4WD - Explaining the 3 Systems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4WD - Explaining the 3 Systems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have a '12 Laredo V6 with ORA1 (skid plates and QT2). It was either QT1 or QT2. However, ORA1 only has QT2 not QT1.

On a '13 Limited (for example).
ORA2
Full-Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel
P265/60R18 OWL All Season On/Off Road Tires
Quadra-Lift™ Air Suspension
Skid Plate Group
"Trail Rated" Badge
Quadra-Drive II® 4WD System

ORA1
Tow Hooks
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
The fuel tank skid plate shield helps protect your fuel tank from rocks and on-road debris.
Full-Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel
P265/60R18 OWL All Season On/Off Road Tires
Skid Plate Group
"Trail Rated" Badge
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Underbody Skid Plate
Tow Hooks (Unavailable with some configurations)
Tow Hooks (Unavailable with some configurations)

QT2 is standard on the 4x4 Limited unless you get the ORA2 package then you are upgraded to QD2 (with QL)

You can get QD2 in the V6.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Now you're getting it.

When I start mine it says "Jeep" then "Auto"(since I have QT2). Thank you for the kind words. I love Alice!!

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
illflo
2012 WK 

Thanks again for the help. Hey, I can appreciate a fine piece of art that you have obviously invested a lot of time in. I passed on one that was almost identical (Forest Green '11 V6 ORAI) about a week ago but spent a lot of time looking at your build thread before I did. Mileage was too high for the price (42K miles, $33K). I really like the color though. Have you been (more or less) happy with QT-II? Had any experiences where you thought having QD-II might have gotten you out of a bind, or is QT-II largely adequate? Thanks!
illflo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Dang, that is waaaaay too much. I didn't pay over $32K out the door and mine was factory ordered. Anything special or different? V8? Just too high if it was pretty similar to mine.

I wish I had ELSD on QT2 but from what offroading I have done I have been pretty much happy. Again, ELSD would be nice but not at the expense of getting QL. I like having a static lift. Constantly going up and down with larger tires would be just one more thing to think about.

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
illflo
2012 WK 

Yeah, it was listed at 27K but they wanted my trade (appraised at 27K) and 6K cash, so I walked. It had all the bells and whistles, but it had a grey leather interior I wasn't crazy about. Not sure what yours has on the interior, just didn't see any interior pix on your build thread when I looked. I'm looking at a Silver '12 V6 Laredo X w/ 12K miles, the all-weather package (QT-II and tow hooks, I think) and Quick Order 26-E Package which is (again, I think Nav, heated leather, the 110 outlet in the back seat and a sunroof. A VW dealer has it and just wants to unload it so I'm looking at my 29 total cost, which is pretty fair I think. Like I said I have been watching WK2s on Autotrader, CarMax etc. since Christmas almost and I think it's a fair price. I'm with you on static lift, anything with that much movement seems like it would wear out pretty fast and be pretty expensive to fix. Thanks again for the help. Have you noticed the skid plates being necessary when equipped with the lift? (I don't know if there is a good way to test this, so if not no worries). Just seems like the lift would keep you up out of most rocks, etc., or at least those obstacles you would attempt in a WK2.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
illflo
2012 WK 

Unintentional Smiley. Should have been ": )"
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have black cloth and that is why I had to factory order. Nobody in southern Texas had a Green Laredo with black interior. Skid plates...defitenly used and wouldn't go offroad without. I was leaning towards the all weather group since it had the QT2 but I wanted the skid plates more than the remote start and outlet. There are lots of guys here with QL and have no complaints but with QL some larger tires will not fit that will fit on non-QL because of the park height. Check out TrueCar.com for prices, too.

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
illflo
2012 WK 

Yeah it's definitely a pretty color, and the black on your rig really sets it off based on your pictures. I don't imagine there's a lot of remote-start type weather in TX anyways. Though I guess you could use it in summer heat. I've read a lot of that back and forth about the QL on here and I know I would spend enough time in the ORA2 setting based on the way I use my current vehicle that I might as well make it permanent and avoid any issues. And the electronic air suspension strikes me as just one more electronic thing to cause problems, but I'm sure there are lots of happy owners.

On the Skid Plates: good to know. Will have to consider aftermarket if I end up with a non-ORAI. RR makes a pretty decent, heavy looking set that they claim are easy to install. That'll give me something new to try and find a write-up for on here too.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yea I would actually use remote start in the summer but when we do get cold (30-40 deg) I would use it. Keep us posted on what you'll do. Start a build thread if you add some toys!

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
illflo
2012 WK 

Will do for sure. First things first, have to find one to start with! Thanks again for all the help.
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Just a note of clarification (if QD is important to you). You could never get a QD on a V6. It was and is only available with the V8, perhaps the CRD. The QD and QL association changed over the years, however. You could get QD without QL, but you probably need to be looking at early 2011s. QD was restricted to overlands later in 2011 model year (by that time all overlands had QL) and the options changed a bit in 2012, and then again in 2014. Basically all ORAIIS with V8s or diesels have QD. It has become a stand alone option on V8 Overlands, seems still to be standard on Summits and SRT8s.

From Jeep's features and availability descriptions:

"Off Road Adventure II — Includes Quadra-Drive 4WD system (V-8 only), two-speed on-demand transfer case, Selec-Terrain, Quadra-Lift air suspension system, Trail Rated badge, full-size spare tire, steel spare wheel, P265/60R18 OWL on/off-road tires, Skid Plate Group"

QL is great if you don't want to compromise highway handling or off road clearance (it adjusts). If you don't mind the highway compromise a lifted vehicle and larger tires performs well off road. QL may not be for you. It is nice to have some choices, however, as we do drive in a lot of different conditions.
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

In the Build and Price for the Limiteds there is the option for QD2 with the V6. I attempted to find where it restricts QD2 to V8 but havent found it elsewhere. Maybe their BP feature is not setup correctly

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #28
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
In the Build and Price for the Limiteds there is the option for QD2 with the V6. I attempted to find where it restricts QD2 to V8 but havent found it elsewhere. Maybe their BP feature is not setup correctly
It is part of the ora 2 package but if you have the v6 it adds the package at one price and if you have the CRD or the hemi it has a much higher price. I believe it goes from about $1700 to $2500 but I haven't priced a limited in a while.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Jeep has always made QD difficult to explain and configure.

Their BP being inaccurate in many details (omitting info) does not help. The BP often doesn't line up exactly with what the Jeep dealer system indicates. You can never be completely sure what is in each package and available until a dealer tries to configure it.

The feature data on wk2jeeps.com and some of the online sites like Edmunds and KBB seems to be pretty accurate, however.

The text quoted in my previous post is from Jeep's official and more detailed descriptive material. The description seems to be the same for all model years, including 2014.
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
illflo
2012 WK 

ColdCase: Thanks for the clarification. I think the change over time was what caused my confusion. I can verify Jackal's assessment that you can build a V6 with QD, it seems that my mistake was assuming that simply because it was possible in this model year that it was that way in the past. For me, the air suspension is too high a price to pay for what would represent a marginal improvement in capability (based on my use) that QD would give me. I have spent some time watching videos of QD and QTII equipped WK2s and they seem to perform comparably, though probably only experience would really allow one to distinguish between the two. My concern was discerning how vehicles with select-terrain were equipped because that is the easiest thing to check with dealers for on used vehicles that don't have the original window sticker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.