8 Speed Transmission Update: Made Shifting Worse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 8 Speed Transmission Update: Made Shifting Worse

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
smdf39
2014 WK 

8 Speed Transmission Update: Made Shifting Worse

We brought our Jeep in for service due to a sluggish transmission, particularly between 2nd and 3rd gear. After the software update, the transmission is now much worse, with a sharp kick between 2nd and 3rd, and now a kick when it downshifts back into 1st. We've driven it about 40 miles since the service visit. Has anyone out there had an update that made shifting worse?

smdf39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Should not have made it worse. Had mine just done last week, works better than before. Does yours do this when it's stone cold or after warm up or all the time? If so, I'd take it back to dealer and have them drive it as compared to a new one they have on the lot for sale. I know somewhere on this forum site there's been others with transmission issues that lead to a faulty modulator.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
smdf39
2014 WK 

Does it all the time. Just seems odd to have a software update make shifting worse. I thought maybe it would take some time for the transmission to complete the "re-learn" cycle but it hasn't improved.
smdf39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Hope you get this issue resolved. I also have the 3.6L V6 in mine and if I would have known there was a difference in the type of tranny from what's in the V6 and the G.C. Hemi, I would have bought mine with the Hemi instead. Had a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with the Pentastar engine and was more than satisfied with that vehicle and engine and since I didn't have any intentions of needing my G.C. for towing, went with the Pentastar but then the Wrangler had a 6 speed tranny that had no issues at all while I had it. I figured if I needed to do any towing, I'd use my 2013 Ram 1500 with Hemi and 6 speed which is a great truck and more than satisfied with that set up. Would like to know if anyone out there that has the 2014 G.C. Hemi 8 speed with tranny built in Germany have any shifting issues like we have on ours with the Pentastar engine.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Omair

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdf39 View Post
We brought our Jeep in for service due to a sluggish transmission, particularly between 2nd and 3rd gear. After the software update, the transmission is now much worse, with a sharp kick between 2nd and 3rd, and now a kick when it downshifts back into 1st. We've driven it about 40 miles since the service visit. Has anyone out there had an update that made shifting worse?
Hello
My wife and I have a 2014 jeep GC as well and have been dealing with transmission issues since day one. I've had all the latest flashes applied and they harsh upshifting and downshift is still there. It is worse in sport mode as well. My car is in the repair shop with my dealer. It seems like I might need a new control valve body? I'm not sure on exactly what that means. The guy over the phone didn't give me much information. I will contact my dealer Monday and find out more. I hope they won't have to tear apart my factory fitted transmission to do this. How bad would it be if they end up opening the trnamission considering I only have 3000 miles on it? Will this cause me transmission issues in the future? Possibly transmission failures? If anyone has any information about this please feel free to share it with us worried owners.
Omair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
Would like to know if anyone out there that has the 2014 G.C. Hemi 8 speed with tranny built in Germany have any shifting issues like we have on ours with the Pentastar engine.
None at all with mine - love the 8 speed mated to the V8. There has been an update bulletin issued for the V8 ZF to correct a minor issue to make some downshifts smoother. Haven't done the update as it's hardly noticeable.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
golfercat
2014 WK 

No transmission issues with my July 13 build Hemi Summit after 10K miles. Nice smooth shifts. Normally leave it in ECO mode.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

My 2014 Summit 4X4 V8 transmission works well. Glad the V8's got the German built ZF trans instead of the US built 8 speed trans for the 6 cylinder models. I know it shouldn't matter where its built but I knew the 6 cylinder trans would have problems. And I was correct.
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Omair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
My 2014 Summit 4X4 V8 transmission works well. Glad the V8's got the German built ZF trans instead of the US built 8 speed trans for the 6 cylinder models. I know it shouldn't matter where its built but I knew the 6 cylinder trans would have problems. And I was correct.
How did you know that the v6 transmissions were going to have problems?
Omair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Racer83L
2014 WK 

to those having shift issues, how many miles have you given the Jeep before taking it into service? The owners manual states

"The electronically-controlled transmission provides a
precise shift schedule. The transmission electronics are
self-calibrating; therefore, the first few shifts on a new
vehicle may be somewhat abrupt. This is a normal
condition, and precision shifts will develop within a few
hundred miles (kilometers)."

