3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel is the pick of all engines. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel is the pick of all engines.

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Jeepdownunder
2011 WK 

Wk 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel is the pick of all engines.

For all future WK2 buyers in Australia and the USA, I would highly recommend the diesel, it has the go of the Hemi V8 with the economy of a 4 cylinder. The engine is lighter than the Hemi and give the vehicle better balance. Diesel motor last for ever and if you want they can be chipped to further increase power, torque and economy.

Jeepdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Ungerer

If thats the eng for you ok ,but it's not every ones cup of tea and the 3.6 v6 has 290 hp &you can get more out of it ?
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Ungerer

What part of oz you in it's good to see more people from oz in here have fun with you jeep as we love ours
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Jeepdownunder
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
If thats the eng for you ok ,but it's not every ones cup of tea and the 3.6 v6 has 290 hp &you can get more out of it ?
You are absolutely correct. It is my opinion only. But it's torque that moves a vehicle not hp. If you have a chance to drive one try it. I think you will luv it and there is plenty of $ in your pocket after every time you fill the tank. The 3.6L petrol engine was very nice but heavy on consumption.

I am from Melbourne, Victoria in Australia. Not willing to take the WK2 off-road just yet.
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Ungerer

Yes I am the same lol but I am in the coal fields ,so the way the roads are out here we need a 4x4 the jeeps are a lovely thing to drive
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
wk2jgc
2011 WK 

Tell us more....Unable to get a test drive of the diesel, we drove the V6 petrol and decided to order the diesel based on fuel consumption alone.

Both my wife and I drive diesels now, so we expect it to be much the same, but with oodles of grunt. Can you advise if the cabin noise is any louder than the V6?
wk2jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Although diesels have their fan boys and advantages, I'm waiting for the hybrid or electric. I hear one of the biggest downside to driving a diesel car has to do with emissions. Diesel cars may be cleaner than they used to be but they're still dirtier than gasoline cars, and a whole lot dirtier than a hybrid. The second downside is that diesel fuel is just so expensive here (at least 50 cents more a gallon and more when refineries turn to making fuel oil for furnaces), not to mention the engine premium in the first place.... the noxious smell ... cost of maintenance/repair... and knowledgeable repair techs are hard to find here, if your intent is a long term relationship. The 3.0 has not proven to be 300,000 mile durable yet, no reason it shouldn't be. Oh isn't there some additive refill required now and then to keep the motor emissions compliant? Is that only available at the dealer? How does that work on the 3.0 and how much does the refill cost? Just saying the buying a diesel to save money... well you won't here.

Torque gets you going the first few feet, but high reving and HP gets you there faster and with higher top speed. Today’s turbo-charged diesels can definitely keep up and perform on levels comparable to their gas-burning counterparts. But it takes a lot of tweaking and boosting technology ($$$) just to catch up to where a basic gas engine starts out. The benefit with diesel is that the fuel holds more energy and the engines may be more reliable. The downfall is that driving characteristics can be less responsive and exciting. You’ve heard of turbo lag, right? That’s the delay before the engine and speed revs up to deliver maximum performance. For many drivers, turbo lag isn’t a really big deal. But if you expect immediate performance, a diesel engine may disappoint instead of delight.

BTW, I've owned and driven several diesels. Love to tow with them, cruise with them, and drive the manual transmission, damn near impossible to stall. Torque is a good thing
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
deserthucker

Modern diesels don't smell and don't soot.
Virtually no lag, a little on takeoff then it is on boost every gear change.
deserthucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Cochon
2012 WK 

In the United States, diesel for anything but 18-wheelers and such is a financially unattractive proposition. The root cause isn't technical, it's governmental.

To begin with, the federal fuel tax configuration penalizes diesel vs. gasoline, the opposite of what's done in nearly every other advanced country. Decades ago, when nonfarm diesel was used exclusively by heavy, road-pounding trucks, this made sense, but no more.

Next, diesel is a mature technology. Unlike with electric and hydrogen, no government "research" money can be doled out to politically favored companies and their sympathetic workforces.

Finally, environmental nabobs insist that diesels produce no more emissions than a dog fart, again unlike in various other environmentally responsible countries. The result is the infamous "pee jar" that needs costly service roughly every 10k miles; skip this and the engine quits running. (And, yes, there are more practical technologies that produce almost the same emissions cleanup.)

The end result is that when we Yanks have to decide on an engine, nearly all of us spring for ye olde petrol.
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Ungerer

Yes all loaders are like it but they don't go fast lol
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
Jeepdownunder
2011 WK 

Wk Politics, profit and greed do not always make good sense!

