2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Reply
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #121
2014RedHemiGC
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beech Mountain, NC
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
All of this complaining amazes me. I love the eco mode and I am a driving enthusiast to say the least. When I want to drive it hard, I shift to sport mode but most of the time I am just commuting and I like the better gas mileage when I don't care about performance. In traffic I turn off eco mode because of the jerky-ness.

Those that are complaining that eco mode gets worse gas mileage, that's because you drive like my wife, always accelerating or braking. Nothing can help you get better gas mileage.
Well said!!

__________________
2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #122
canistel
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Well said!!
Yeah, your opinion doesn't count; this is a V6 thread
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #123
2014RedHemiGC
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beech Mountain, NC
Posts: 128
__________________
2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #124
Global
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8
I went through a very similar line of complaint on a BMW forum over the status of Auto Start/Stop on the BMW X3. Many drivers really dislike that feature, and were frustrated at having to switch it off every time they restarted their vehicle. For 2014, BMW finally changed the programming on new X3's, so that the default was "off", and they reprogrammed older vehicles for free if the driver requested it.

I love driving my X3, but have ordered a GC because it offers features that now matter more to me than the better agility and acceleration of the BMW. But this thread reminded me that I am also giving up the ability to fix a lot of driver preference settings through "coding". Users can use a laptop to reset a variety of BMW system settings, and one of those is the Auto Stop/Start feature. Long before BMW changed that feature officially, some of us users had recoded it ourselves. I wish that was an option on Jeeps.

For the record, Eco-mode on the X3 defaults to OFF at startup. Ironically, some users have reprogrammed their BMW so that Eco-mode is ON at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I dunno, folks here have been complaining to Jeep about WK2 defaults and shift points and sluggishness since Y2010 when the 2011s came out, and nothing has changed.

IMHO, Chrysler/Fiat needs to be hearing these complaints from their dealers, more effective if there are lost sales due to a feature or lack thereof that a competitor does better and for less money. Its going to take a bit more work than simply picking up the phone and calling Jeep to complain... although it won't hurt. It may also help one feel better as one can release some of their frustration.
Global is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #125
Steiner84
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post

That's not true at all. I should probably shut up about this eco mode stuff, think I've said enough on that subject; but I have a base laredo. All I GET is eco mode junk. Yes, that means my jeep just drags it's poky butt around everywhere it goes, hardly "fun to drive".

The reason I get worse mileage letting the transmission shift, then manually shifting mysef? Because the transmission does NOT adapt to how I drive. During acceleration, it always shifts up too early, causing the thing to lug; so I then press down on the pedal to get it to speed up a little... *crickets* ... no reaction. Goose the thing and suddenly it drops down two gears revving way over the top. That right there is why I burn more gas than I should. If it would have stayed in the proper gear in the first place, then I wouldn't have had the lugging, nor the extreme opposite revving once I press harder.

Same thing with downshifting, it doesn't down shift quick enough into one gear below, so that means when you inevitablaly have to floor it it shifts down more gears than needed, again bringing the revs way up.

A very frustrating and awful experience at times unless I have all day and just let the stupid thing do what it wants. Seriously considering booting it out of my driveway and getting a tahoe or something. The reason I haven't is because they nailed the rest of the jeep 100%; the looks, the handling (for an suv), the smooth ride, the ability to go off road, even the size (I prefer the midsize jeep over a fullsize tahoe). Probably going to just wait until some tuner cleans up after jeep and gets a proper fix for the shift points.
Touche! Except it's not enough for me to want a different vehicle. At this point, turning it off is as mindless and automatic as putting on my seatbelt. Still wish off was default though.
Steiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #126
tiny17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23
It's such a silly thing. It should be a toggle switch with memory that persists between drives. What a crazy oversight on Jeep's part.
tiny17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #127
dreaves1806
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 2
Extremely Disappointed with Jeep GC's Eco Mode

Several month's back, I posted a question within this forum to determine if the Eco mode on my 2014 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be defaulted to "Off". Since that time, there has been a lot of discussion and opinions expressed; some very spirited; some not applicable.

My question was not posted because of an underlying dislike for Jeep or Chrysler in general. My question was not posted to influence potential buyers of a 2014 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee. And most importantly, my question was not posted to simply disagree with you. It was simply a question to determine if anyone, at that time, was aware of a way for me to either recode this configuration option myself or if Jeep will recode it for me. I posed my question, because.... I DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THE VEHICLE DRIVES WITH ECO MODE ENABLED. I have driven the vehicle for 1 year and I STILL DO NOT LIKE IT. I have asked the dealer for assistance, but they told me I am stuck with this feature. They did, however, apply a flash update for the transmission, which did not improve the issue. So I will ask again.

1. Is anyone aware of a change in Jeep's policy that will allow the Eco feature to default to off or at least to last driver selection?
2. Is anyone aware of a handheld tuner, such as a Superchips, that will allow me to change this feature?
dreaves1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #128
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaves1806 View Post
Several month's back, I posted a question within this forum to determine if the Eco mode on my 2014 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be defaulted to "Off". Since that time, there has been a lot of discussion and opinions expressed; some very spirited; some not applicable.

