2014 wk2 and rock rails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 wk2 and rock rails?

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

2014 wk2 and rock rails?

I have now called two separate jeep dealerships. Both part and service departments told me they cannot verify that the rock rails for 2011 2013 models will fit a 2014.

looking at the 2 vehicles I don't really see why they would not fit, on the other hand, the MOPAR rock rails with built in step sound like they are overall rather difficult to install, neither department had any experience doing so and I could see them getting halfway through the project and aborting with the excuse "they dont fit" and then I am stuck?

I have not yet contacted them, but is anyone know off hand if the rocky road out fitters rock rails fit a 2014? the only problem I have with those is they seem quite short?

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
MartyA
2012 WK 

First, I can NOT guarantee that the stock rails will fit a 2014.

That said, it's the same body with, as far as I know, no changes. In fact, the rocker panels would be a very expensive change to a vehicle design during a run.

The install is a bit of a pain but it really isn't bad once you know what you're getting into. There's a few threads on the forum (including mine) that go over the install. And feel free to PM me for more detailed info.

The only 'bad' side to the install is what you implied - once you start it may be difficult or impossible to 'back up' and return to stock. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Good luck!
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
vytec
2014 WK 

Can you post the link to your thread for installing them. I'm ordering some myself and could use all the help I can get to install them. Thanks. Does anyone know of any videos showing how to install them?
vytec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytec View Post
Can you post the link to your thread for installing them.
Welcome!

Have you tried searching for it? You can either search or go to the users profile and see the threads they have posted in, too.

Being your first post you need to familiarize yourself with the Rules and Guidelines on the first page along with the other stickies. There is a ton of information already posted in here.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

mopar rock rails went on the 2014 ltd today, the ends were solid steel capped, not open like some of the prior posts. dealer installed, took them all day
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Couple of observation re: MOPAR rock rails (opposed to RRO or Trailhawk rails)

Pros:
- extension tube/bar that protrudes will be great for preventing door dings, standing to get stuff off roof, kids getting in/out, more importantly for side slipping into rocks and trees on the trail--they do stick out farther than the widest part of the doors
- they are solid, they go far under the jeep too. they do not reduce ground clearance

Cons:
- as noted by someone else when you get in/out they tend to rub your shin, not painful, just awkward and will get nice clothes dirty, would nt be an issue in a taller ride as you would step on them to get in, the wk2 is low enough they just get in the way. I dont really care
- pricey, part about 850, install about 300-350

I thought long and hard about trailhawk rails, RRO, or these. Trailhawk rails do not give any side protection. RRO are way too short. These are everything you would want for good off road armor. Now I wish there were steel bumper options other than RRO
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
TSingh
2015 JK Wrangler 

Can you post a pic of the finished product?
TSingh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

will do, I'll work on pics
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
jcav8r

So they do fit, but not perfectly? Why did it take them all day?
jcav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcav8r View Post
So they do fit, but not perfectly? Why did it take them all day?
They fit great in the end, it is my understanding they are a tough install regardless of WK2 year. They are not "bolt on", parts of the wheel well need to be cut, holes need to be drilled, etc. The finished product looks great but it is clear looking at them the install could be tricky. I'm sure installing running boards would be much easier but these are armor
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
MartyA
2012 WK 

Yes, they can be a difficult install, but if you read the threads on here by those who have done it, it is not impossible. "All day" is not really a relevant measure unless you sat in a lawn chair and watched what the mechanics did.

And to clarify, nothing in the wheel well needs to be cut, but the instructions do include trimming a bit of the removed plastic to act as a cap on the front of the rail.

IMHO, you're overthinking this. You have direct testimony that the rails fit on your 2014. If you want them, then go for it. If you doubt your ability to install them then have your dealer or a trusted mechanic do the installation.
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
vytec
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
I have now called two separate jeep dealerships. Both part and service departments told me they cannot verify that the rock rails for 2011 2013 models will fit a 2014.

looking at the 2 vehicles I don't really see why they would not fit, on the other hand, the MOPAR rock rails with built in step sound like they are overall rather difficult to install, neither department had any experience doing so and I could see them getting halfway through the project and aborting with the excuse "they dont fit" and then I am stuck?

I have not yet contacted them, but is anyone know off hand if the rocky road out fitters rock rails fit a 2014? the only problem I have with those is they seem quite short?
I purchased some from online and they shipped right away and I installed them last weekend. Here's a writeup I did for them. They do look great, and if you are handyman or good with cars, you can easily install them yourself and save a bunch of money.

2014 WK2 Grand Cherokee Mopar Rock Rail Installation
vytec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
volvite
1999 WJ 

Link does not work.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Link does not work.
Go to the Write Up sticky.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
vytec
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Link does not work.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...e-ups-1325215/

Here's a sticky thread with my post there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.