430N Navigation Help please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 430N Navigation Help please!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Question 430N Navigation Help please!

Ok, so I recently upgraded my RES radio to a RHB w/nav. Everything works great, but my question is this... I was using a Garmin Nuvi 255 as a GPS before I did the RHB upgrade. Is there a way to transfer my FAVORITES (all my saved addresses) to my RHB 430N? I have seen multiple threads on uploading POI's, but they are different than favorites. POI's are alerts when you are coming up to something... I just want to move my favorites without having to type them all in, espically since some of them are just saved places which would require me to hand input the lat/long for like 20 different places... I'm pretty sure I need to do something with the .gpx file, but I have no idea how to get that to integrate into my RHB...

So, to recap; need to transfer my FAVORITES from Nuvi 255 to RHB 430N.

Thanks in advance!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
ColdCase
Scapegoat

2011 WK 

The following is what someone got from GARMIN customer support, which I think you may already know. The trick is to drop your favorites GPX file into the POI folder on your computer and run the Garmin POILoader app on it to create a new GPI file, and then load the new GPI file into the 430N. The Favs you imported usually end up in the 430N extras folder. Now you have to click on each of the the POIs you loaded and select save and the 430N saves the POI into your favorites. It does save typing the information for each individually. Some then reload their original GPI POI files which erases the Favs folder on the 430N. You may have to do some clean up. I'm stuck with a 730N, so I personally have not tried it.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can definitely help you with your question about the Jeep unit. Please use a USB stick and following these directions:

Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 – Using POI Loader from Garmin (www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 – Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 – You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 – Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 – Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 – Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 – To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The following is what someone got from GARMIN customer support, which I think you may already know.
Thanks for the reply, but I have also found this and tried it. It loaded my Favorites as POI's, but there are a few reasons I don't like this. 1. They are really difficult to get to. I have to go through like 3-4 steps just to look at them. 2. They all don't show at once, have to type in the name to get some of them to show up. 3. Since they are POI's, if I'm near one there is a proximity alert letting me know... Kinda annoying.

If I can just get my favorites copied in to the RHB then all I have to do is open the favorites icon which is on the main selection screen and there they all are. I guess its just a convenience thing... I'm sure in the time it took me to write all these posts and search the internet I could have just manually inputted them all.. lol
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
ColdCase
Scapegoat

2011 WK 

When you find and display a POI on the 430N, have you tried saving it? The POI is now suppose to be saved under the favorites icon as a favorite. You have to do this for each POI you want to be a favorite. So now you have a POI and a favorite for each location, somewhat annoying I guess, but, after you are done saving favorites, overwrite the 430N POI folder with an empty one and that will clear those pesky POI notifications.... and you should have a single list when you select the favorites ICON. You may have to do some cleanup.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
When you find and display a POI, have you tried saving it? The POI is now suppose to be saved under the favorites icon. You have to do this for each POI you want to be a favorite. After your done, overwrite the 430N POI folder with an empty one and that will clear those pesky notifications.... and you should have a list when you select the favorites ICON.
I had not tried that... I'll give it a shot... Thanks!
Unread 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Thumbs up

It worked! Thanks for the help! It still took a while, I have like 50 favorites, and accidentally saved some of them twice because I forgot which I had just saved lol, but it was definitely faster than putting them all in manually!

Thanks again!!

Tags
430n , favorites , garmin , poi , rhb

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.