2014 V8 4x4 Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V8 4x4 Mileage

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
bgreenstone

2014 V8 4x4 Mileage

I've had my Jeep for about a week and a half now, and I'm quite impressed with the highway mileage that I'm getting. I've put around 1000 miles on the car so far after having done a few weekend road trips with it, and I've been closely watching what kind of MPG I get under various conditions. The EPA says I should be getting 14/20, but here's what I've found:

1. If I do 60-65mph on a very flat road with no hills I actually get 24mpg quite easily and consistently. With a slight tail wind that can even go up to 27mpg.

2. If I increase speed to 70 my mpg will drop to more like 22. If I go to 75, it drops to about 20-21mpg.

3. If there are hills or lots of overpasses every mile or two such that I'm going up-down-up-down, my MPG drops quite a bit - to around 19-21 mpg depending on speed.

4. Cruising at low speeds of 30-45 mph even without stops, I get a paltry 15mpg.

5. City driving gets me 12mpg or worse, and I don't drive like a maniac. I cannot get anywhere near the 14 mpg City that is on the sticker.

6. My average driving MPG with City/Hwy combined is generally around 18.

7. Over memorial day weekend we did a 520 mile road trip from Austin->Houston->Galveston and back to Austin with a fair amount of city driving at each location, and lots of sitting in traffic in Houston. My MPG average for that whole trip was still 19.8mpg.

So, my conclusion is that the Jeep gets awful city MPG, but really quite excellent (for a V8 SUV) highway MPG. I'm using crappy old 87 octane gas, and my tires are running about 36psi when warmed up. A/C is on full blast.

-Brian

bgreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
miticale

I've found the same mileage on my '11. In the big picture on the highway it isn't bad at all. I've done a road trip NYC - Pittsburgh in my Jeep & my altima (2.5 4 cyl) and spent maybe $30 more. For the comforts and reliability, $30 well spent additional.
miticale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
KickRocks
2013 WK 

I've seen as high as 27 MPG on a 40 mile stretch of a flat road at 65 mph..... mostly averaging 24-25 on highways with my 13 Hemi overland.
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
bgreenstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
I've seen as high as 27 MPG on a 40 mile stretch of a flat road at 65 mph..... mostly averaging 24-25 on highways with my 13 Hemi overland.
Nice! Do you put 87 or 89 octane in yours?

-Brian
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
modernblueWK

This is with the new 8 speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreenstone View Post
I've had my Jeep for about a week and a half now, and I'm quite impressed with the highway mileage that I'm getting. I've put around 1000 miles on the car so far after having done a few weekend road trips with it, and I've been closely watching what kind of MPG I get under various conditions. The EPA says I should be getting 14/20, but here's what I've found:

1. If I do 60-65mph on a very flat road with no hills I actually get 24mpg quite easily and consistently. With a slight tail wind that can even go up to 27mpg.

2. If I increase speed to 70 my mpg will drop to more like 22. If I go to 75, it drops to about 20-21mpg.

3. If there are hills or lots of overpasses every mile or two such that I'm going up-down-up-down, my MPG drops quite a bit - to around 19-21 mpg depending on speed.

4. Cruising at low speeds of 30-45 mph even without stops, I get a paltry 15mpg.

5. City driving gets me 12mpg or worse, and I don't drive like a maniac. I cannot get anywhere near the 14 mpg City that is on the sticker.

7. Over memorial day weekend we did a 520 mile road trip from Austin->Houston->Galveston and back to Austin with a fair amount of city driving at each location, and lots of sitting in traffic in Houston. My MPG average for that whole trip was still 19.8mpg.

So, my conclusion is that the Jeep gets awful city MPG, but really quite excellent (for a V8 SUV) highway MPG. I'm using crappy old 87 octane gas, and my tires are running about 36psi when warmed up. A/C is on full blast.

-Brian
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
lysol
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreenstone View Post

-Brian
Funny you said 19.8. That was the EXACT mpg the EVIC told me after driving from Alabama to Virginia this past weekend in my '13 V8. I was cruising too... lol.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
bgreenstone

It sounds like we all get about the same mileage regardless of 8 speed or the old 5 speed. Plus, mine has the 4-cylinder cutoff at cruising speed, but that doesn't seem to really matter either.

-Brian
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
dcbullets

I'm impressed that everybody can get decent gas mileage on the Hemi. I have a 13 HEMI Summit, and not matter how I slice it or dice it, I get an average of 13.6 MPG per tank.
dcbullets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
A 40 mile stretch means nothing, come back and report it when you get that for a tankful.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
modernblueWK

Im driving from Colorado to Oklahoma on monday morning in the Durango. We'll see what we get on our first long trip. My wife drives 3 miles to work in the Durango and she gets about 16 mpg avg so far.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
lysol
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullets View Post
I'm impressed that everybody can get decent gas mileage on the Hemi. I have a 13 HEMI Summit, and not matter how I slice it or dice it, I get an average of 13.6 MPG per tank.
I get that when I'm flying (90mph) or towing... The trick is the cruise control. I also put it in tow/haul mode when going over hills to keep the transmission from changing gears so much. My average is around 18mpg when traveling most of the time.
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
nyrhockey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
A 40 mile stretch means nothing, come back and report it when you get that for a tankful.
quoted for truth.

Small samples in "perfect" conditions mean nothing.

"hey, i can get 30+ mgp going downhill"
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullets View Post
I agree. I think most mpg threads are BS. Half of america doesnt even understand how to check fuel economy....OP may be getting great fuel economy, and if so that is awesome.

I have 3700 miles on my hemi WK2 and we are averaging about 15.5mpg with 75% highway driving at 77-80mph the other 25+% driving is rural driving. We got 14.5mpg 100% highway last week at 77mph with 4 adults and 4 bikes on a tow hitch style bike rack. I have owned 4 hemis now and they are the worse fuel economy V8 I have ever owned. With that being said I love my hemi WK2 and I didnt buy it for fuel mileage I bought it tow my boat. If we didnt have the boat I would never own a hemi.

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
lysol
2013 WK 

Honestly, people have to take all the MPG threads with a grain of salt. There are too many unknown variables.

Elevation plays a big part in fuel economy.
Tires installed can make a difference.
amount of weight loaded inside?
towing?
Did it rain/snow?
What was the wind like? Tail wind? Head wind?
speed?
what mode? sport? auto? tow/haul?
what type of gas? (not a huge deal breaker here)
what was the traffic like?
Did you drive part city / part highway on said tank?
How much did you use cruise control?

Another confusing variable is that all of the above variables blend too much over the course of a longer trip to make it almost impossible to take into account.

And the biggest one is your route. If you drive 1000 miles and across the entire trip, you could have lost thousands of fee in elevation. Another guy could have driven across flat terrain the whole trip. Someone else could have had a mix of flat and hills. You have to take all the posts and build an opinion knowing all of the above variables...

Was I surprised that I got 19.8 MPG on my last trip? Hell yea!!! I had gotten 12-13 MPG towing a small 8' uhaul enclosed trailor with just my 300lb motorcycle inside. Pathetic I thought.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

The get about 15 mpg steady and that's just fine with me. On the highway I get close to 22mpg. I do a lot of highway driving.
The biggest benefit the JGC has (fuel consumption-wise ...IMO)is that is runs on regular fuel (15% saving on fuel right over competitors)
I think the regular burns too fast when the truck when you put your foot in it though.

I use to own a Japanese V8( litre)it ran on premium.
It didn't burn the fuel as fast as JGC.
H
Leisure driving mitigates heavy fuel consumption .

I Did not get a V8 to drive leisurely .

Love my 2012 V8 limited .
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.