4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #91
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

running a 4wd in 2wd without lockout hubs won't make much difference, because everything is still turning.. it's just that the front drive train is being driven the tires instead of the driveshaft.

We went through this over in the Durango Club.. several Gen-I models had a 2WD position, but it didn't make a measurable difference in MPG unless you dropped the front driveshaft (and even then it wasn't all that much, as the front axle is still spinning).

YMMV..

...tom

Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #92
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Understood for sure - but it DOES appear to be a pretty isolated failure
Just a couple comments I wanted to make. I want to dispel the notion that this is an isolated failure. When I first reported this problem back in March my service manager informed me he had three others including mine. When I spoke with him earlier this week to relay the latest info about others being fixed he informed me that he now has seven customers including me that have all had 4WD failures on the beaches of NC. Keep in mind that is seven reported failures from a single dealership located 140 miles from the coast. He did also inform me that the Chrysler engineer he has been working with have recreated the failure with one of their test vehicles and are still trying to find out if there is a single root cause to the failure of if there are multiple causes. So there is still no definitive word from Chrysler even though individual dealerships have been able to diagnose and fix some of the failures on a customer-by-customer basis.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #93
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani View Post
Just a couple comments I wanted to make. I want to dispel the notion that this is an isolated failure. When I first reported this problem back in March my service manager informed me he had three others including mine. When I spoke with him earlier this week to relay the latest info about others being fixed he informed me that he now has seven customers including me that have all had 4WD failures on the beaches of NC. Keep in mind that is seven reported failures from a single dealership located 140 miles from the coast. He did also inform me that the Chrysler engineer he has been working with have recreated the failure with one of their test vehicles and are still trying to find out if there is a single root cause to the failure of if there are multiple causes. So there is still no definitive word from Chrysler even though individual dealerships have been able to diagnose and fix some of the failures on a customer-by-customer basis.
Thanks a lot for the info! Please keep us posted!!
Unread 05-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #94
davidleigh85
2012 WK 

Hi jgiuliani,

Please continue to keep us updated. I took delivery of my new GC this week, and took it to the beach today. The exact same thing happened to me, except I managed to get the car to bitumen without a tow. The "SERV 4WD" and "Service air suspension" messages were showing. As soon as I hit the bitumen, it all went back to normal. As soon as I saw the messages, my heart sank (as I've read about this problem prior to receiving the car). I'm taking it into the workshop this week and will post the outcome once I know.
davidleigh85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #95
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleigh85 View Post
Hi jgiuliani,

Please continue to keep us updated. I took delivery of my new GC this week, and took it to the beach today. The exact same thing happened to me, except I managed to get the car to bitumen without a tow. The "SERV 4WD" and "Service air suspension" messages were showing. As soon as I hit the bitumen, it all went back to normal. As soon as I saw the messages, my heart sank (as I've read about this problem prior to receiving the car). I'm taking it into the workshop this week and will post the outcome once I know.
That really sucks. I'm anxious to take my Jeep to Pismo beach and see how she does. I plan to run it in the rock/mud setting as i think the sand/snow setting is creating to much heat. I want to know if this is going to be an issue sooner then later.
If it is, I'll look at getting something else. My friends/family make at least 2-3 trips a year out there and having a vehicle that can handle it is an absolute must for me.
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #96
z06vette1

I experienced this same issue and it was related to a short in the transfer case switch. Pm me and I can send you the part number. I have spent considerable time on the beach since and worked it pretty hard in auto and sand mud mode and saw no noticeable increase in tranny temp
z06vette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #97
davidleigh85
2012 WK 

Took my Jeep in today to get looked at - they just rang and said they did a software update which has fixed the problem. I only took delivery of the car last week, so I think it's pretty slack they didn't update the software before delivery!
Guess I won't know if it has fixed the problem until I take it on the beach this weekend!!
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #98
davidleigh85
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani View Post
jgiuliani, has the problem been fixed for you yet? Because the TSB update 08-034-12 is supposed to fix this problem. The code you got U0415-00 is referred to in this TSB. This is the update that my dealer did today. They say it will fix the problem, but I won't know for sure until I hit the beach this weekend.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0803412.pdf
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #99
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleigh85 View Post
jgiuliani, has the problem been fixed for you yet? Because the TSB update 08-034-12 is supposed to fix this problem. The code you got U0415-00 is referred to in this TSB. This is the update that my dealer did today. They say it will fix the problem, but I won't know for sure until I hit the beach this weekend.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0803412.pdf
Not yet. I'll have to call my dealer to see what the lastest information is on his end. That TSB specifically refers to vehicles that have air suspension, which mine doesn't. So it could be a flash for the ASCM if I had one, or it could be a bad transfer switch as z06vette1's dealer has found. It doesn't sound like a one-size-fits-all solution to the problem Jeep/Chrysler has created with driving in sand.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #100
f1anatic

So what do these vehicles with known failures have in common. Is it isolated to a certain production run? A range of VIN numbers? A certain trim?
f1anatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #101
icrisps

4WD problem in sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post
So what do these vehicles with known failures have in common. Is it isolated to a certain production run? A range of VIN numbers? A certain trim?
I had the same problem in sand. Mine is a 2012 Diesel Overland - AUS.
icrisps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #102
chrisbradley_20
2011 WK 

I have a "first batch" 2011 Laredo x 5.7 with ORA and selec-terrain. I had it on the obx beach last year for a week and ran it fairly hard with no probs. I've since had it off road quite a bit plus in snow several times and used the selec-terrain for each situation. Like I said I've experienced no problems but after reading this thread, I'm kinda torn as to what to do. Software fix or not? Going back to corolla,nc in two weeks I guess I'll just leave well enough alone and try to monitor it.
Fingers crossed lol.
chrisbradley_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #103
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

Chris, let us know how you make out. I'll be there second week of July.
My gf's dad is my service manager and I've already sent him this thread telling him he better bring spare parts with him on our trip down
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #104
chrisbradley_20
2011 WK 

I'll be sure to update after my trip. Got some new discoverer at3's on this week so hopefully thatll at least give me a leg up
chrisbradley_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #105
davidleigh85
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrisps

I had the same problem in sand. Mine is a 2012 Diesel Overland - AUS.
icrisps, has your problem been rectified? If so, how?

2012 Laredo 3.0L CRD
Stone White
QDII and QuadraLift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.