6500 vs 6800GVW....what does this mean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 6500 vs 6800GVW....what does this mean?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

6500 vs 6800GVW....what does this mean?

Ok so im a bit confused on the 6500 vs 6800GVW. What does this mean in the sense of how does it affect Payload, or Towing capacity? You can purchase a 2013 Laredo X hemi with a tow package and it will tow 7200lbs, and have a 6500lb GVW, or a 2013 Limited hemi with tow package and tow 7200lbs and have a 6800lb GVW? Im confused on this.

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
lysol
2013 WK 

Google is your friend my friend.

But to answer your thread, GVW (6500lbs & 6800lbs) is Gross Vehicle Weight. Your vehicle should never exceed this weight. This includes gas and all fluids, passengers, luggage, etc... for the vehicle only

The towing capacity (7200lbs) is the maximum weight of the object you are towing.

On a side note, if you read more, you'll see that the tongue rating on the tow package for the Jeep is 500lbs. that is how much downward force is being applied to the hitch.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Google is your friend my friend.

But to answer your thread, GVW (6500lbs & 6800lbs) is Gross Vehicle Weight. Your vehicle should never exceed this weight. This includes gas and all fluids, passengers, luggage, etc... for the vehicle only

The towing capacity (7200lbs) is the maximum weight of the object you are towing.

On a side note, if you read more, you'll see that the tongue rating on the tow package for the Jeep is 500lbs. that is how much downward force is being applied to the hitch.
I know what GVW is....I didnt ask the question clearly enough. a Limited 4x4 hemi with trailer tow package (6800gvw) vs a laredo x hemi 4x4 with trailer tow package (6500gvw) both have the same payload capacity and towing capacity. I was just a little confused on they didnt change towing capacity with the HD vs SD brakes.

Rubicon Express Long Arm
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
WvTaco
2011 WK 

ok 4x4 hemi
larado gvw is 6500 payload is 1480 but curb weight is 5020
limited gvw is 6800 payload is 1660 but curb is 5150
overland gvw is 6800 payload is 1590 but curb is 5210
on 11 models.

if i had to guess the awnser would be quadra lift.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
Ok so im a bit confused on the 6500 vs 6800GVW. What does this mean in the sense of how does it affect Payload, or Towing capacity? You can purchase a 2013 Laredo X hemi with a tow package and it will tow 7200lbs, and have a 6500lb GVW, or a 2013 Limited hemi with tow package and tow 7200lbs and have a 6800lb GVW? Im confused on this.
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - how much you can put on its four wheels. This is determined from the frame, engine, suspension, tyres, brakes, &c.

GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Weight limit of vehicle and towed load (trailer + payload.)

Tongue Weight = The "downforce" on the trailer hitch/tow point. Usually 10% or less of towed weight (typically, a 1,500# tow rating allows for 150# of tongue weight. A 5,000# tow rating can be anywhere between an allowed 200-500# tongue weight - may be more, may be less.) Tongue weight can be changed by positioning of the load on the trailer, even though total weight does not change.

"Dry Weight" = Vehicle, no fuel, no driver, no passengers.

"Wet weight" = Vehicle, full fluids. May include driver.

"Kerb weight"/"Curb weight" = Vehicle, full fluids, unloaded. Typically does not include driver, and usually also considered "wet weight" (I'm thinking back to ground school for wet weight - but wet weight of an airplane usually does not include anything beyond airframe, engine, fuel/fluids.)

"Payload," obviously, is the difference between GVWR & kerb weight.

Can you overload past GVWR? Often, yes - but you'd better have better tyres than OEM, you'd better drive carefully, and you'd damned well better think ahead WRT stops! Being "overweight" (as far as your GVWR) usually makes any roads incidents automatically your fault, since you're not likely to be able to control your vehicle (steering & braking will both suffer.)
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - how much you can put on its four wheels. This is determined from the frame, engine, suspension, tyres, brakes, &c.

GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Weight limit of vehicle and towed load (trailer + payload.)

Tongue Weight = The "downforce" on the trailer hitch/tow point. Usually 10% or less of towed weight (typically, a 1,500# tow rating allows for 150# of tongue weight. A 5,000# tow rating can be anywhere between an allowed 200-500# tongue weight - may be more, may be less.) Tongue weight can be changed by positioning of the load on the trailer, even though total weight does not change.

"Dry Weight" = Vehicle, no fuel, no driver, no passengers.

"Wet weight" = Vehicle, full fluids. May include driver.

"Kerb weight"/"Curb weight" = Vehicle, full fluids, unloaded. Typically does not include driver, and usually also considered "wet weight" (I'm thinking back to ground school for wet weight - but wet weight of an airplane usually does not include anything beyond airframe, engine, fuel/fluids.)

"Payload," obviously, is the difference between GVWR & kerb weight.

Can you overload past GVWR? Often, yes - but you'd better have better tyres than OEM, you'd better drive carefully, and you'd damned well better think ahead WRT stops! Being "overweight" (as far as your GVWR) usually makes any roads incidents automatically your fault, since you're not likely to be able to control your vehicle (steering & braking will both suffer.)
I understand all of what you said above but I was just confused on why they only change the GVW by 300lbs and totally change brakes on jeep, but yet it doesnt provide any increased trailer towing capacity.

Rubicon Express Long Arm
Bestop Super top

Unread 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
lysol
2013 WK 

Quote:
I understand all of what you said above but I was just confused on why they only change the GVW by 300lbs and totally change brakes on jeep, but yet it doesnt provide any increased trailer towing capacity.
Have you seen the video where they loaded a JGC to the max and performed the "moose test"?

Maybe this has something to do with it?
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
tdbmd

Sort of a related question, is the 2014 V6 rated for over 6000 lbs GVWR? The reason that I ask is that we may be able to write it off as a work truck if over 6000 lbs
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Same body,same trans,same engine so it will not change the tow limit.The different suspension will effect GVWR though but not max tow limits.
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
Sort of a related question, is the 2014 V6 rated for over 6000 lbs GVWR? The reason that I ask is that we may be able to write it off as a work truck if over 6000 lbs
6500 it seems for both 2wd and 4x4

WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
tdbmd

Thanks
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.