2015 Grand Cherokee Transmission Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2015 Grand Cherokee Transmission Failure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
steb0r

2015 Grand Cherokee Transmission Failure

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited

V6 - Gas

Build Date: 7/14

Mileage: 5500

Always driven in ECO mode

Prior service history: Vehicle has been at the dealer once before at 1800 mileage for an alignment issue and any applicable flashes/TSB's.

As winter approached I started to notice with the colder temperatures mis shifts, lurching and a very slight clunk when the transmission would finally "grab".

Yesterday on the way in to work the vehicle started shifting erratically and slipping. Luckily I made it to the parking garage with the check engine light, traction control light, red ring lit around the speedometer and a Service Transmission warning message. Tried to pull forward into a parking spot but it seemed like the vehicle was in neutral. Tried to move the gear shift and it seemed to be locked. I turned the vehicle off, started it up again and was able to limp it into the spot. I thought it was in park but when I went to shut off the vehicle and it said vehicle must be in park. Moved the gear shifter into reverse then forward and I was able to shut the vehicle off. Applied emergency brake.

Called the dealership who gave me the number for roadside assistance. I was too busy at work to deal with the issue. When I went out to leave there was no check engine light or any warning messages. Drove it straight to the dealer, the whole time it was shifting all over and slipping.

I spoke to the service rep at the dealer this morning who said they were able to pull the check engine light code and they have contacted Chrysler and were waiting to hear back from them.

The service rep called me back stating that they are going to special order a valve body and the part should be here tomorrow. They will call me once the vehicle is ready.

Afterthoughts;

I read the forums quite extensively before buying my Jeep and I knew what I was getting into. I was hopeful that I wouldn't have any issues so I went ahead with the purchase but I also purchased the max care lifetime which has come in handy twice now. Overall I have enjoyed the vehicle in the three months of ownership.

I am concerned about the future reliability, the time sink dealing with getting a brand new vehicle in for service and for my safety if the vehicle were to break down in rush hour traffic. I'm not sure how long I plan to keep it since it's already having issues and I just don't need the worries or hassle.

Several friends and coworkers have commented how nice the vehicle looks but at this point I cannot recommend this vehicle to anyone. I base this only on my experience as a first time Jeep owner, I realize there are thousands of lucky owners who haven't had any issues yet, I just wish I were one of them.

Can anyone who's had the valve body replaced comment on how the vehicle has been after? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by steb0r; 02-12-2015 at 04:50 AM..
steb0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
airgas1998
2014 WK 

pathetic and depressing at the same time....
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steb0r View Post

I also purchased the max care lifetime which has come in handy twice now. Overall I have enjoyed the vehicle in the three months of ownership.
I am very sorry for your troubles, but how has max care lifetime coverage helped you any more than the original 3 year warranty (5 years on powertrain, no?)?
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
pwrdbym

Max Care includes a rental car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
Max Care includes a rental car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The new car warranty doesn't? Even for a transmission failure?
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
The new car warranty doesn't? Even for a transmission failure?
Nope! Not aware of any manufacturer warranty that does. Not even Benz or BMW or.....only way is when the dealer offers "loaners" or when the dealer requests and gets approval from corporate for the rental. Chrysler seems to be pretty good about authorizing rentals for true "down" situations that appear to be in their major known issue/problem STAR database.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
steb0r

That's why I purchased the warranty. The dealer said they might be able to find me a loaner but they were short on them so the warranty allowed me to get a rental. Unless you like to gamble and you're really lucky, I feel like the warranty is almost a must. Buying a second car to get around while your Jeep is in the shop would also be a good choice as well. I'm concerned how the Jeep will be after this repair, with a chance of heavy snow, temperatures in the teens or below would make for a horrible time to get stranded. I will update tomorrow after I hear from the dealer.
Unread 02-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The MaxCare Extended Service Contract (it's not a "warranty") does include a rental car and that coverage is available even during the original vehicle warranty period. The MaxCare deductible, whatever is chosen, doesn't kick in until the original vehicle warranty runs out.
Unread 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
mdrums
2014 WK 

Sorry to hear this...will Jeep ever get it together?
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
sticker500
2000 WJ 

Quote:

Always driven in ECO mode

Prior service history: Vehicle has been at the dealer once before at 1800 mileage for an alignment issue and any applicable flashes/TSB's.

