8000 miles between oil changes?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 8000 miles between oil changes??

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

8000 miles between oil changes??

I just bought a new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo x with the 5.7 Hemi and noticed the book says oil changes are every 8000 miles. Has oil advanced that much that we can go that long now? I was always taught for years to do it every 3000 miles. Next question is do you change the oil the first time before the 8000 miles since it is the break in oil?

nolefansjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
JeepCares

The longest it should go without an oil change is 8000 miles (or 6 months.)

The following is from the Owner's Manual:
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this
manual must be done at the times or mileages specified
to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best
vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance
may be needed for vehicles in severe operating
conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip
driving. Inspection and service should also be done
anytime a malfunction is suspected.
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change
indicator system. The oil change indicator system will
remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for
scheduled maintenance.

On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
equipped vehicles, “Oil Change Required” will be displayed
in the EVIC and a single chime will sound,
indicating that an oil change is necessary.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “Change Oil” will flash
in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime
will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will
influence when the “Change Oil” message is displayed.
Depending on operating conditions, the message may
appear as early as 3,500 miles (5 630 km) since last reset.
Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within
the next 500 miles (805 km).
NOTE:
• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the
time since the last oil change. Change your vehicle’s
oil if it has been six months since your last oil change,
even if the oil change indicator message is NOT
illuminated.
• Change your engine oil more often if you drive your
vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
• Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefansjeep View Post
I just bought a new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo x with the 5.7 Hemi and noticed the book says oil changes are every 8000 miles. Has oil advanced that much that we can go that long now? I was always taught for years to do it every 3000 miles. Next question is do you change the oil the first time before the 8000 miles since it is the break in oil?
YES oils (and not just the oil itself, but the additive packages) HAVE changed that much.

And it didn't happen over night.

Cars have had "Normal" service schedules in the 5-7k mile range now for DECADES.

But oil companies, service stations (especially quick-lube joints) and luddittes who "was told by their pappy to do it at X" don't want us to believe it.

Hell, our last Mini Cooper S used an oil change indicator which is based on various ECM sensor inputs (like BMWs have for decades and I believe Jeep is now doing on our WK2s and possibly other of their vehicles - forgive the uncertainty as I'm just getting back into Jeep) recommended 15,000-18,000 miles oil changes.

We followed that indicator, and when we traded it in @ 107k miles and 7 years old it was still not burning a quart of oil between changes and still ran like stink (regardless that those miles represented usage that was demonstrated by the tire and brake burning abuse - 5 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake pads and 3 sets of rotors).

I've personally used M1 products and 10k oil change intervals on every car my family has owned since the early 90s, including a 98 XJ, 99 GC, a bunch of Subarus, a VW turbo, my current other car (Nissan Juke) etc. The highest mileage we kept any of them was 250k on one of the Subarus, but NONE has ever shown the slightest hint of lubrication issues or premature wear.

I've seen oil anaylsis readings come back after 10-12k miles saying the oil was fine too, which is probably why I settled on 10k as being "conservative enough" and simple to remember.

So if not for the oil change indicator in our brandy-new WK2 I'd probably be going FURTHER between changes. I'll probably reluctantly change it at the early stage of 8k on this just for the convenience of following the indicator.

As for the BREAK-IN oil question - few if/any engine manufacturers today use any "special" formulation of oil for break-in. IF THEY DO, then they SPECIFICALLY tell you to change the oil after a certain short break-in period.

I'll have to double-check our new owner's manual, but I'm not under the impression Jeep has done that, which means there is absolutely no need.

I'm sure someone, like the 3k oil luddites, will be by to say you should do it at 100 or 1000 or something, but that's ridiculous. I routinely cut open my oil filters at the first change and never have seen anything that suggested I needed to change them earlier than recommended by the OEM.

Now - unleash the luddite hounds!
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
YES oils (and not just the oil itself, but the additive packages) HAVE changed that much.

And it didn't happen over night.

Cars have had "Normal" service schedules in the 5-7k mile range now for DECADES.

But oil companies, service stations (especially quick-lube joints) and luddittes who "was told by their pappy to do it at X" don't want us to believe it.

Hell, our last Mini Cooper S used an oil change indicator which is based on various ECM sensor inputs (like BMWs have for decades and I believe Jeep is now doing on our WK2s and possibly other of their vehicles - forgive the uncertainty as I'm just getting back into Jeep) recommended 15,000-18,000 miles oil changes.

We followed that indicator, and when we traded it in @ 107k miles and 7 years old it was still not burning a quart of oil between changes and still ran like stink (regardless that those miles represented usage that was demonstrated by the tire and brake burning abuse - 5 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake pads and 3 sets of rotors).

I've personally used M1 products and 10k oil change intervals on every car my family has owned since the early 90s, including a 98 XJ, 99 GC, a bunch of Subarus, a VW turbo, my current other car (Nissan Juke) etc. The highest mileage we kept any of them was 250k on one of the Subarus, but NONE has ever shown the slightest hint of lubrication issues or premature wear.

