, uses cameras and radar to spot cars and other objects and a computer to automatically brake to avoid a collision.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...eason-31550050

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

Although your post/article describes a malfunction in the ACC system, I do found my ACC a bit aggressive in braking in a situation where it has to brake. Nothing wrong with this except now you have computer reaction time versus (other) human reaction time on the road. Wouldn't be surprised if there are increased number of rear-end related collisions from cars that have this until everyone has it.

Perhaps insurance companies can post some stats.

Edit: what would be great is if (or when) all cars get ACC/FCW, there could be a sensor or transmitter in all cars that can communicate to other cars nearby wirelessly (say 200 m distance) and take action or warn/wake up drivers nearby something about to happen.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
mjreiland
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
Edit: what would be great is if (or when) all cars get ACC/FCW, there could be a sensor or transmitter in all cars that can communicate to other cars nearby wirelessly (say 200 m distance) and take action or warn/wake up drivers nearby something about to happen.
V2V or Vehicle to Vehicle communications will be coming out in the near future, all the auto manufacturers are testing it. Problem is it will be forever before 'all' the cars on the road have it. I still routinely see cars from the 70's and 80's on the road.

On the ACC/FCW, it is incredibly hard to program the system to recognize a dynamic environment and get it right 100% of the time. All sorts of things can false the sensors into thinking it is seeing something different. There was a recall a while back on certain Nissans that recognized certain tunnel entrances as the back of a semi trailer and fully applied the brakes for no reason from the drivers perspective. I can see there being a need in the future for owners to 'opt in' to some sort of anonymous recorded data that can help the developers look at when the system sensed a collision and then view the camera data to see if it was actually necessary and adjust the software accordingly. (unfortunately the point cloud from LiDAR and RADAR is very hard for a human to visualize compared to a camera picture)
mjreiland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Ampt
2015 WK 

I've had mine give me the !!!BRAKE!!! warning for absolutely no reason before - but only once in 20k miles. Other than that, it's almost always because it doesn't always understand what it's seeing - either I'm too close behind someone exiting a freeway and it thinks I'm going to crash, or it fails to figure out which lanes cars are in.
Ampt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
AOR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My wife drives this vehicle 2014 GC and she said this has happened a few times while she was driving it without another vehicle near by
AOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

I had the false (clean lens, all clear around vehicle, good weather) !BRAKE! several times early on but they said it was a mis-aimed sensor (the eyeball center down low) and hasn't happened since adjustment.
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Clspht

Just seems odd that according to the article they "cant duplicate or fix the issue" but its only on the 2014's....whats the difference in systems between the 14's and 15's...Seems like the best way to start...
Clspht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clspht View Post
Just seems odd that according to the article they "cant duplicate or fix the issue" but its only on the 2014's....whats the difference in systems between the 14's and 15's...Seems like the best way to start...
Its an open investigation and its for the FCW not adaptive cruise. 14 v 15? Its always a subset of the population as it is always a defective/wrong part run/design or factory install issue.
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
sydneyman

Ive found that mine will beep and freak out sometimes randomly but its not yet actually braked for no reason. auto high beams freak out a little too when youre on a curvy road and there are porch lights, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.