4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD malfunction on the beach (SERV 4WD)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
MaineJeep11
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: , Maine
Posts: 278
The original post in this thread makes me feel like I'm back on one of the Land Rover forums I belong to!!! The more electronics they put in vehicles the more little things there are to go wrong. Hopefully this was just a small sensor/solenoid issue and you'll have it fixed soon. Keep us posted. Don't blame you for being pissed, the picture of the tow truck with the brand new Jeep behind it is pretty damn frustrating.

MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
rangersplash
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: the Sandhills, NC
Posts: 39
At the OP, I was in the office paying for my permit when I overheard the call of a disabled vehicle with the "serv 4wd" light on. I'm fairly certain I passed by you on my way out and was almost about to stop although I don't know how much help I could have been. I'm fairly confident that I could get someone unstuck but doubt I could tow for any amount of distance in that sand. Then there would have been two disabled Jeeps. I hope your able to get to the bottom of what went wrong.
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
MrSpeed
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
The only time mine came on was when an offroad shop (see signature) broke a rear ABS sensor and the traction control lights, ABS and serv 4x4 lights all on. It was replaced and that fixed it. Some more details here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...o-4x4-1332758/
Not to steal the thread, but the shop in Magnolia that you are displeased with, is it run by a guy named Jules who talks like Frank Zappa, Jackal?
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
txwest
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRisko

...and this is why our beaches get closed to motor vehicles.
Here in the great state of Texas we have the longest stretch of public beaches open to motor vehicles and protected from developers who want to close them. I share in the fun on my beaches as well as help to keep than clean and enjoyable for the next generation. A little fun now and then does not destroy the beach, I'm sorry to inform you.
__________________
Current:
'12 GC Overland 4x4 HEMI ORII QL Towing Red/Saddle

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
jgiuliani
Registered User
2012  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersplash View Post
At the OP, I was in the office paying for my permit when I overheard the call of a disabled vehicle with the "serv 4wd" light on. I'm fairly certain I passed by you on my way out and was almost about to stop although I don't know how much help I could have been. I'm fairly confident that I could get someone unstuck but doubt I could tow for any amount of distance in that sand. Then there would have been two disabled Jeeps. I hope your able to get to the bottom of what went wrong.
That's too funny. It probably was me, my wife was the one calliing in because i was so pi$$ed I couldn't talk to anyone. I saw a black WK2 drive by as we were waiting, probably yours. That was a long ride back behind "The Beast" and he had to pull pretty hard, I don't think anything less would have been able to get it all the way back. Thanks for thinking of me though!
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
jgiuliani
Registered User
2012  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 108
To be honest I don't think a couple of donuts on the beach is harming anything either. The reason we get banned is because of the ignorant a-holes driving on the dunes, running over turtles, hitting wild horses, and disrupting the nesting birds.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeed View Post
Not to steal the thread, but the shop in Magnolia that you are displeased with, is it run by a guy named Jules who talks like Frank Zappa, Jackal?
No. I will PM you.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
txwest
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani
To be honest I don't think a couple of donuts on the beach is harming anything either. The reason we get banned is because of the ignorant a-holes driving on the dunes, running over turtles, hitting wild horses, and disrupting the nesting birds.
Agreed. 100% Especially since we have endangered Kemps Ridley turtles nesting down here.
__________________
Current:
'12 GC Overland 4x4 HEMI ORII QL Towing Red/Saddle

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
Big50
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vallejo, California
Posts: 235
This is pretty disappointing to hear. I quite frankly wish they just had 4wd hi and low. I don't need the marketing gimmick of the select trac. I don't like having to put it back in 4wd each time I start the Jeep. I want it to stay in the damn setting I last left it in.

I believe this same warning actually flashed while wheeling last week but quickly went away and was fine.

