730N RHR navigation can't find points of interest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 730N RHR navigation can't find points of interest

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
nathantw
2012 WK 

730N RHR navigation can't find points of interest

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone else is running into the same situation I am with the 730N RHR navigation where it doesn't seem to find any useful points of interest? I tried to find the Monterey Aquarium and it doesn't know where that is. I tried to find Outback Steakhouse and it found a ton that were over 1500 miles away or more. It knows my location but the amount of places it seems to have in its database is pretty small.

I'm used to using a Garmin 60CSx for my navigation and it seemed to be able to find places that were nearby and certainly the Monterey Aquarium or Outback Steakhouse. The 730N not being able to find nearby waypoints is a huge drawback.

Have any of you run into situations like I have or am I just asking too much of it? I might need to keep the Garmin unit handy just in case my cell phone or the 730N can't find something close by.

Thanks.

Nathan

nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
mrgorates

Did you setup your location to allows current location. If you didn't setup your location, it's searching what is memorize before. I think that's why it can't find anything.
mrgorates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgorates View Post
Did you setup your location to allows current location. If you didn't setup your location, it's searching what is memorize before. I think that's why it can't find anything.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I set up the location the day after I picked up the car. That was one of the reasons why I was a bit confused as to why it wants to find places so far away. I'm just assuming here, but I thought that since it used the Sirius satellite for traffic that it would also get updated maps and points of interest too.

I'd really like to know how and where it gets its point of interest database because it just doesn't seem all that complete if it's coming from a satellite service. Again, that was one huge disappointment with what would otherwise be a pretty good nav/radio system.

...I just did a search and found that it uses Navteq. I guess I know where to go if I want a newer database and maps in Spring 2012. Strange that the Garmin 60CSx unit uses the same database and is able to find more points of interests. I guess I'll play with the 730N unit more tonight and see what the problem is.

Nathan

Last edited by nathantw; 11-21-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The POIs are programmed in by NAVTEQ, there is no way to update them in the 730N short of loading a new NAVREQ data base, one of the annoying quirks of the 730... no custom POIs. These are not provided via the satellite, although the satellite radio has a travel link feature... which are not POIs.

My 730 finds load of POIs based on the current vehicle location (no set up needed as thats the default). Perhaps there is something wrong with your radio. There have been many 730N quirks reported, such as losing home address and displaying blank screens. I think I've read reports of POIs presented for the wrong location, but I could be mistaken.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
BWidget
2011 WK 

You must be a geocacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone else is running into the same situation I am with the 730N RHR navigation where it doesn't seem to find any useful points of interest? I tried to find the Monterey Aquarium and it doesn't know where that is. I tried to find Outback Steakhouse and it found a ton that were over 1500 miles away or more. It knows my location but the amount of places it seems to have in its database is pretty small.

I'm used to using a Garmin 60CSx for my navigation and it seemed to be able to find places that were nearby and certainly the Monterey Aquarium or Outback Steakhouse. The 730N not being able to find nearby waypoints is a huge drawback.

Have any of you run into situations like I have or am I just asking too much of it? I might need to keep the Garmin unit handy just in case my cell phone or the 730N can't find something close by.

Thanks.

Nathan

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4, Hemi, Off Road II Package
<Sold> 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport, 4" Pro-Comp lift, 33" BFG M/T
BWidget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWidget View Post
You must be a geocacher.
Hee-hee. At one time I had a GPS V but it was stolen and I wanted something that was equivalent to it. The 60CSx was the best update. I did dabble in geocaching too. It was fun, but after one bad experience I kind of quit doing it.

On a side note, I was able to get the Monterey Bay Aquarium and a close-by Outback Steakhouse. I just need more experience using it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.