I've seen oil anaylsis readings come back after 10-12k miles saying the oil was fine too, which is probably why I settled on 10k as being "conservative enough" and simple to remember.

So if not for the oil change indicator in our brandy-new WK2 I'd probably be going FURTHER between changes. I'll probably reluctantly change it at the early stage of 8k on this just for the convenience of following the indicator.

As for the BREAK-IN oil question - few if/any engine manufacturers today use any "special" formulation of oil for break-in. IF THEY DO, then they SPECIFICALLY tell you to change the oil after a certain short break-in period.

I'll have to double-check our new owner's manual, but I'm not under the impression Jeep has done that, which means there is absolutely no need.

I'm sure someone, like the 3k oil luddites, will be by to say you should do it at 100 or 1000 or something, but that's ridiculous. I routinely cut open my oil filters at the first change and never have seen anything that suggested I needed to change them earlier than recommended by the OEM.

Now - unleash the luddite hounds!
If you plan on doing 10k OCI's in your '12 say goodbye to any warranty on the engine.

Change the dang oil when it tells you to.If it tells you to and you only have put 2000 miles on that oil still change it.That 6 months or 8000 miles is the max and never should exceed that no matter what for warranty.
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
If you plan on doing 10k OCI's in your '12 say goodbye to any warranty on the engine.

Change the dang oil when it tells you to.If it tells you to and you only have put 2000 miles on that oil still change it.That 6 months or 8000 miles is the max and never should exceed that no matter what for warranty.
I didn't say I was - but I've wagered vehicles just as expensive against such a bet and never lost. Don't know why it would be different now.

Do you have any idea how Jeep (or any auto manufacturer) would attempt to "void" any part (obviously they cannot void the whole warranty) based on my oil change schedule?

Especially if oil analysis proved the oil was serviceable?

It's not like if I followed 10k intervals I'd TELL THEM I DID...

I would obviously have sufficient receipts for oil and filters to "demonstrate" all applicable services were performed.
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes oils and engines have improved that much, sulfur content is way down both in oil and fuel and there is less blow by contaminants. Manufactures are over cautious and do not factor synthetics into their recommendation. You should routinely keep an eye on oil level and quality, however.

Personally I've been changing oil annually regardless of mileage for decades now. I dunno if I'll go back to that schedule on the WK2 once the free oil changes expire. Dealer changes have been a pretty good deal, and quick/easy recently.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I didn't say I was - but I've wagered vehicles just as expensive against such a bet and never lost. Don't know why it would be different now.

Do you have any idea how Jeep (or any auto manufacturer) would attempt to "void" any part (obviously they cannot void the whole warranty) based on my oil change schedule?

It's not like if I followed 10k intervals I'd TELL THEM I DID...

I would obviously have sufficient receipts for oil and filters to "demonstrate" all applicable services were performed.
Read post #2,it's clearly stated.

Can you get away with 10k+ OCI's? Yeah for awhile but long term there not good.I've had to deal with cleaning the mess under the valve cover on BMW's that run the 15k OCI's,not fun and not cheap for the customer.Wish I had my camera handy for the 2 BMW's I had to clean out.I do have a pic of a GM V6 that ran 10k OCI's,no coolant leaks,no leaks of any kind,no overheating,his only complaint that lead to the teardown was when he did a oil change not much oil drained out and could only put 3qts back in out of a 4.5qt system.

I personally just change every 2k-3k,it's only $30 and a few mins of my time to know that I have fresh and good oil and filter.
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Jdsmitty10

I synthetic and plan I sticking with my normal 5k changes which I do or all my vehicles.. It's just easy to keep track at every 5 k.. Prob get rid of break in oil at 1500-2000 miles. Then even it up at 5k to start my every 5k cycle
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Justal13
2012 WK 

My dealer told me to change the factory fill on my new GC 3.6L at 3500, and sure enough - the warning went off at 3500.0 miles (and far less than 6 months after manufacture). There are several other forum members who also had their's go off at 3500.0 miles also, and some who have not.

It is my understanding that a dealer can change the oil change interval to less than 8000 miles (with your permission only), and some dealers including mine may be setting up the initial change to occur at 3500 miles or 6 months.

However, other members have to the full "8000" miles before their 1st fill without getting a warning.

If you are concerned, check to see if your dealer changed the mileage for the 1st oil change, or has a recommendation for mileage/timing. My dealer gave me a coupon for a free 1st change, although I switched to synthetic at 3500 miles, and had to pay extra for it.

