2WD off road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2WD off road?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
TroyCruise

2WD off road?

Anyone dared to take the 2WD GC out into the wild? Just wondering how it would handle etc... Obviously there are no skid plates on the 2WD that are worth a damn so you would have to use common sense. Just wanted to hear some real world experiences.

TroyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're planning on taking it on a mild dirt road, I'd think no problem.

Anything more than that and I'd suggest trading up to a 4x4.
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
steveinaz
2011 WK 

I've been thinking about this myself. My frame of reference is my ATV (Kingquad 750axi). I've been on some seriously rough trails, and I've never needed 4 wheel drive, yet. Now, I'm not a deep mudder, nor do I "swim" my quad, but for everything else, 2wd is all I've needed.

Also, in 1992 I owned a new Cherokee, 4x4, never once did I ever find myself in 4wd. Again, I'm not a serious rock climber or any of that---but I did routinely take it up quite rough mountain gravel roads and never had an issue.

I'll be picking up a 2011 soon, and I've been wondering if I should bother with the 4x4 version....
steveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Iamnid
2011 WK 

4x4 is only about $1500 extra
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Jeremy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnid View Post
4x4 is only about $1500 extra
It's nearly 3K extra for the Overland, so I ordered a 4X2. I don't off road, and I will most likely never need the 4x4 here in sunny SoCal. Plus, I get better MPG, lower insurance, and less mechanical things to worry about. But I know many on here would NEVER buy a Jeep without 4X4 and I understand that too.
Jeremy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
JeepGuy813
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
It's nearly 3K extra for the Overland, so I ordered a 4X2. I don't off road, and I will most likely never need the 4x4 here in sunny SoCal. Plus, I get better MPG, lower insurance, and less mechanical things to worry about. But I know many on here would NEVER buy a Jeep without 4X4 and I understand that too.

A jeep that isnt 4wd is just a normal CAR

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ = [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD TO PARENTS[/B][/COLOR]

1997 Jeep Wrangler Tj = [COLOR="RED"][B]SOLD[/COLOR][/B] and missed alot
JeepGuy813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Jeremy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy813 View Post
A jeep that isnt 4wd is just a normal CAR
Jeremy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Iamnid
2011 WK 

I'd say, if you're even asking this question, you may want to spend the extra money. It was only a $1,500 option on the Laredo.
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
smooth
2011 WK 

With all the benefits AWD offers in even bad weather, better cornering, and the confidence to go off road if you ever need to, and maybe even go off roading in bad weather, why wouldn't you just get it? I can't think of a single reason in the future you would regret it, and I can think of alot of situations you sure would wish you did get it.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

As long as a buddy with a real Jeep goes with you I guess you'd be fine taking a 2wd offroad =/
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
TroyCruise

I tried three dealers in my area for a 4x4 and the only one I found was a 41k overland v6. I wanted a v8. Either way just wondering what the 2wd will handle should the SHTF and I find myself off the beaten path. I'm a firm believer in its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it but I just couldn't find 4x4. It's the only part of my purchase I regret.
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Ungerer

Do you or have you gone off road if not who gives a **** if 4x4 or 2 wheel drive it will be sweet jeep
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
77rednecktruck

if you want a 4x2 get a Durango. "Jeep" shouldn't even offer a 2 wheel drive option. It kinda goes against the Jeep history and name IMO.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Ungerer

Ok sweet as
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
TroyCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
if you want a 4x2 get a Durango. "Jeep" shouldn't even offer a 2 wheel drive option. It kinda goes against the Jeep history and name IMO.
Yeah very true. All jeeps should be 4x4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.