Accessory switch location, Any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Accessory switch location, Any ideas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
trooper1968
2011 WK 

Accessory switch location, Any ideas?

I just installed a Warn Multi-Mount Receiver mount winch, and need a location for the power on/off switch. I was thinking that a location that gave me the option to install a bank of switches would be ideal, especially if I need switches for other accessories in the future.

I see that some have installed switches inside the center console, but I was thinking to the right of the front headlight controls, there seems to be enough room for a Carling Three Position V-Series Switch Holder

Finished dimensions are 3.40 X 2.30 inches

I know cutting holes can be a big deal, but the Carling switch holders look very professional, and allow for less than accurate mounting holes, and you can install flat blanks in the unused holes.

Thoughts? Anyone have a better location?

/cl

trooper1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
drballard33
2011 WK 

I was thinking the same spot, or lower near the gas door switch. Either spot is good because it's a bit out of the way yet close enough to reach either from inside the vehicle or outside the vehicle.
drballard33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
trooper1968
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drballard33 View Post
I was thinking the same spot, or lower near the gas door switch. Either spot is good because it's a bit out of the way yet close enough to reach either from inside the vehicle or outside the vehicle.
Thanks, I was thinking the same, I am going to pull of the panel this weekend and see how much room is behind the panel.

/cl
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
JMP8562

Did you install it ? if so how about a picture
hope you dont mind . i added it here to make it easier for the next person. and they can add to it pictures are a great help.
thanks for sharing trooper1968
WK2 WRIGHT UPS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post13171827
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
trooper1968
2011 WK 

Ok, I took the plunge and installed a bank of switches below the headlight switch (as you can see the space to the right of the headlight switch was a no go unless you want to do some MAJOR cutting).
For those who want to do the same, it is not for the faint of heart because of the amount of cutting to accommodate the depth of the switches. Anyways, I am pretty happy with the outcome, my only beef is that I sometimes hit the gas cap switch with my knee when I get into the Jeep because it is no longer recessed. I might switch the two power wires so that the switch is in the off position when it up instead of down.

Here is the lower portion of the dash opened up. You can see the new winch power, ACC and ground wires hanging out. You tap the orange w/grey wire for dash lights.

/cl

Switches installed and ready to go! The switch includes a red light for power and a green light tapped to the dash lights and comes on when the rest of the dash is light up.

The solenoid for the winch is installed under the hood, with the power cables routed under the truck back to the receiver hitch.

After the install the winch into the receiver, connect the power and you are ready to go.

Anyways, I pretty happy with the way it turn out.

/cl
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Looney
2011 WK 

nice install. looks factory to me...
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Looking good. Do you travel with the winch in the cab, mounted to hitch or left at home? Going to install a hitch up front?

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
trooper1968
2011 WK 

Thanks guys!
I usually have the winch in the cargo area. Although a recent trip to Vancouver where I needed the cargo room, I left it at home. I never thought about leaving it installed on the hitch, but I suspect that it might not be legal to do so.

As for the front, no plans to install a hitch, but I am hoping that ARB comes up with a good looking bull bar bumper.

Rock sliders and a roof rack are next on the agenda.

/cl
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Is the winch secured in the back in case of a MVA? I don't think it is legal. At least for most states since it sticks out so far. Even if it was legal I wouldn't want to.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
JMP8562

Thanks for posting the pictures........ Clean look
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Wk2flatlander
2012 WK 

Cable placement with warn quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1968 View Post
Ok, I took the plunge and installed a bank of switches below the headlight switch (as you can see the space to the right of the headlight switch was a no go unless you want to do some MAJOR cutting)....

/cl
Nice work.

Do you have any pics of running the 2 gauge cable down the side of your jeep with the disconnect? Any words of advice for running this cable?
Wk2flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.