4Lo stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 4Lo stopped working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
cloner63

4Lo stopped working

Was an idiot and became stuck in a a ditch during the snowstorm. Complete stupidity on my part. I was pulled out after by a pickup, but it took a fair amount of effort. At first my 4wd Low was fine, but during the course of pulling me out my front wheels stopped churning. No error messages, but it did lurch a bit at a couple of points. I took it out of 4Lo and put it back in, but it did not help. Always indicated 4Lo. It feels like I only have RWD. I have quadradrive on my 2012 Overland. Did it just overheat, will it reset, or is it likely cooked?

cloner63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Hard to tell, 4lo is direct coupling I think. Could be broken front axle, front diff, front driveshaft, transfer case chain. I've heard of some that have destroyed a front axle half shaft. But you are going to have to do some troubleshooting. Get under and take a look. If nothing obvious, jack one front wheel off the ground and try to spin it, if you don't notice anything unusual, put it into 4low and try to spin it. You shouldn't be able to turn it.
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
modernblueWK

If you break a front axle, driveshaft the jeep will not move forward unless its in 4lo. If your transfer case is damaged then there should be lights telling you so. I wonder if the brakes overheated from spinning wheels trying to get out?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
cloner63

Thanks for the comments, guys. I drove it about 6 miles after getting out (in snow mode) and no warning lights. I hear no unusual sounds. I just know that only the rear wheels were spinning at the end of the ordeal. I did spin those wheels a lot. I will have to wait until after work to troubleshoot. Like I said - nothing "seems" wrong except I lost the front wheel spin towards the end of the extraction. I was embarrassed all the way around.
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
If you break a front axle, driveshaft the jeep will not move forward unless its in 4lo. If your transfer case is damaged then there should be lights telling you so. I wonder if the brakes overheated from spinning wheels trying to get out?
Right, I keep forgetting that its only wheel spin that will lock the transfer case... and with a busted axle there will be no wheel spin.
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
cloner63

Update. The dealer says the transfer case clutches were worn, and the electronics to shut down the 4wd. This was covered under warranty (the good news). They are replacing the whole transfer case. The bad news is it is on back order and may be 2-3 weeks. In the meantime they cleared the codes and it " may" work. I am driving it until the part arrives. This is the first time I got stuck, and it concerns me that the 4wd failed.
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't worry about it too much now- you're getting a whole new transfer case! I hope everything works out well for you! Hopefully the weather will be calm while you wait.
1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
cloner63

Thanks! That is the bright side. And I will be much more careful about how I treat her. I really was an idiot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.