Adaptive Cruise Control Issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Adaptive Cruise Control Issue?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
97JGCLIMITED

Adaptive Cruise Control Issue?

2012 Grand Cherokee Overland

Within the past several weeks, I have had two situations where the adaptive cruise control didn't reduce the vehicle speed when there was a slower moving car in front of me. In both situations I had to hit the brakes at the last minute to keep from running into the back of the vehicle. There's no status messages indicating any problems with the ACC. Does anyone know if this is a common issue or fixed by a TSB? I plan on mentioning it when I take the Jeep in for its next service next week but thought I would check on here first.

Unread 02-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't recall reading of that issue. Most of issues seem to be throwing a fault or the lens getting dirty. Are you sure you didn't set it, or it got reset, to regular cruise control instead of adaptive cruise? There are two modes of operation.
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
97JGCLIMITED

Nope, I always keep it in the ACC mode. Both before and after the two incidents, it was functioning normally. In both situations, the car in front of me was going probably 10-15 mph slower than I was. At smaller speed differences (~5 mph), I haven't had the problem.
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

ACC: I don't have this feature on my 14 GC but if I did, I would never consider it 100% as opposed to paying strict attention while driving. Matter of time someone get in an accident over a malfunction then will cause law suits.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its not only Jeep, there are a wide variety of brands using ACC. I've read, for safety, ACC type systems are becoming mandatory on long haul big rigs and they don't give drivers the option to turn it off. If you like to live dangerously, cut in front of one of these new rigs and watch its brakes slam on and the driver bounce off the windshield (I exaggerate). Just don't let him or his friends catch up to you
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

You said: If you like to live dangerously, cut in front of one of these new rigs and watch its brakes slam on and the driver bounce off the windshield (I exaggerate). Just don't let him or his friends catch up to you.

I know there is more than likely someone out there who would try such a fool thing and laugh about it, provided they lived through it.

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Government mandates are just chipping away at our freedoms, and like the proverbial frog in the pot of water, we just continue to think everything is great.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly1dog View Post
Government mandates are just chipping away at our freedoms, and like the proverbial frog in the pot of water, we just continue to think everything is great.
I couldn't agree more.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
97JGCLIMITED

How about them Bears??? Let's get back to the subject here if we could.

Took the Jeep to the dealer for service today. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong and there were no updates that needed to be done. They recommended I bring it back next week for them to drive around to see if they could replicate the problem.
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Erikasjgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
Its not only Jeep, there are a wide variety of brands using ACC. I've read, for safety, ACC type systems are becoming mandatory on long haul big rigs and they don't give drivers the option to turn it off. If you like to live dangerously, cut in front of one of these new rigs and watch its brakes slam on and the driver bounce off the windshield (I exaggerate). Just don't let him or his friends catch up to you
Like on the speaker thread, some of your responses are so funny! Thanks a bunch cuz I'm having a Lupus flare and the laughs are much appreciated Cold Case.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Erikasjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
rmiscoord

I love the ACC, I used to drive with CC on all the time, even on long local streets, to ensure no speed trap captures due to speed creep. But the constant adjusting because of so many others not maintaining a constant speed I would have to toggle up and down. I have had some 'surprises' but these are noted in the manual like, when a car slowly moves in front of you while your are accelerating and the sensor does not see him until he is over halfway into your lane etc.. All this means is that you still have to drive and be aware of your surroundings, but for minor adjustments I like being 2.5 seconds behind the car in front of me at all times, no more tail-gaiting.
rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Gunny7
2014 WK 

I've used this.
Love, hate thing.
What I fine, it eventually gets on my Nerves too much.
Distracting.
Rarely use it now.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.