3 weeks okay on battery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 3 weeks okay on battery?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

3 weeks okay on battery?

I am going to be traveling for 3 weeks. Jeep stays home. Am I in trickle charger territory yet?

Unread 06-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
wyat72
2011 WK 

I wouldn't
Unread 06-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
heymatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not long enough to worry about.
heymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
diver110
2009 WK 

Thanks. That was my guess. How long before one crosses the line?
Unread 06-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
Thanks. That was my guess. How long before one crosses the line?
That answer varies with the particular vehicle in question, the age of the battery and any parasitic loads on the system, but generally speaking I don't even use a trickle charger on any of the motorcycles except in the middle of winter I might connect one for a day to each of them if they've day for at least a month already.

And I just got eight years out of the battery in the Harley, and have had similar longevity out of other batteries in the bike fleet.
Kev M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
peckmv

Batteries are happiest with a full charge. If you are doing a long term storage then a trickle charger is in order. Three weeks is not long term. If you are not going to use the vehicle for more than a month then a trickle charger would not hurt. Make sure it has a self regulating feature so you don't overcharge. The worst thing you can do to a battery is to let it sit for several months then charge it and then let it sit for several more months. HTH

http://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/b...ance-charging/
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

A good trickle charger like the Battery Tender is nice to have. Many Corvette owners use them and still have their original batteries after 7 years (although I'm not sure I would trust one that old away from home.) They definitely help prolong battery life.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Most owners manual says:

"If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than 21 days you may want to take steps to protect your battery. You may:
• Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
• Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (i.e. vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the system is started again."

This is a different type of battery than used years ago, it can be damaged by some trickle chargers. It has low inherent discharge rate, but the Jeep is alway drawing some current, hence the suggestion to disconnect the battery. There may a service/storage/ship mode somewhere in the settings that does the same thing.

When left unattended for more than a week, sometimes the parking brakeshoe will fuse itself to the hub. You may want to park without the parking brake set or be prepared to rock the Jeep back and forth to break it loose..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.