4WD - Explaining the 3 Systems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD - Explaining the 3 Systems

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, you may be able to build it on the current consumer web page, but the dealer wont. Not saying they won't make a running change... the current V6 axle ratio is the same as the old V8 ratio, so in theory it should be easy to do, if they have built enough ELSD rears. But you know the old saying, that V6 doesn't have enough power to spin the wheels anyway. ELSD is standard on STR8s.

The real world experience reported here is that you usually have no wheel spin with QD as it doesn't need wheel spin to work. Most useful on snow, ice, slippery mud, gravel. Whether its worth it to you is subjective, as a decent driver and tires can get a QTII vehicle through just about everything with just a little more excitement. The QD complaints reported seem to be that its just not much fun as its pretty difficult doing donuts in a snowy parking lot unless you turn it off and pull the traction control fuse.

QD has certainly been worth it to me, however. And after initially being put off by having to buy QL to get QD, I'm glad I have it as it is very useful for heavy hauling and towing.... changing the oil, getting the 90 year old parents into the back seat, and lowering for highway performance. I would include economy but WK2 and economy is an oxymoron.

The sure way to tell if the WK2 has QD is to start it up, the EVIC will display "Quadra Drive" for a few seconds if its so equipped. QDs and QTIIs will have the select terrain knob. QTI will not.

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #32
illflo
2012 WK 

I can certainly appreciate the convenience, particularly given the examples you listed. I'll be going from a V8 full size pick-up with a leveling kit and 33's so (fuel) economy and ease of entry and exit will improve even with the lift. Having driven both a V8 with QD and a V6 with QTI, I was largely off-put by the price increase with QL since finding one on the used market essentially requires getting an Overland and V8. I'm less worried about hauling and towing, I have a 1 ton work truck and dump trailer if I need that resource and don't own any Boats, RVs, etc. The heaviest thing my WK2 will ever pull will be a single axle trailer full of firewood or a bass boat. My Dad just got a '12 V6 QTI Laredo and I drove it for about a week over the holiday and sort of fell in love with WK2s. I felt like the V6 had enough pep for my driving style, but I did want at minimum QTII just to have the capability to drive on the beach and down muddy roads, through fields etc. with confidence (not to say QTI can't handle these conditions, but I'd rather have QTII and not need it than need it and not have it). Have you ever felt like you have encountered something that QD can't handle? Most of my 'off roading' will consist of crossing muddy fields, getting down logging roads, driving on the beach, etc. I'm a pretty avid bird hunter and outdoorsman so I want to be able to get to hard-to-reach areas off the beaten path with confidence, but don't plan on doing any rock crawling or mud bogging.
illflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #33
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I have a couple family members that need to get to work regardless of road conditions, sitting out is not always an option. We also have a long driveway with a few steep spots that brings typical 4x4s and AWD vehicles to their knees. So ice and snow performance is what I need. I never ran into a situation that the QD (with Blizzacks) had any issue, or even broke a sweat. I haven't played in the mud but have driven on grassy wet fairly steep lawn slopes with the OEM goodyears without tearing a blade of grass.
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
illflo
2012 WK 

Good to know; Put a deposit down today on a '12 Laredo X with the "All Weather Package" that includes QTII and tow hooks. Guess I'll find out pretty soon whether or not I needed QD!
illflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
The QD II package also comes with skid plates for the transfer case, fuel tank, suspension skids, and front axle. This system also comes with hill decent control which automatically applies the brakes for a slow controlled decent down steep terrain.
Up until that comment, I thought I had QDII. I have a V8 Overland, tow package, no skid plates, self installed tow hooks, early 2011 Overland build that has no QL, but seems to have every other option.
Is it possible to have the rear locking diff as part of the tow package, not part of the ORA packages?
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #36
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

QD did not become part of the ORA II package until the 2012 model year. It is not the QD option that gives you skid plates, its the ORA package. QD was never a part of a tow package.

Early 2011 you could order QD with just about any V8 model. There were no restrictions. If your EVIC displays "Quadra Drive" when you first turn it on, then you have it. Otherwise not. I don't know if overland V8s came standard with QD early 2011, but all Overland V8s built Jan 2011 and after had QD and QL. Although QD was listed as an available option for other models, Jeep restricted it to Overlands only.