Every country in the world has it's own politics. Businesses donate funds to political parties, political canditates and expect something in return. In the USA and poor petrol (sorry gas) quality is there to increase oil producers profits at the expense of more efficient fuels like diesel. Taxes on diesels in the US is aimed at that very point to herd the average person to use petrol/gas. Low octane fuel is also another way to increase profits. The cost to produce diesel is considerably cheaper than petrol/gas and therefore the cost of diesel should be much cheaper, politics/profit/greed. Modern diesel engine have excellent torque and use much less fuel.

In Australia, we have unlimited reserves of LPG (liquid petrolium gas) yet we have limited use regarding use for passanger vehicles. The politics is we heavily tax petrol/gas and the government makes a lot of money, politics. If we use the JGC motor specs their turbo diesel produces 550Nm of torque and averages 8.3L per 100km (sorry guy I only have the Australia specs). More torque than the Hemi V8 and very economical.

Europe is very advanced in motor vehicles. They have been using diesel engine from the start due to their effeciency.

Remapping Turbo Charged Diesel Engines are capable of the most impressive gains, up to 50% or more power and torque. Power is available through a much wider band than before making for a much smoother driving. Overtaking is vastly improved and improved benefit (depending on how you drive!!), fuel consumption can be improved due to the engines ability to "pull" in higher gears. This is very useful for towing, 4x4's and MPV's.

I am very sympathetic to motorist in the USA. The JGC WK2 is made in the US and you get the diesel motor last and have the pleasure of paying hefty taxes on diesel. Great stuff. I hope I have not offended anyone.
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
smooth
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdownunder View Post
Every country in the world has it's own politics. Businesses donate funds to political parties, political canditates and expect something in return. In the USA and poor petrol (sorry gas) quality is there to increase oil producers profits at the expense of more efficient fuels like diesel. Taxes on diesels in the US is aimed at that very point to herd the average person to use petrol/gas. Low octane fuel is also another way to increase profits. The cost to produce diesel is considerably cheaper than petrol/gas and therefore the cost of diesel should be much cheaper, politics/profit/greed. Modern diesel engine have excellent torque and use much less fuel.

In Australia, we have unlimited reserves of LPG (liquid petrolium gas) yet we have limited use regarding use for passanger vehicles. The politics is we heavily tax petrol/gas and the government makes a lot of money, politics. If we use the JGC motor specs their turbo diesel produces 550Nm of torque and averages 8.3L per 100km (sorry guy I only have the Australia specs). More torque than the Hemi V8 and very economical.

Europe is very advanced in motor vehicles. They have been using diesel engine from the start due to their effeciency.

Remapping Turbo Charged Diesel Engines are capable of the most impressive gains, up to 50% or more power and torque. Power is available through a much wider band than before making for a much smoother driving. Overtaking is vastly improved and improved benefit (depending on how you drive!!), fuel consumption can be improved due to the engines ability to "pull" in higher gears. This is very useful for towing, 4x4's and MPV's.

I am very sympathetic to motorist in the USA. The JGC WK2 is made in the US and you get the diesel motor last and have the pleasure of paying hefty taxes on diesel. Great stuff. I hope I have not offended anyone.
Deisel motors just don't rev fast enough. So no matter how much power you have, they just aren't faster. They can only haul more weight the same speed, so if you tow alot then it's great. But turbo rebuilds can get pricey too.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Deisel motors just don't rev fast enough. So no matter how much power you have, they just aren't faster. They can only haul more weight the same speed, so if you tow alot then it's great. But turbo rebuilds can get pricey too.
Guess that would explain why diesel RACE CARS keep winning at LeMans. Must be those big trailers they tow for 24 hours. I'm a HUGE diesel fan but over here the numbers just don't work unless you drive 30K+ a year and/or do a lot of heavy towing (pulling your jet ski to the lake does not qualify, sorry) It's a shame, but it's the truth...
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Terminator2

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. It is my opinion only. But it's torque that moves a vehicle not hp. If you have a chance to drive one try it. I think you will luv it and there is plenty of $ in your pocket after every time you fill the tank. The 3.6L petrol engine was very nice but heavy on consumption.

I am from Melbourne, Victoria in Australia. Not willing to take the WK2 off-road just yet.
Torque provides the initial twisting force to get you off the line but if torque output declines quickly as RPMs rise (diesel engines are famous for this) not only will you have lower average HP and a shorter powerband but you will also have lower peak HP. Moral of the story you need a long flat torque curve that carries well into the higher RPMs and seeing as diesels are normally severely RPM limited compared to most gas engines and their torque curves fall quickly as RPMs rise they make big torque down low but less HP normally than a gas engine with the same torque output.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Without HP you will never get the torque to the ground, without TQ you'll never move even with 1000hp.

You need both to move . Higher HP and low torque could beat out a vehicle with high torque and laughable HP, HP is the channel through with torque flows!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.