4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
TShooter1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani View Post
This was at Fort Fisher State Rec area. Luckily the Rangers have the towing service on speed dial and for $135 (all the cash I had in my wallet) it seemed like a pretty good deal to get my Jeep and family off the beach. The tow operator says he pulls out a good number of late model Cherokees. Mostly user error but also a good number of mechanical failures. It's going in to the dealer on Friday, I'll let you know what they have to say.
Yes -- Please do post results... My Wife was just asking if I got our Delaware Beach Tag. 2011 V6 QT2 is only 6months old. lol -- I told her I didn't know if I was ready to git'er all sand-ied up yet. truth is my XJ and WJ and the old CJ7 had solid axle and would go anywhere.... not so sure with sensors and solenoids - so I will be very intrested to here what "spin" the dealer has...

Here's hopin your jeep fears turn out to be just the boggeyman!

TShooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
jgiuliani

OK, here's the update:

Let must just preface this and say although I'm not pleased with the outcome or the explanation of the problem I did walk away satisfied with technician I spoke with and the service manager. Here is the official statement from the tech:

FOUND STORED CODES C006A-62 AND U0415-00 FOR DYANMICS SENSOR AND ABS MODULE. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND MONITORED DYNAMICS SENSOR FOR FAULTY SIGNAL. NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME. CODES MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY OFF-ROAD USE. DRIVE TRAIN CONTROL MODULE MAY DISABLE 4WD OPERATION TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO SYSTEM OR PREVENT ROLL-OVER.

Bottom line is that the system operated "as intended" by shutting down the 4WD sysetm before it damaged itself. The tech basically said there was too much wheel slippage and it shut down before something burned up. Maybe a more agressive tire (have the stock Latitudes) would help prevent slippage and system would stay engaged. Maybe not. Should have bought the Wrangler Unlimited if I wanted to play in the sand is what I was pretty much told. Good news is nothing broke, bad news is the vehicle is not capable of driving in deep sand. Now on to the service manager. He backs me up 100% and is opening a case with Chrysler for me. He agrees there is no way a JGC with an off-road package should not be able to handle a bit of sand, or at least stay engaged long enough for the operator to get himself out of whatever mess he gets into. He has seen a couple of people in with the same problem driving in sand and that Chrysler should know about and be working on a solution. His recommendation if it happens again is to disengage the transfer case by holding down the neutral button behind the selec-terrain nob. He says that will allow me to get back into 4WD. Also recommends starting out in 4WD Low from the start. The tech also recommended disconnecting the battery to clear the codes and then start over.

I dunno, we'll see. I'll probaby venture down again in a couple weeks when the water and fishing warms up a bit. If I'm going to get stuck on a beach I at least want to be able to put a line in the water and let the kids go for a swim. Oh, also met a fellow forum member in the waiting room trying to get his problems fixed so not a bad experience in all.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

Quote:
The plovers have everything to do with it. As do the dead horses and turtles that have been hit on the beach, and the fragile ecology of the dunes which you are forbidden to even walk on much less drive on. Hey I didn't say I agree with it and I wouldn't do it myself because I dont think its a very cool thing to do but you will have to explain to me how circular tire tracks on a beach do more damage than linear tire tracks on a beach. I am more concerned with the litter in the picture, that is more likely to draw the attention of a Ranger and conservationists. And by the way you should be thrilled we only have to pay $120/year for the privelege of driving on a prtected National Seashore. I would happily pay more to cover my share of conservation efforts for such a beautiful National treasure. Oh, and thank you for letting think what I want, i really appreciate you letting me have my own opinion.
Come to long island and pay the $180 we have to pay to drive on one beach -_-
adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolphhipster View Post
Come to long island and pay the $180 we have to pay to drive on one beach -_-
No thanks, I'll keep my money in my home state. Last time I was on the beach in Long Island it was to watch Aerosmith at Jones Beach
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
JABEACHFANZ
2012 WK 

Well, I maybe headed out to Fort Fisher next weekend. 1 hint of advice is when driving on deep sand I always use 4-lo if I have the option. Keeps things alot slower and cooler.
JABEACHFANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
Jdsmitty10

Quote:
OK, here's the update:

Let must just preface this and say although I'm not pleased with the outcome or the explanation of the problem I did walk away satisfied with technician I spoke with and the service manager. Here is the official statement from the tech:

FOUND STORED CODES C006A-62 AND U0415-00 FOR DYANMICS SENSOR AND ABS MODULE. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND MONITORED DYNAMICS SENSOR FOR FAULTY SIGNAL. NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME. CODES MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY OFF-ROAD USE. DRIVE TRAIN CONTROL MODULE MAY DISABLE 4WD OPERATION TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO SYSTEM OR PREVENT ROLL-OVER.

