8 Speed Transmission Update: Made Shifting Worse - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 8 Speed Transmission Update: Made Shifting Worse

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post

You should consider the 12/18/13 released TSB below. #2 below might be you. On a side note, #1 below is comical, exactly how do you have "harsh...shifts" when the vehicle is "not moving"? Inquiring minds wanna know

(21-007-13 REV. C)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
1. Harsh second gear to first gear/first gear to second gear shifts while using the paddle
shifter when the vehicle is not moving.
2. Upshift Improvements
a. ** 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 upshift quality
b. Lift-foot 1-2 and 2-3 upshift quality
c. Sport mode 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshift quality
d. ECO mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability
e. Normal mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability at mid-throttle
f. Shift schedule changes for improved Drivability on grades or at high altitude **
3. Downshifting Improvements
a. **Ratio fault detection on coasting downshifts**
b. 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 coasting downshift quality
c. All kickdown shift quality
d. All interlocked kickdown shift quality
e. General cold-trip shift quality improvements
4. Transfer Case Shift Improvements
It actually did go from 1st to 2nd gear and lurch when you would go from 2 to 1. Even while stopped it would do it. It was kind of like letting the clutch out on a manual with the brakes on, just no stalling.

loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
...Even while stopped it would do it. It was kind of like letting the clutch out on a manual with the brakes on, just no stalling.
Not arguing just trying to understand. How does a transmission move when vehicle is not moving. I mean, the only thing engaged in a tranny when stopped is the torque converter "holding back" the engine when you have brake applied say at a stoplight....when stopped you can paddle shift to your hearts content but the only thing moving is the electronic display showing your selection...I must be missing something (wouldn't b the first time)
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
David1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Not arguing just trying to understand. How does a transmission move when vehicle is not moving. I mean, the only thing engaged in a tranny when stopped is the torque converter "holding back" the engine when you have brake applied say at a stoplight....when stopped you can paddle shift to your hearts content but the only thing moving is the electronic display showing your selection...I must be missing something (wouldn't b the first time)
Gearsets are changing while stopped and using the paddles so you can start in 2nd gear.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
14summithemi
2014 WK 

makes sense...hopefully this TSB can alleviate your issues.
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
Omair

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
My 14 (October build) v6 shifted perfect for 5000 miles and now all of the sudden upshifts from 1st through 3rd when the trans is cold feels like the trans is going to jump through the floor. Downshifting is fine. Forget about using sport mode.
Been having A LOT of issues with mine particularly the harsh downshifting. The sport mode on mine is AWFUL! I can physically feel heavy knocks and lurching forward movements when the jeep is shifting gears from 1 all the way to gear 7 and vice versa. Btw I've had all the latest flashes applied which haven't fixed anything.
Omair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
Omair

Quote:
You should consider the 12/18/13 released TSB below. #2 below might be you. On a side note, #1 below is comical, exactly how do you have "harsh...shifts" when the vehicle is "not moving"? Inquiring minds wanna know

(21-007-13 REV. C)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
1. Harsh second gear to first gear/first gear to second gear shifts while using the paddle
shifter when the vehicle is not moving.
2. Upshift Improvements
a. ** 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 upshift quality
b. Lift-foot 1-2 and 2-3 upshift quality
c. Sport mode 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshift quality
d. ECO mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability
e. Normal mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability at mid-throttle
f. Shift schedule changes for improved Drivability on grades or at high altitude **
3. Downshifting Improvements
a. **Ratio fault detection on coasting downshifts**
b. 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 coasting downshift quality
c. All kickdown shift quality
d. All interlocked kickdown shift quality
e. General cold-trip shift quality improvements
4. Transfer Case Shift Improvements
Sorry to butt in but I got the 12/18/13 tsb applied to mine. It seemed to shift better for one day. The very next day it went back to performing harsh shifting.
Omair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Bummer that the TSB did not help. All I can suggest is to lean on the dealer to be your advocate and get it fixed with Chrysler's support. Make them open a case thru Jeep/Chrysler Customer Care if they haven't already. It's gonna be up to you to be the "squeaky wheel".
Unread 06-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
Gecko426

Mine does indeed have a harsh 2-1 shift when the vehicle is not moving. Coming to a stop it feels like you got hit from behind as soon as it stops.
Gecko426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
orthogod1

Tranmission shift great now

Just had the TSB for transmission done and It feels like a different car. Better shifting and not as hard. Glad that had a fix. Hope it lasts.
orthogod1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.