2014 WK2 Roof Rail Delete is easy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 WK2 Roof Rail Delete is easy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 06-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Beeware07
2014 WK 

Wk 2014 WK2 Roof Rail Delete is easy

I have seen many people wondering how to do a roof rail delete/ convert to SRT rails. I hope this helps some people realize that it is possible and really not that difficult. Patience is the golden rule...
You will need these items
-12 Stainless button head screw 6mm x 1.00 x 20mm
-12 Stainless flat washers 1/4" hole
-12 thin rubber washers 1/4" hole
-Hacksaw with sharp blade in the 45 degree position
-Blue painters tape to protect the paint from the hacksaw
-1 tube of silicone
-SRT Rail mouldings Right side- 68088702AC and Left side- 68088703AC
Complete total should be less than $110 (if you have a hacksaw).

Step 1: Remove factory rail torx bolts (4 per side). Slide roof rail to the rear and it should come loose. Clean all the loose dirt that was trapped under the rail with water and a rag.

Step 2: Place blue painters tape along high spots of the body to protect the paint. I put three layers and did come in contact with the tape once. I peeled the first layer of tape and the second layer was not disturbed. (Tape is cheaper that repairing paint).

Step 3: Use a new 18tpi "Metal" hacksaw blade in the 45 degree position of the hacksaw frame. Slowly start cutting off the mushroom top of the nutserts. It really is not that thick of metal and goes fairly smooth. Take your time and don't get to aggressive, especially toward the end. I cleaned up the metal shavings after each nutsert. Get all the shavings and don't forget the ones that fall and sit on the side window rubber seals. Clean off sharp edges with a small metal file. Again, take your time and protect your paint.

Step 4: Prepare new SRT mouldings. Remove ALL the plastic spacers that are inserted in the six holes. Water is going to get under the rail. I used a round file to make a small outlet in the front and rear of each moulding.

Step 5: Apply silicone on all the cut tops of the nutserts. Center the rubber washers on the holes. Slowly place the new moulding on the rubber washers, being careful not to move the rubber washers. Use a hand held allen tool to screw in the stainless button head screws with the 1/4" stainless washers. Get them all started before snugging them down. The rubber washer will compress just a little to let the moulding meet the paint with no gap.

Once i gathered all the hardware, the installation didn't take but 2 hrs max.

First timer posting to a forum... couldn't figure out how to show the images. PM me with your email if you would like the pics to go with this post. I will try to put them in my gallery.
Sorry, I'm a Newbie

Beeware07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.