As winter approached I started to notice with the colder temperatures mis shifts, lurching and a very slight clunk when the transmission would finally "grab".

Yesterday on the way in to work the vehicle started shifting erratically and slipping. Luckily I made it to the parking garage with the check engine light, traction control light, red ring lit around the speedometer and a Service Transmission warning message. Tried to pull forward into a parking spot but it seemed like the vehicle was in neutral. Tried to move the gear shift and it seemed to be locked. I turned the vehicle off, started it up again and was able to limp it into the spot. I thought it was in park but when I went to shut off the vehicle and it said vehicle must be in park. Moved the gear shifter into reverse then forward and I was able to shut the vehicle off. Applied emergency brake.

Called the dealership who gave me the number for roadside assistance. I was too busy at work to deal with the issue. When I went out to leave there was no check engine light or any warning messages. Drove it straight to the dealer, the whole time it was shifting all over and slipping.

I spoke to the service rep at the dealer this morning who said they were able to pull the check engine light code and they have contacted Chrysler and were waiting to hear back from them.

The service rep called me back stating that they are going to special order a valve body and the part should be here tomorrow. They will call me once the vehicle is ready.

Afterthoughts;

I read the forums quite extensively before buying my Jeep and I knew what I was getting into. I was hopeful that I wouldn't have any issues so I went ahead with the purchase but I also purchased the max care lifetime which has come in handy twice now. Overall I have enjoyed the vehicle in the three months of ownership.

I am concerned about the future reliability, the time sink dealing with getting a brand new vehicle in for service and for my safety if the vehicle were to break down in rush hour traffic. I'm not sure how long I plan to keep it since it's already having issues and I just don't need the worries or hassle.

Several friends and coworkers have commented how nice the vehicle looks but at this point I cannot recommend this vehicle to anyone. I base this only on my experience as a first time Jeep owner, I realize there are thousands of lucky owners who haven't had any issues yet, I just wish I were one of them.

Can anyone who's had the valve body replaced comment on how the vehicle has been after? Thanks in advance!
Mines in for the same issue and I too have 5500 miles. I didn't get any failures but the cold weather shifting and harshness was disturbing since I didn't have this for the first 5k. I am in a rental car as well but don't have any additional purchased warranty. They are supposedly working with Chrysler on this..
sticker500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
XJMudder
1993 YJ Wrangler 

we just took my wife's 2014 with about 6,600 miles on it to the dealers today for about the same thing . hers started about 2 weeks ago she got about a 1/4 mile from are house when the check engine light came on and then she said it started to jerk or buck then no power she said it would just barely move so she turned around got it half way in are driveway and took my ram. I let it sit about 15-20 mins and went out and drove it the rest of the way in the yard seemed fine . made one appt. to get it in but had to cancel because of snow storm lastweek made another for today . I took it out yesterday and drove it on the same road she did it did seem to jerk a little but then was fine . took off this morning and 2 miles from are house all we had was 7th gear ! it was real fun taking off from a stop with just 7th gear . they told us it was a servo in trans first one they had seen he did say they had one in a pickup do the same thing but that was it. guess this dealer is different we got a loaner for the day and when we were told what was wrong we got one to take home they have always been good about giving us something to drive .
XJMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
bobafettt
2014 WK 

Didn't see if this was mentioned but V6 or V-8?
bobafettt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
XJMudder
1993 YJ Wrangler 

mines a V6 but I see this sound like the same problem they have had right along with the 2014's also mines the all-wheel drive model .
XJMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #14
steb0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
Didn't see if this was mentioned but V6 or V-8?
I updated my original post, it is a V6.
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
sticker500
2000 WJ 

Quote:

I updated my original post, it is a V6.
Mine as well, V6 4x4 Overland
sticker500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.