I wonder if you take it in, they flash the computer (starting the calibration cycle over) and it has not been driven long enough to adequately recalibrate? Could it be a vicious cycle sort of thing?
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair View Post
Hello
My wife and I have a 2014 jeep GC as well and have been dealing with transmission issues since day one. I've had all the latest flashes applied and they harsh upshifting and downshift is still there. It is worse in sport mode as well. My car is in the repair shop with my dealer. It seems like I might need a new control valve body? I'm not sure on exactly what that means. The guy over the phone didn't give me much information. I will contact my dealer Monday and find out more. I hope they won't have to tear apart my factory fitted transmission to do this. How bad would it be if they end up opening the trnamission considering I only have 3000 miles on it? Will this cause me transmission issues in the future? Possibly transmission failures? If anyone has any information about this please feel free to share it with us worried owners.
To replace the valve body they shouldn't even have to remove the transmission, it should be as simple as dropping the oil pan.

Quote:
It's not so much people knew they were going to have problems, but the 8HP70 that is in the V8's and Diesel's are tried and true through audi and BMW etc. The 845RE behind the V6 was brand new with the grand cherokee, it was in the charger and 300 as well, but it hadn't had near as much real world application. Also the Kokomo Transmission plant hasn't always been known for quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
to those having shift issues, how many miles have you given the Jeep before taking it into service? The owners manual states

"The electronically-controlled transmission provides a
precise shift schedule. The transmission electronics are
self-calibrating; therefore, the first few shifts on a new
vehicle may be somewhat abrupt. This is a normal
condition, and precision shifts will develop within a few
hundred miles (kilometers)."

I wonder if you take it in, they flash the computer (starting the calibration cycle over) and it has not been driven long enough to adequately recalibrate? Could it be a vicious cycle sort of thing?
Part of the TSB says to NOT clear the adaptives, I'm sure mistakes will be made but for the most part they shouldn't be cleared.

To the OP, take it back to the dealer and have them go for a test drive with YOU driving, don't let them take it to the back and then pretend to drive it and give it back saying nothing is wrong. A lot of the dealers around here like to do that.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
14summithemi
2014 WK 

My '14 Summit Hemi (11/6 build) had minor non-smooth up/down shifts under mild acceleration. It would just behave in a slightly unpredictable way and I just chalked it up to the long learning curve (up to 6,000 miles) this tranny goes through to fully define it's behavior until I saw the TSB for this and had it performed when I went in for the satellite antennae replacement. It made an immediate difference but, again, it was not a real problem to begin with.

Quote:
I agree with the 'figured there would be issues" comment. The reason is not German v. US made. It's OEM v. Modified OEM. The V8/8spd ZF is sourced from ZF and not touched mechanically at all, just Chrysler programming is added. This is the case with all the other applications of this exact tranny over the last 2-3 years since intro. However, the V6 version is manufactured by Chrysler in US under license from ZF AND MODIFIED from it's original design by Chrysler not the OEM to better fit their application. Chrysler has stated they "beef it up" with heavier duty components to handle the higher torque requirements of their V6. You are bound to have issues when you take someone else's tranny and modify it to your application and those issues are bound to be addressed as customers field test it for the "modifier", just sayin'
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
David1
2014 WK 

My 14 (October build) v6 shifted perfect for 5000 miles and now all of the sudden upshifts from 1st through 3rd when the trans is cold feels like the trans is going to jump through the floor. Downshifting is fine. Forget about using sport mode.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
My 14 (October build) v6 shifted perfect for 5000 miles and now all of the sudden upshifts from 1st through 3rd when the trans is cold feels like the trans is going to jump through the floor. Downshifting is fine. Forget about using sport mode.
You should consider the 12/18/13 released TSB below. #2 below might be you. On a side note, #1 below is comical, exactly how do you have "harsh...shifts" when the vehicle is "not moving"? Inquiring minds wanna know

(21-007-13 REV. C)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
1. Harsh second gear to first gear/first gear to second gear shifts while using the paddle
shifter when the vehicle is not moving.
2. Upshift Improvements
a. ** 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 upshift quality
b. Lift-foot 1-2 and 2-3 upshift quality
c. Sport mode 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshift quality
d. ECO mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability
e. Normal mode shift schedule changes for improved drivability at mid-throttle
f. Shift schedule changes for improved Drivability on grades or at high altitude **
3. Downshifting Improvements
a. **Ratio fault detection on coasting downshifts**
b. 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 coasting downshift quality
c. All kickdown shift quality
d. All interlocked kickdown shift quality
e. General cold-trip shift quality improvements
4. Transfer Case Shift Improvements
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
sixxshooter

My summit grand cherokee v6 with a 8/13 build date works fine with me . Transmission switches gears as smooth as a baby's butt . No problems what so ever . ( knock on wood ) 8,106 miles on my baby .
sixxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.