For 2014 and 2013, QD was standard only in the Overland Summit. QD was part of ORA II package for the other V8 models. ORA II also had QL. So, except for early 2011, all QDs were on vehicles that also had QL and the V8.
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh cool, thanks. I'll just check at startup on my way home tonight.

edit- sweet. thought I had the locking diff, that confirms it.
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #38
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

is QDII getting dropped from ORA2 for '14??

As above, if you get a '14 V6 Limited with ORA2 it looks like you get QTII NOT QDII even though it comes with QL. I have been checking window stickers and was willing to put up with potential air suspension HAs to get QDII but it appears that it is now not part of ORA2 package for all V6, correct?

I'm also looking at a V6 trailhawk '13 and that does not have QDII?

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabili...djfDB8Z2N8bGlt
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #39
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
It appears if you get a '14 V6 Limited with ORA2 you get QTII NOT QDII. I have been checking window stickers and was willoing to put up with potential air suspension HAs to get QDII but it appears that it is now not part of ORA2 package for some models????

Whereas I'm also looking at a V6 trailhawk '13 and that does have QDII.

help plz

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabili...djfDB8Z2N8bGlt
You must get the V8 or Diesel to get QD2, if you get either of those engines you will get QD2 with that package. A trailhawk will not have it with the v6 either.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
You must get the V8 or Diesel to get QD2, if you get either of those engines you will get QD2 with that package. A trailhawk will not have it with the v6 either.
Yeah this year's jeep build site has been misleading a lot of folks here. For 2014 currently QD is only available on a V8/CRD Summit or a V8/CRD with the ORA2 package. Not saying that jeep won't change their mind, but they haven't offered QD on a gas 6 for years . The gas V6 doesn't have enough power to spin the wheels
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The gas V6 doesn't have enough power to spin the wheels
yeah, yeah...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the current V6 make more power than the 4.7L V8 I had in my 99 GC that had the original QD with the two variable locking diffs and the variable transfer case?
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
WK2FAN
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M

yeah, yeah...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the current V6 make more power than the 4.7L V8 I had in my 99 GC that had the original QD with the two variable locking diffs and the variable transfer case?
Maybe more horsepower but not more torque. The Powertech 4.7 produces 295 ft lbs which is 35 more than the Pentastar V6. My 99 GC also was also over 1000 lbs lighter than the current model so it would out accelerate the V6 hands down and maybe even my current Hemi up to 60 mph.
WK2FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
Kev M
2012 WK 

The 99 handled better too, but that wasn't the point.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #44
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

QTII does not transmit 100% power to the tire with most traction, it will transmit 100% power to the axle with most traction, then BTC takes over, which is about 50% efficient in getting power to the tire with traction... which is much better than nothing. As far as improvement over QTI, tires will make more of a difference. QTII will be better than QTI in situations where low range is useful, and there can be many of them. If you run the numbers, assuming only one tire has traction, QTI will get 25% of engine power to it, QTII 50%. How that transfers to the street depends, but its a useful number for rock climbing.

The comparison words is referring to previous generation WKs. But they just say the transfer case is proven in that is has survived their testing and is efficient, but does not say efficient compared to what. I would expect little difference between QTIs over the years, but the newer ones are lighter and run lower weight oil... so maybe you'll get a 0.1 mpg improvement As far as QTI compared to QTII, there is a weight increase and some clutch drag... but you are talking tenths of a mpg not one or two.

GM uses the same case in many of its light trucks.

The WK2jeeps site is very good in general but pretty much quotes the Jeep 4x4 corporate stuff.. which can be misleading and lacks the detail you need for a thorough understanding.
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #45
billybob123
2011 WK 

Ok thanks Coldcase.

I may have to look for QTII for the low range like I have in mine.
There has been a number of times before the streets were plowed that I was getting stuck but dropped it in low and it helped considerably. It may be difficult as I want X package, blk on blk, moonroof, flawless paint too. And now, QTII

On the wk2jeeps site it says for x package: optional add-on
Off-Road Adventure II Group ($2125.00) Are they referring to the QTII ?

I would assume most buyers did not pay the extra $$ and just have the QTI
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.