Bottom line is that the system operated "as intended" by shutting down the 4WD sysetm before it damaged itself. The tech basically said there was too much wheel slippage and it shut down before something burned up. Maybe a more agressive tire (have the stock Latitudes) would help prevent slippage and system would stay engaged. Maybe not. Should have bought the Wrangler Unlimited if I wanted to play in the sand is what I was pretty much told. Good news is nothing broke, bad news is the vehicle is not capable of driving in deep sand. Now on to the service manager. He backs me up 100% and is opening a case with Chrysler for me. He agrees there is no way a JGC with an off-road package should not be able to handle a bit of sand, or at least stay engaged long enough for the operator to get himself out of whatever mess he gets into. He has seen a couple of people in with the same problem driving in sand and that Chrysler should know about and be working on a solution. His recommendation if it happens again is to disengage the transfer case by holding down the neutral button behind the selec-terrain nob. He says that will allow me to get back into 4WD. Also recommends starting out in 4WD Low from the start. The tech also recommended disconnecting the battery to clear the codes and then start over.

I dunno, we'll see. I'll probaby venture down again in a couple weeks when the water and fishing warms up a bit. If I'm going to get stuck on a beach I at least want to be able to put a line in the water and let the kids go for a swim. Oh, also met a fellow forum member in the waiting room trying to get his problems fixed so not a bad experience in all.
Thats ridiculous... so i have to worry that my 4wd is gonna go out when i need it most?????????????????????????????? i dont really plan on beach driving..but what about in the winter if i have slippage?? im gonna lose 4x4 cause of slippage? makes no sense to me..
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEACHFANZ View Post
Well, I maybe headed out to Fort Fisher next weekend. 1 hint of advice is when driving on deep sand I always use 4-lo if I have the option. Keeps things alot slower and cooler.
I would have switched to 4-lo if I felt the 4-high couldn't handle it, but it was doing great until it decided to quit. it's not like I was flinging sand or struggling to move, was just cruising along about 12-15 mph in a set of tracks when it crapped out for no real reason, then it was too late to get to 4-lo. Next time I will start and keep it in 4-lo the entire time, but not until after I hear your experience Let me know how you do. I have the number of a good tow operator in case you need one. he's got lots of great stories about all the vehicles he's pulled off the beach over the years.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
Big50
2012 WK 

I'll tell you this, if it happens to me I'm probably going to dump the vehicle. I think it's pretty lame all the grandma technology they build into these vehicles and don't allow you to turn it off. Once it's engaged it shouldn't disengage. And you shouldn't need/have to be in 4low your rpms will be screaming. I go to Pismo Beach out here in CA about 2-3 times a year with a large group of family and friends so if this thing doesn't perform I'll be looking to get back into an F150.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
TShooter1
2011 WK 

Quote:
I would have switched to 4-lo if I felt the 4-high couldn't handle it, but it was doing great until it decided to quit. it's not like I was flinging sand or struggling to move, was just cruising along about 12-15 mph in a set of tracks when it crapped out for no real reason, then it was too late to get to 4-lo. Next time I will start and keep it in 4-lo the entire time, but not until after I hear your experience Let me know how you do. I have the number of a good tow operator in case you need one. he's got lots of great stories about all the vehicles he's pulled off the beach over the years.
Thanks for the infromation... does that mean the vehicle cant run in the sand in Low or does it mean get across the loose stuff to just above the high water line?
Thinkin Jeep is gonna say dont use 4H for more than 1/2 -1/4 mile coz of the constant slippage or turn off the traction control... still I agree w/ Svc Mgr "lengendary jeep 4x4" and 40k should be able to do what you were doing all day long!
TShooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #40
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I drove a couple miles on a beach about 3 weeks ago. Similar driving habits I am gathering. It was actually drizzling, too. Going 10-15mpg in sand mode 4Hi and at some points I had it in auto 4Hi to test it. Drove in drier sand and in the surf. No issues at all. Performed as it should have I expect.

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #41
lharrell79

The dealers explanation is bull****, and the technician is just guessing. In no way should the 4WD system shut down because the tires are slipping. The tires slip variably in all 4WD conditions. Snow/ice: tires slip. Sand: tires slip. Mud: tires slip.

Furthermore, there are plenty of members here who drive in sand with no problems. Siltsurfer spends an entire day at a time ragging his jeep in the dunes.

I think they don't have an explanation for the error, so the technician is just taking a guess.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #42
mderick
1946 CJ2A 

Yes this is concerning.
I live in the mountains, and have to use 4WD just to get home all the time.
If I start to spin a bit, and the 4WD disengages I could end up in the bank or worse
over a cliff.
I would like also to know the truth about this issue.
mderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #43
rangersplash
2011 WK 

I want to say that it's a good thing that nothing is broken but now I'm always going to have this feeling that my Jeep will break down when I need it most. Fortunately mine is still going strong as I am currently sitting on the beach at Ft Fisher and even helped dislodge a Santa Fe that was sunk down to the chassis. I have been using 4-lo all day just to be safe.
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I agree with harrell79. Sounds like a fluke.

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
WvTaco
2011 WK 

that is a joke. but i kinda understand. my lexus i had would throw an abs code if u spun the front tires to much. did that twice. once in snow, once to destory a tire i was replacing.

i wonder if the qt1 can disconnect. i drove for about a 1/2 mile i would guess on soft sand and never had a problem.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.