3.6 pentastar flexfuel reliability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.6 pentastar flexfuel reliability

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
preniantia
2005 KJ Liberty 

Question 3.6 pentastar flexfuel reliability

Jeep in Europe is now announcing the Grand Cherokee 3.6l v6 pentastar as flexfuel.
But it seems Jeep US don't speak about "flexfuel" therefore is there any reliability issue with "flexfuel" E85?

preniantia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
padgett
2012 WK 

Mine has a yellow filler cap that says "E85" and the DOE rates both ways.

Is really a matter of using alcohol resistant lines, having an alcohol level detector, and revising the injector and advance maps appropriately. Cars have been running on alky for decades just is not common here (except at Indy).

I like having the option, just wonder how it would do on 200 proof. Understand the fed requires denaturing with gasoline. Not quite as good as being a diesel but close.

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Iamnid
2011 WK 

though mine only has the yellow cap, I've seen many jeeps like mine in town that actually have the flexfuel badge on the rear hatch, on the left, opposite the "laredo" badge.
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
padgett
2012 WK 

Not mine, maybe part of the 2012 "decontenting". Or might be a California thing - don't they allow flex-fuel vehicles in special lanes ?
rearsm.jpg  
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
WvTaco
2011 WK 

no badge put says so on the cap and the window sticker.
according to http://www.e85locator.net/index.html the closest station is 185 miles away so no corn gas for me.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
padgett
2012 WK 

In Orlando today the price of 87 PON is $3.70/gal and E-85 is $3.30. If I go by the DOE ratings, E85 would need to be under $2.73/gal to be equal since MPG is much worse.

Diesel is over $4.00/gal so would need over 25 MPG highway to break even.

Am glad to have the E85 option & may come down to alky vs bunker fuel but makes no sense today.

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Penthos
2011 WK 

I've only seen the flex-fuel badge on early 2011 models. Mine was made 12/10 and no badge.
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Syndicate
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Not mine, maybe part of the 2012 "decontenting". Or might be a California thing - don't they allow flex-fuel vehicles in special lanes ?
CA stopped doing the flex fuel / clean emmission vehicle lane thing
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Bluehighways
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
I don't think they ever allowed E85 Vehicles in the HOV Lanes here. Natural Gas, 100% Electric (including the Chevy Volt now) and at one time some Hybrids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.