My dealer charges $80 for a synthetic change on my GC. My wifes GM costs exactly the same for synthetic (just flipped 70K miles on a 2008 2.4L Eco and no engine issues - knock on wood) at the local GMC dealer. Her's is also on an 8,000 mile recommended interval, but you can check the EVIC on hers to tell how much oil life is remaining (in %, not miles). Unfortunately, the GC does not tell you how much is remaining, or even if it has actually reset after you or the dealer reset it - so I always would do a reset myself even if the dealer tells me they did it.

The dealer puts a sticker on the door, and I noticed they added only 3500 miles for the next change - so I edited it on the sticker to remind me of when the oil was changed.

I am sure there will be those who argue over when or if to change to synthetic as well. I have changed to synthetic at the 1st change on my last several vehicles and not had any issues with oil usage (I usually trade in the 90K+ mile range, before they hit 100K miles).

Finally, make sure you save all your receipts showing that you are doing your maintenance (particularly if you are doing it yourself or at an independent garage, etc) and oil changes per the owners manual, because Jeep will try to get out of doing warranty work if you have no proof of doing it - as documented by other members on the forums and recommended by JeepCares.

Best luck.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:

Sludge
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Read post #2,it's clearly stated.

Can you get away with 10k+ OCI's? Yeah for awhile but long term there not good.I've had to deal with cleaning the mess under the valve cover on BMW's that run the 15k OCI's,not fun and not cheap for the customer.Wish I had my camera handy for the 2 BMW's I had to clean out.I do have a pic of a GM V6 that ran 10k OCI's,no coolant leaks,no leaks of any kind,no overheating,his only complaint that lead to the teardown was when he did a oil change not much oil drained out and could only put 3qts back in out of a 4.5qt system.
I've been under the valve cover(s) of some of the vehicles we've run at 10k intervals for 100k plus miles on M1 products - not a hint of sludge or build-up.

Never pulled the valve cover on that Cooper S with the 15-18k intervals, so I guess it's possible, but seems unlikely from the rest of the characteristics of the motor. I.E. no problems draining proper amount or refilling same, no symptoms of any kind, so I DOUBT IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Sludge
Well, see my answer above this - if there's no sludge and oil analysis shows the oil is fine, they're not going to be able to.

So YMMV, but I've got DECADES of running 10k changes without problems as evidence to show it works for how WE use vehicles (the we being specifically my wife and I).

We rarely do short hop, we do lots of highway, only limited stop-n-go, and only limited extreme heat or extreme cold.

As I said earlier, I'm going to follow the computer's lead on this one. If the EVIC tells me to change it, so be it - whether that's 3500 or 8000....
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Certain engines are notorious for sludging up even with routine changes (some toyotas were recalled), but if you use pure synthetic you won't have sludge. Dino oil and syn blends perhaps as they can break down and form sludge. All my motors were clean as a whistle. My neighbor who just threw whatever oil in that happened to be on sale in and never changed oil, had some significant sludge at 80,000 miles.

It was a different story 15-20 years ago.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
FAUEE
2011 WK 

Personally, my plan is to use synthetic, and follow the car's oil analysis. Over the past 2 decades they've gotten pretty accurate at estimating oil lifespan using rpm, heat, engine load, etc. An they do build in some extra buffer room to their oil life calculations as well, because when that light comes on you won't be magically in front of an oil change place and do it immediately, some people it may take a week or 2 or 3 before they can get into that. No manufacturer wants to get the reputation of building crappy engines because they set their oil life monitoring to go off exactly when the oil breaks down.

My dad's 911 only requires an oil change every 15k miles. Then again, it also takes like 14 quarts of oil, for an engine under 4 liters in displacement.

I figure if I stockpile Mobil 1 when its on sale at walmart and change it out when the car asks me to, everything should be good. I'm slightly more upset about only 1 weight of oil being acceptable in the Hemi, but luckily it's the same as what the wifey's SUV takes, so it's not a big deal.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
JeepCares

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Sludge
Quote:
Well, see my answer above this - if there's no sludge and oil analysis shows the oil is fine, they're not going to be able to.
It really sounds to me like you believe all dealers go out and look for any way they can to get out of doing warranty work. You asked a simple question. I gave you a simple answer.

Granted, dealers don't make as much money doing warranty work as they do customer pay work, but it's still money. But, if it's determined a repair isn't warranty, a customer can always yank his vehicle out of the dealership and have the work done elsewhere. That means the dealer ends up getting a lot less money.

Manufacturers can inspect failed parts that they pay to replace. Dealers can get the manufacturer involved before they do the repair to make sure it will be covered under warranty. It makes sense, that if there is any doubt on whether an expensive repair would be covered, that a dealer would get a decision ahead of time from the manufacturer.
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
ChrisJS
2012 WK 

The 8,000 mile oil change is not new. My 2005 JGC was specified as 7,500 miles between changes. My 2001 Audi A6 was rated at 10,000 miles. Difference was neither Jeep consumes oil between changes. The Audi drank about a quart every 1,000 miles from new!!! I see no reason to go back to the 3,000 change.
ChrisJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.