4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #46
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersplash View Post
I want to say that it's a good thing that nothing is broken but now I'm always going to have this feeling that my Jeep will break down when I need it most. Fortunately mine is still going strong as I am currently sitting on the beach at Ft Fisher and even helped dislodge a Santa Fe that was sunk down to the chassis. I have been using 4-lo all day just to be safe.
That's good to hear. Are you running the stock 18" Michelin's?

What do you all thing about their manual override (putting the transfer case into neutral and then back into 4-hi or 4-lo to reset the computer to get it moving again) if I experience the dreaded SERV 4WD light next time on the beach? Think that will really work?

jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #47
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

What a disappointing response from the tech. These things better be made a lot better than that. I don't believe a 4wd system should shut down from wheel spin like that, especially when I've seen Jeep marketing this thing as "the most capable Jeep ever." I think it sounds more like an electrical gremlin shut it down but that doesn't mean it's supposed to. These newer 4wd systems with all the sensors, traction control, ABS, etc. are even designed to KEEP the wheels spinning in some cases, to maintain momentum when necessary. The tech telling you it shut down on purpose from too much wheel spin sounds like BS. At least they are working with you on a true fix.

"Jeep Cares" if you're reading this, could you weigh in?
MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #48
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani View Post

What do you all thing about their manual override (putting the transfer case into neutral and then back into 4-hi or 4-lo to reset the computer to get it moving again) if I experience the dreaded SERV 4WD light next time on the beach? Think that will really work?
I think cycling the transfer case to N then back would be worth a shot. If that does not work, put it back in auto, disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 15 minutes, reconnect the negative cable, and then try the 4WD again.

Furthermore, 4low should be discourage in sand, unless you're climbing a hill, or towing someone. You will essentially spin the tires faster with the lower ratio.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #49
WvTaco
2011 WK 

do u think cause of the select terrain that allows the transfer of power to the front and rear in high range,(90 to either axle) maybe the clutches in the transfer case were over heating and it disengauged to not over heat the unit.

but in low it is low 50-50 power no slip in the case. so it would not over heat the low range.
how about 4 lo and like 3rd gear lock.
i use to 4wheel all the time hit low range *** soon as i need 4x4, and woudl be crusing in 5th at 30 mph some times. i do remember i could do abou 45-48mph before i hit the rev limit in 5th in low range.

also qt1 in its 48-52 split wouldnt over heat like that either at least i dont think.

ideas?
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #50
rangersplash
2011 WK 

Quote:
Negative, after a lot of hard work I convinced the wife to let me get new tires. I have Nitto Crossteks which I think is a cross between an A/S and an A/T but I don't really care, they were buy 2 get 2 free and haven't failed me yet.

The cycling thing might work. I carry a code puller with me n hopes that if something goes wrong I can clear the code and all will be good. I tried to be a little more aggressive today on the beach by cutting through the deeper sand and trying out the various selec-terrain settings although I kept it in sand/mud and 4-lo most of the time. The one thing I noticed and liked was that if you shut off the Jeep while in 4-lo, it retains both 4-lo and the selec-terrain setting you were last in when you restart. Here's a motivational pic to get you back out in the sand
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
jgiuliani

You're killing me man. That was the day I had planned!
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #52
TShooter1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
do u think cause of the select terrain that allows the transfer of power to the front and rear in high range,(90 to either axle) maybe the clutches in the transfer case were over heating and it disengauged to not over heat the unit.

but in low it is low 50-50 power no slip in the case. so it would not over heat the low range.
how about 4 lo and like 3rd gear lock.
i use to 4wheel all the time hit low range *** soon as i need 4x4, and woudl be crusing in 5th at 30 mph some times. i do remember i could do abou 45-48mph before i hit the rev limit in 5th in low range.

also qt1 in its 48-52 split wouldnt over heat like that either at least i dont think.

ideas?
that's kind of what I was thinkin some overheating driving over a mile or so in the soft stuff... but I also have to agree with Harrel79 and Smitty10 with the Bull**** factor. Guess it time to head to the Delaware Beach and find out.
TShooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #53
txwest
2012 WK 

This was after 5-6 miles of very soft sand. Decided to turn into the North wind to bring the temps back down. I am not a fan of 205deg thermostats. Need to get that aux fan installed.....

But, I didn't have any issues with a service light. That just s***x.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #54
txwest
2012 WK 

forumrunner_20120324_125508.jpg

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #55
jeeprenzag
2012 WK 

Quote:
Oh, also met a fellow forum member in the waiting room trying to get his problems fixed so not a bad experience in all.
jgiuliani,
It was nice meeting you too!
See you on the beach; and hopefully you won't have this issue repeat itself!
jeeprenzag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #56
jgiuliani

Just a quick update. Spoke with the service manager today. He has three vehicles with the same symptoms, including mine. He has reported the information (vehicle VIN's, customer contact info, etc.) to the field engineer who is apparently headed to Orlando tomorrow to discuss with other Jeep/chrysler engineers. He tells me they are well aware of the problem, indicated it is a software issue (not mechanical) and they ae working on a fix. He has offered to replace the Michelins with a set of Goodrich's at cost with no installation charges but doesn't believe they will help at all with the issue I have and that the vehicle should be able to perform well in the sand even with the stock tires. I may take him up on the offer just to ditch the Michelins anyway. Will post again if I hear any more news.
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #57
rangersplash
2011 WK 

I agree that tires are not the root cause but they may be a good factor. The last time I was out on the beach I tried to pay attention to wheel slippage. I bounced between auto and sand mode as auto has full use of the esc. I noticed very little slippage and when they did slip they regained traction right away. I should note that I'm not running stockers.
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #58
kkreit01

Depending on "which Goodyears", this could be a downgrade.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #59
avalys
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just took my relatively new 2012 Overland Hemi (with ORA II / QD) down a long trail here in Colorado. I drove for several miles on loose dirt in 4H with Select-Terrain on "Sand/Mud", and then "Service 4WD" light came on. The 4WD system continued to operate normally, however, except for the light.

I turned the car off and back on, and the light was gone, so I kept going. A few miles later, same thing. Now I am starting to get worried, as the trail is essentially a 12-mile long descent, with no way out except back up the hill, and it was highly unlikely I'd make it out without 4WD. But everything was still operating fine, except for the light, and I was not in any mood to turn back around.

For some reason, it occurred to me that I had never driven this long a distance before in Sand/Mud mode, so I "rebooted" the car (again, clearing the light), and left it in Auto for the remainder of the descent (another 8 miles, maybe). No problems whatsoever.

On the way back up, I kept it in 4L and Sand/Mud mode the whole time, and again had no problems.

I suspect the vehicle does not like being left in 4H in Sand/Mud mode for a long period. Maybe too much heat generation in the transfer case with the variable torque split changing all the time. Running it in 4L locks the transfer case, which explains why it would tolerate that better.

I will ask the dealer tomorrow when I bring the car in (one of their wheel weights fell off on the trail, ) to check the codes and see if he can tell me what happened - but that's my theory.
avalys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #60
jgiuliani

Just a quick update on this one: I touched base with my service manager earlier in the week and he had no update for me other than to tell me they are still working on the issue. However, a member in another forum just posted that his dealer told him there is a fix for the issue that is currently being tested and that he should check back in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.