2015 GMC/Yukon versus 2014 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2015 GMC/Yukon versus 2014 Grand Cherokee

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
jloutz

2015 GMC/Yukon versus 2014 Grand Cherokee

I understand not apples to apples, but would like to know if anyone has owned say the previous Tahoe/Yukon platform (2007 - 2013). I'm really loving the look of the Jeep and all the mods you guys have pulled off. Not towing anything in the Tahoe (3rd row buckets constantly out) or hauling around any kids or people, (I do have a bike rack on the hitch), etc. The truck has been completely solid over 7+ years and I love the room in the drivers/passenger area and especially how high up this SUV sits.
Will I notice that much of a difference going to the 2014 Cherokee (Not to mentions ~10K - 15K cost savings vs. the 15 Hoe)? I know, go test drive one. I did that in 2011 as my girlfriend was car shopping, but five minutes behind the wheel gives little sagacity to the over all experience.
Thank you in advance to your comments.

jloutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Apples and Oranges...... Really no comparison......

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Porsche .....

Jeep guy here...brother law is a Tahoe guy . He uses it like a truck and a tractor on his farm . Even hauls a manure spreader with it!

Test drive them....city , hwy, off road, ..... Jeep is refined......Chevy is a truck in Sheeps clothing.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
jloutz

[QUOTE=Ah673000;22767985]Apples and Oranges...... Really no comparison......

Please reread the first sentence when you get the chance.
jloutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
canistel
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
Apples and Oranges...... Really no comparison......

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Porsche .....

Jeep guy here...brother law is a Tahoe guy . He uses it like a truck and a tractor on his farm . Even hauls a manure spreader with it!

Test drive them....city , hwy, off road, ..... Jeep is refined......Chevy is a truck in Sheeps clothing.
I agree to testdrive, but your other point is incorrect; definitely NOT "jeep is refined, chevy is a truck in sheeps clothing". It all depends on trim, my friend. Jeep aint anymore refined than a yukon, hate to burst your bubble Max out a Yukon and max out a GC, both are extremely well equiped and very luxiourious. The one is huge, the other midsize, that would be my main differentiating factor. Owning a base laredo, I would even go so far as to say the yukon has a much more refined powertain (no transmission clunking or jerking, just smooth raw v8 power).

You know guys, it's perfectly OK to love your Jeep and still admire other vehicles Anybody who claims the Yukon is somehow inferior really needs to get their head out of the sand. They're both great.
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
I would even go so far as to say the yukon has a much more refined powertain (no transmission clunking or jerking, just smooth raw v8 power).

The Cheby forums are full of those that would disagree with that statement. They seem to be having more issues.

Both vehicles are decent, one is very large the other small. Thats the main difference... and that pretty much leads to their on and off road capability.
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

GM guy but had a 95 wrangler when I graduated college. It died with 160k miles. 2003 trailblazer died with 240k miles. Try before you buy and was holding out on future trailblazer replacement but the Grand Cherokee is just a great looking truck that handles on and off pavement. It has more than enough space. I have a dirt bike carrier and trailer but have not tried yet. Trailblazer handled it like a champ from NorCal to WA state OR to SoCal.

I still love GM and their reliability. However Jeep had what I wanted. Now f the Trailblazer replacement was out...I would be in it heck last year was the first time I bought a Ford and it has been an awesome car. Good luck but determine your needs.

ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

One thing I always hated about Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades for at least the last 10 years is that big ugly shifter handle sticking out of the steering column. I know others will say it frees up real estate on the center console but you have to admit that thing is UGLY and just cheapens the look of the interior, even in the Escalade in which they wrap that stalk in leather. That's funny.
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
mx71
2013 WK 

I haven't driven the 07-14 Tahoes, but I had a '99 and my ex girlfriend had an '05 Z71.

I prefer the interior's fit and finish on the GC more, and I can't take the body roll of Tahoes. The GC feels a little more confident in corners, and I don't like to slow down for them.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
esimp

I've driven both recently. The GC will feel
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

2015 Yukon is redesigned. New 5.3 and interior/exterior. You need to compare a base model Yukon to a limited 5.7l GC just to get a comparable comparison powertrain wise.

If it was me there wouldn't be anything about it, Yukon!
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
esimp

The GC will feel smaller and more compact than the Yukon. Ride height is similar. I found the GC handles better and feels better with less body roll than the Yukon. The GC is more "solid".

You might be disappointed with the cargo space in the GC vs Tahoe. But the GC has a much better turn radius.

The fit/finish on the GC interior is somewhat better than on the Yukon but I preferred the Yukons seats/leather over my GC. I didn't like the shift on Yukons steering wheel stock. I also think uconnect works better on GC than the GM version.

The GC transmission is way silkier (remember I have the Hemi and the 8 speed lifted out of the BMW).

I think the Yukon would tow a house, however. But I'd take the GC through deeper mud and snow.

IMHO.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
SouthDakota
Jeep Owner Since 2006

2014 WK 

I will basically mirror what the others are saying here. Its like comparing a Ram 1500 or Ford F150 to a Ford Ranger, as far as size goes. The Yukon, no matter how they improved it, will feel more like a truck. Not knocking that, I enjoy trucks, just saying its two different preferences and that you will get many people on both sides of the fence.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I had a GMC Acadia and it felt like driving a land yacht; can only imagine the Yukon to feel even more massive. I've no desire to own a behemoth SUV again, as nice as the GMCs are on the inside; just way too massive for daily use.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

I drive Chevy Silverado trucks for work. I get one every 2.5 years or so. I'm on my fifth in a row, a 2013. I have had very good luck. Only one of the Chev trucks I have had has ever required repair, and it was a one-shot deal done under warranty. It was a semi-major deal (bad lifter took out the cam), but then again I might have avoided the cam replacement if I'd taken it in sooner. I did, after all, say this was a company car. Despite what I seem to hear about GM's reliability issues that has not been my experience. GM SUVs and trucks ride very comfortably.

While searching for my new personal vehicle (I ended up with 2014 JGC Limited) I rented during business trips a GMC Acadia, Chevy Suburban and Tahoes. All pleasant, but as other posters have said, a much bigger vehicle to drive...or so it seems. The Chevy's didn't float my boat for driving feel / experience or for the interior accoutrements. Jeep is much more quietly refined and luxurious IMO.

I'm a Chevy truck man but I like my Jeep for an SUV.
HaydenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
mx71
2013 WK 

Having said what I did earlier, if I drove a pickup, it'd be a silverado. My dad is on his third silverado and I love it. He's got a 2014 right now, had to have some tranny issue worked out but it's been awesome. Before that, a 2011 that had to have a head replaced at 10,000 miles, but otherwise awesome. Before that, a 2007 classic with no issues.

The only reason I didn't consider a Tahoe/Yukon was that I didn't need that much interior space, and I couldn't stand the body roll. If not for that5, I'd be driving one now. I had an ex girlfriend with a three year old, and in her car seat in the middle of my GC, she was able to "touch" IE kick the front seats. She couldn't do that in a tahoe/yukon. If I had kids, I may have considered those more seriously.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.