4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #61
eibyer

Interesting thread. I hate that thought of the 4WD owners being beta testers for buggy software.

eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #62
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys View Post
I just took my relatively new 2012 Overland Hemi (with ORA II / QD) down a long trail here in Colorado. I drove for several miles on loose dirt in 4H with Select-Terrain on "Sand/Mud", and then "Service 4WD" light came on. The 4WD system continued to operate normally, however, except for the light.

I turned the car off and back on, and the light was gone, so I kept going. A few miles later, same thing. Now I am starting to get worried, as the trail is essentially a 12-mile long descent, with no way out except back up the hill, and it was highly unlikely I'd make it out without 4WD. But everything was still operating fine, except for the light, and I was not in any mood to turn back around.

For some reason, it occurred to me that I had never driven this long a distance before in Sand/Mud mode, so I "rebooted" the car (again, clearing the light), and left it in Auto for the remainder of the descent (another 8 miles, maybe). No problems whatsoever.

On the way back up, I kept it in 4L and Sand/Mud mode the whole time, and again had no problems.

I suspect the vehicle does not like being left in 4H in Sand/Mud mode for a long period. Maybe too much heat generation in the transfer case with the variable torque split changing all the time. Running it in 4L locks the transfer case, which explains why it would tolerate that better.

I will ask the dealer tomorrow when I bring the car in (one of their wheel weights fell off on the trail, ) to check the codes and see if he can tell me what happened - but that's my theory.
This seems like a logical explanation... I appreciate your thoughts on this because I will be doing a lot of muddy road driving (Nebraska Dirt Roads + rain/snow= Mess) as well as getting through deep snow (sometimes with a layer of ice underneath.. quite challenging). I anticipate using the QTII settings in 4hi..... now I know what to expect. It's too bad because the way you have to drive this stuff is all about momentum... 4hi > 4low. Maybe I'll just stick to the auto setting. I wish there was a temp gauge for the transfer case and transmission. That would be a cool option for the ORA package.
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #63
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

Chrazy-Chris

Thanks for the tip. We plan on making several off road excursions this spring and will keep it in the Low range auto mode. I can't wait to see if we are able to traverse Hancock pass in the collegiate peaks area. It's good to hear from another Colorado Springs person.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #64
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

Well don't take it as a tip from me... I was just applying what avalys said.... I don't even have my Jeep yet. It sounds like the safe bet is to stick to Auto for 4hi and use 4low for the other setting if you're going to have it there for awhile.

From my experience with other 4x4s, you also don't want to keep it in 4low for too long unless you're pretty much "crawling" the entire time because it is geared for low speed, high torque. I never used 4low much in Nebraska because "crawling" through deep mud or deep snow is just asking to get stuck... you want to be able to just keep your momentum going and expect to have all 4 tires spinning. Climbing up the Rocky Mountains would be a different story.

I'm pretty excited to make the move to CO. I've been cooped up in Los Angeles for a few years now and am ready to get back to the great outdoors.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #65
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

Welcome back to high altitude and attitude Love CA, but nothing like living in the sky.
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #66
gloworm
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris

This seems like a logical explanation... I appreciate your thoughts on this because I will be doing a lot of muddy road driving (Nebraska Dirt Roads + rain/snow= Mess) as well as getting through deep snow (sometimes with a layer of ice underneath.. quite challenging). I anticipate using the QTII settings in 4hi..... now I know what to expect. It's too bad because the way you have to drive this stuff is all about momentum... 4hi > 4low. Maybe I'll just stick to the auto setting. I wish there was a temp gauge for the transfer case and transmission. That would be a cool option for the ORA package.
I have just got my European diesel spec overland summit and it features transmission temp gauge in the menu :-)
gloworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #67
z06vette1

I was finally able to have the dealer capture a code thrown by the four wheel drive failure that I experienced within the first 100 yards that I had driven on the beach. The jeep is finally "fixed" or so they say it was a front axle wheel speed sensor? I will update further when I look at the service invoice. I hope to help the others that have had this unresolved issue. I don't believe that it is attributed to excessive slippage or heat like same may have claimed. Glad to finally have some objective data from the dealer
z06vette1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #68
jgiuliani

That's awesome z06vett1, once I see your post I'll forward the information on to my service manager to see what he has to say. thanks!
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #69
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

gloworm

I was reviewing the various functions within the EVIC the other day and you can scroll through to a screen that reports the trans temp.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #70
z06vette1

Newirth motors in Wilmington NC was able to finally solve this issue. I will post the exact sensor as soon as I see the invoice my wife took the car to the dealer and I have not seen the work order myself. H
z06vette1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #71
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

Great, glad to hear it's getting fixed and that it sounds like it turned out not to be an overheating/overworking issue. ColoradoGrand- which trim do you have? I wonder if that is a feature on all EVICs or just the Overland.
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #72
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Is it only in 4-low that the transfer case is locked? I've never had a vehicle with a locking or limited slip transfer case, only the typical locked ones, I guess. I've only ever had Ford Rangers that were 4x4 - I assume even in 4-high these were a "locked" transfer case.
onebluemcm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #73
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
Great, glad to hear it's getting fixed and that it sounds like it turned out not to be an overheating/overworking issue. ColoradoGrand- which trim do you have? I wonder if that is a feature on all EVICs or just the Overland.
My larado x has it. It's in the menu with oil pressure, oil temp, and engine hours.

Just thInk of the high range as a clutch LSD diff
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #74
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Is it only in 4-low that the transfer case is locked? I've never had a vehicle with a locking or limited slip transfer case, only the typical locked ones, I guess. I've only ever had Ford Rangers that were 4x4 - I assume even in 4-high these were a "locked" transfer case.
By the very nature of the system there are very few (if any)? AWD systems that use a locking transfer case, UNLESS it only locks under certain circumstances. And truthfully, any system that is on all (or can be on all) the time is really an AWD system - even if it's got the basic architecture of a 4wd system (i.e. transfer case with front and rear differentials).

You don't want a locked transfer case under most driving conditions, which is why systems like the QT1 and QT2 are designed to vary torque distribution front-to-rear under so many circumstances.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #75
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

So, and I think I know the answer to this, with the system in the new GCs, you cannot ever get it truly into a 2WD/rear wheel drive only mode - correct? I'm realizing this now, but wasn't totally aware of it I guess pre-purchase. It is marketed as a "4x4", so I guess I kind of assumed that it would have a 2WD mode. Normally I research the h#ll out of everything, probably assumed too much with this one though...
onebluemcm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.