Also, when you head out next time drop your rear tires to 15 psi and 17 for the fronts. It will make a world of difference for traction. And I think it's lame no one helped tow you out.
__________________
2012 Laredo X 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, luxury package. Mods: 2.5" RR lift, ProComp 7036 wheels, 275/65-18 Wrangler Duratracs. Pics in my gallery
Mild wheeling in my WK2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AueMXQvqCBE&list=UUzGUjoJwwUpCb5Ea05FVtPw&index=2&feature=plcp
Big50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
UNCjeepWK2
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 293
Interesting... we have identical Jeeps (Laredo X... mine w/ Hemi, 4x4). Got scared it was me for a second! I had mine out on Ocracoke beaches over New Years... and had no issues on the sand... but soon after getting off the sand back onto the road, the ESC warning light came on for a few minutes, but went off once it regained traction I guess.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
rangersplash
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: the Sandhills, NC
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2
Interesting... we have identical Jeeps (Laredo X... mine w/ Hemi, 4x4). Got scared it was me for a second! I had mine out on Ocracoke beaches over New Years... and had no issues on the sand... but soon after getting off the sand back onto the road, the ESC warning light came on for a few minutes, but went off once it regained traction I guess.
I noticed the same thing. We had no issue going out and finding a parking spot. On the way back the esc light stayed on the entire time until I was able to reair the tires up. I didn't notice any loss of power or traction for what its worth.
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
BMRisko
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani View Post
To be honest I don't think a couple of donuts on the beach is harming anything either. The reason we get banned is because of the ignorant a-holes driving on the dunes, running over turtles, hitting wild horses, and disrupting the nesting birds.
Keep thinking what you want, but it only gives fuel to those who want to close access. Wonder why we have to pay such a ridiculous fee to drive on the OBX now? Yea, the plovers have something to do with it and people doing donuts and driving on the dunes doesn't help. That would have been a hefty fine in NC...
BMRisko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
jgiuliani
Registered User
2012  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRisko View Post
Keep thinking what you want, but it only gives fuel to those who want to close access. Wonder why we have to pay such a ridiculous fee to drive on the OBX now? Yea, the plovers have something to do with it and people doing donuts and driving on the dunes doesn't help. That would have been a hefty fine in NC...
The plovers have everything to do with it. As do the dead horses and turtles that have been hit on the beach, and the fragile ecology of the dunes which you are forbidden to even walk on much less drive on. Hey I didn't say I agree with it and I wouldn't do it myself because I dont think its a very cool thing to do but you will have to explain to me how circular tire tracks on a beach do more damage than linear tire tracks on a beach. I am more concerned with the litter in the picture, that is more likely to draw the attention of a Ranger and conservationists. And by the way you should be thrilled we only have to pay $120/year for the privelege of driving on a prtected National Seashore. I would happily pay more to cover my share of conservation efforts for such a beautiful National treasure. Oh, and thank you for letting think what I want, i really appreciate you letting me have my own opinion.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #29
UNCjeepWK2
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersplash View Post
I noticed the same thing. We had no issue going out and finding a parking spot. On the way back the esc light stayed on the entire time until I was able to reair the tires up. I didn't notice any loss of power or traction for what its worth.
actually, I never lowered tire pressure. Never have on sand. I've never really found the need to... and it would be so annoying to have to do that every time.

Also, to the OP, ours are identical even down to the Thule bars up top. Nice ride... sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everything resolved nicely.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #30
txwest
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiuliani

The plovers have everything to do with it. As do the dead horses and turtles that have been hit on the beach, and the fragile ecology of the dunes which you are forbidden to even walk on much less drive on. Hey I didn't say I agree with it and I wouldn't do it myself because I dont think its a very cool thing to do but you will have to explain to me how circular tire tracks on a beach do more damage than linear tire tracks on a beach. I am more concerned with the litter in the picture, that is more likely to draw the attention of a Ranger and conservationists. And by the way you should be thrilled we only have to pay $120/year for the privelege of driving on a prtected National Seashore. I would happily pay more to cover my share of conservation efforts for such a beautiful National treasure. Oh, and thank you for letting think what I want, i really appreciate you letting me have my own opinion.
I completely agree with your reasons. Some of our beaches have the worst buildup of trash in the nation, and it all comes from the gulf. All the plastic jugs, bottles, buckets, etc etc etc that floats around in the gulf of Mexico, end up on our beaches in south central Texas. I have spent the first two weekends in March for the past 12 years helping clean the national seashore one mile stretch at a time. It is very frustrating to see it stack up over and over again. It only gets worse when a tropical storm or hurricane blows in somewhere. The we have houses, and pieces of piers and decks the size of 18-wheelers. Every year I purchase a beach parking permit for both the public beach, and the national seashore. I know where my dollars go for those, and I wish I could do more financially to help.
__________________
Current:
'12 GC Overland 4x4 HEMI ORII QL Towing Red/Saddle

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.