My question was not posted because of an underlying dislike for Jeep or Chrysler in general. My question was not posted to influence potential buyers of a 2014 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee. And most importantly, my question was not posted to simply disagree with you. It was simply a question to determine if anyone, at that time, was aware of a way for me to either recode this configuration option myself or if Jeep will recode it for me. I posed my question, because.... I DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THE VEHICLE DRIVES WITH ECO MODE ENABLED. I have driven the vehicle for 1 year and I STILL DO NOT LIKE IT. I have asked the dealer for assistance, but they told me I am stuck with this feature. They did, however, apply a flash update for the transmission, which did not improve the issue. So I will ask again.

1. Is anyone aware of a change in Jeep's policy that will allow the Eco feature to default to off or at least to last driver selection?
2. Is anyone aware of a handheld tuner, such as a Superchips, that will allow me to change this feature?
As you can see in the pages in this thread.
No
No.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #129
NDSU_Bison
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 688
Even when I try to maximize my mileage, I've noticed it's better with eco off. I have the ecodiesel so maybe the programming isn't tuned for the low end torque us oil burners have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
All of this complaining amazes me. I love the eco mode and I am a driving enthusiast to say the least. When I want to drive it hard, I shift to sport mode but most of the time I am just commuting and I like the better gas mileage when I don't care about performance. In traffic I turn off eco mode because of the jerky-ness.

Those that are complaining that eco mode gets worse gas mileage, that's because you drive like my wife, always accelerating or braking. Nothing can help you get better gas mileage.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #130
ironpeddler123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
My Grand Cherokee Limited 2014 is now one year old. It has been the worst auto that I have had in 50 years. This is because of the horrible transmission. It has not worked acceptably since I got it. I doesn't shift right, is dangerous when won't downshift in emergency situations etc etc etc.

Finally, after keeping after the dealer, they flashed the TCM / DTCM with update 18-19-05-9D, or so it says on the repair form. It is unbelievable! Not only does the transmission work like all other vehicles, it is great. Have not even tried it with the Eco button off as it works great as it is. On top of great performance, it is getting 1 to 2 more MPG.

I advise anyone with transmission problems to get this done. ONLY TOOK A YEAR TO FIX
ironpeddler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #131
Booch
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
I had a 2011 Durango V6 AWD. 7 speed, Pentastar engine, and I would get 27mpg on road trips and felt it had plenty of power when needed.
I've been in my 2014 Overland V6 for 9000k, now. It supposedly has the same engine but feels sluggish compared to the Durango, shifts hard into 3rd gear in ALL modes, and I've yet to get above 21.9mpg.

I get about 1.5 better mpg with Eco mode OFF. The first thing I do when I start it is press the Eco Button to turn it OFF.

It's going in the shop tomorrow for a few things, one of which is my complaints about the above. Hoping this TCM/DTCM flash fixes it.

I'll report back.
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #132
Wbeltran32
Registered User
2014  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Centreville, Va
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat70 View Post
I have a 2014 Limited as well, and I know what you mean about the ECO mode being sluggish. I click the shifter down again to put it in sport mode. Sport mode disengages the Eco, and raises the shift points. I haven't noticed if there is a setting yet to default to ECO off though.
Yup. Sport mode all day long!
Wbeltran32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #133
karlfevans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buzzards Breath, ID
Posts: 12
You know I simply cannot understand why nearly everyone wants an automatic transmission. Every board I visit has complaints about these damned transmissions.

I am getting depressed. I am trying to replace an old X5 with a 5 speed manual. I have zero issues shifting it or the performance- even after 13 years and 178,000 miles (original clutch).

Why can't we just have a manual transmission?
karlfevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #134
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlfevans View Post
You know I simply cannot understand why nearly everyone wants an automatic transmission. Every board I visit has complaints about these damned transmissions.

I am getting depressed. I am trying to replace an old X5 with a 5 speed manual. I have zero issues shifting it or the performance- even after 13 years and 178,000 miles (original clutch).

Why can't we just have a manual transmission?
Because automatic transmissions are faster at shifting, more economical, and a lot easier to drive?...
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #135
esimp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: , MA
Posts: 67
Well I'm with Karl. I would have paid up to $5000 premium to get a manual transmission. I learned to drive stick at age 14 with a beat 1982 Dodge Charger 2.2 my uncle let us kids drive in the back woods. I've been driving nothing but sticks since, for 26 years until.....this Feb with the Jeep. I married my wife because she, too, drove a manual (these things are important in a relationship).

I don't need electronic traction control. I need a clutch and my left foot and that's plenty of traction control.

For the first time ever. There is no car with a manual in our driveway.

Sad sad sad sad. I know this is a v6 thread and I'm a Hemi GC driver, but MAN would a stick plus the v8 in the JGC be a BLAST.

Driving is boredom (unless you are driving on VT 125 in Ripton, Vermont). Gimme something mechanical to DO at least if I'm stuck in the x and y axis.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.