AC Making Periodic Hissing Noise - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2008OverlandCRD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
joshbarnett

AC Making Periodic Hissing Noise

I have a 2015 GC Laredo. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing a hissing sound coming out of the vents in the front panel when the AC is on. The noise is not constant, it seems to correspond to the compressor coming on and off (with it being at its loudest when the compressor kicks on or off, I can't quite tell). The AC works great - I'm in central Arizona at the height of Summer and it cools no problem. I have done some research and it seems it could be one of two things: expansion valve or refrigerant leak. As for the latter, I think if it was a leak, the AC would have stopped working by now, no? The only problem this truly presents is the sound is pretty darn annoying. So if it is the expansion valve making this sound, what could be done about it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 04:06 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Maybe you have a snake in your dash?
bscooter26 likes this.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
joshbarnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
Maybe you have a snake in your dash?
Conceivable, but highly unlikely.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Jeepdaze
2011 WK 

I had this exact problem on my 2011 Hemi two summers ago. It is an indication of losing pressure in the system and it will start cooling less and less over time. I had to have my condenser replaced and was told that wasn't an uncommon problem on older WK2s.

My wife's 2011 Hemi also had this problem, but she needed a new compressor.

Thank God for Mopar MaxLife!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, usually these get noisy when losing refrigerant, but not to the point where cooling efficiency is affected. A nice early warning feature

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 11:12 AM
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My guess is it's normal. If you heard it leaking, it would quit in a day since there is probably not 32oz of R134A in it. It the bleed back from High Head pressure probably at low RPM like at a red light on the lower fan levels. There is a thermal off when it gets to freezing level. That is what turns off the compressor. Like you say, that is just the high-pressure bleeding past the orifice in the expansion valve. If it's dropping water out the drain under the car, it's fine. Both my truck and wife Subie have always done it.

16 Crosstrek, 04 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4, 04 Harley Softail Deuce, 93 YJ 2.5 AX5
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 AM
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My guess is it's normal. If you heard it leaking, it would quit in a day since there is probably not 32oz of R134A in it. It the bleed back from High Head pressure probably at low RPM like at a red light on the lower fan levels. There is a thermal off when it gets to freezing level. That is what turns off the compressor. Like you say, that is just the high-pressure bleeding past the orifice in the expansion valve. If it's dropping water out the drain under the car, it's fine. Both my truck and wife Subie have always done it.

For some reason, Forum will not let me edit above.

Is it cycling too much? Or running out of cool at high speed? If so, it could be low and causing it to freeze too fast.

16 Crosstrek, 04 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4, 04 Harley Softail Deuce, 93 YJ 2.5 AX5
post #8 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

While you are in probation, the forum software isn't going to let you edit. I think you need 10 posts.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
joshbarnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPSAW View Post

For some reason, Forum will not let me edit above.

Is it cycling too much? Or running out of cool at high speed? If so, it could be low and causing it to freeze too fast.
Not running out of cool at high speed. Seems to work totally fine. Compressor comes on and off at seemingly normal intervals. But I will say that when I'm at a light or otherwise stopped, the noise is louder than when I'm driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.