2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #76
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post

Someone on the other forum is making a relay to turn the ECO to off with every start of the car.

Also someone in the same thread confirmed that the ECO button can be programmed to:
- default ON
- default OFF
- revert to the last setting

I wish Chrysler would officially allow to reprogram on customer request.

I currently have the Rev. B transmission update. Still not happy with the way the car behaves in ECO mode:
- car revs the engine close to 3k in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear unnecessarily after cold start when I am barely touching the gas... no way to get it ypshift earlier unless using paddles. It makes me worried seeing the oil pressure going to 100psi only a few seconds after the car starts. At least it goes this odd shift logic goes away after a few minutes of engine runnig/warming up.
- very hard occasional upshifts for a few first minutes with cold engine/transmission...
- hard downshifts when coming to a stop from around 30 mph
- hate how it keeps rpms bellow 2k (many times below 1.5k) till the possible second when I am already going uphill and pushing on gas trying to keep up with the traffic only to finally downshift several gears and spike the rpms to 4k...it is just crazy... why to have 8sp transmission that was supposed to make the gear changes smooth when the car keeps the 8th gear all the time in the city and then only downshift directly to 5th gear with huge jerks forward with almost every other modest acceleration

I hear there is already another transmission update, rev. C (maybe even D?) that should have some improvements on shifting when cold.
Rev C is a big improvement over rev B. It allows kickdowns a lot more easily than before and smooths everything out.

loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #77
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Well State Govts are creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner84 View Post
No loveracing, I'm not saying I'm against higher mileage vehicles. I'm saying the gov't is hurting itself in the short term by mandating it. And I put "should" in parentheses because that's where that tax revenue should go, but I don't trust that it all goes where it's supposed to.

And there wasn't a demand for high mileage vehicles before the 2000's. A gallon of gas was $1.40 then. Now at $4.00, ok inflation hasn't been that high. The demand then was more about power and performance.

And using trucks as an example? C'mon. Trucks were built to serve a purpose and getting high mpg wasn't it. Add I said, power and performance, which is what a truck still should be.

I'm sure the technology for higher mpg has been around for awhile and the auto industry jerked us around, but if everyone was so gung-ho about getting the most mileage on a tank, we'd all have bought a prius when they came out.
In VA they recently changed how they tax gas from a straight state gas tax to
a combination of a tax at the wholesale level and a sales tax. Loveracing 1988 I am not sure what pick ups are included in a manufacturers fleet average ie half tons are but 3/4 tons and up arent. Most SUVs and CUVS are included in the average. Again if buyers wanted more efficient trucks or cars they will stomp their Laboutin wearing feet until the manufacturers listen. We dont need the govt involved. The fleet average came about as a way of reducing are dependence of foreign oil ie oil in the Persian Gulf, Nigeria and Venezuela. Ooops since this stupid law was passed oil reserves have been found in and off the US and in Canada that are larger than what the Saudis have. We just need a rational plan to develop these reserves ie build Keystone and we wont need foreign oil. US could become a net exporter which would also increase tax revenues. And if you have concerns about the environment forget it according to I believe the Feb 2009 issue of R&T even if all the internal combustion vehicles in the US magically became EVs and or hybrids it have no effect on climate change. Billions of Chinese and Indians polluting to max out weighs anything 300+ million Americans do. Also making the lithium batteries for EVs does far more environmental damage along with the power plants to power them than millions of gas powered vehicles. You dont get anything for free and the pollution generated by the production of lIthium batteries is far more lethal than what comes out a car's exhaust. And when was the last time the average temp of this planet went up?
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #78
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Rev C is a big improvement over rev B. It allows kickdowns a lot more easily than before and smooths everything out.
Thanks, that is encouraging. Will try to stop at the dealer asap.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #79
atc1989
2014 WK 

Quote:
Someone on the other forum is making a relay to turn the ECO to off with every start of the car.

Also someone in the same thread confirmed that the ECO button can be programmed to:
- default ON
- default OFF
- revert to the last setting
Thanks for the info. Did this person actually reprogram the eco mode themselves?
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #80
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
Thanks for the info. Did this person actually reprogram the eco mode themselves?
I do not think so. If I remember correctly the person said he knows a Chrysler engineer who works directly at the factory and his job happens to be related to this kind of stuff. The engineer reprogrammed the ECO button for him using proprietary factory equipment/laptop.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #81
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Job Opening

Quote:
I do not think so. If I remember correctly the person said he knows a Chrysler engineer who works directly at the factory and his job happens to be related to this kind of stuff. The engineer reprogrammed the ECO button for him using proprietary factory equipment/laptop.
Might be a job opening soon for an engineer at Jeep if this isnt a union job.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #82
ironpeddler123

Take it to the dealer and tell them to install service bulletin 21-007-13 or the current version of it. This is a computer download from the Chrysler computer. It worked miracles on my early production 2014 Limited. The early production models had this problem. It works great now, but fuel economy does suffer. This is worth it just to have the Jeep run like a normal vehicle now.
ironpeddler123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #83
bostonjeepdude
2014 WK 

People are forgetting that the 2014 Jeep GC Laredo has a different transmission from the 2014 Jeep GC Limited. So we are not all on the same page when discussing the Eco mode issue.

I am an owner of a (September 2013 built) 2014 Jeep GC Laredo - the car is extremely sluggish in eco mode (shifting to 8th gear at about 37 MPH!).

We need a way to default Eco Mode to off.

I would also argue that there are other flaws with this transmission:

1. When braking, the transmission uses engine braking to slow the car down, which results in a lurching, rather than smooth, deceleration.
2. When reversing up hill, if you take your foot off the gas, the car begins to roll back down the hill (just like it would in a manual transmission vehicle with your foot on the clutch). This is the first automatic transmission car I've driven which does this, and I believe it's dangerous. I'd be willing to let this issue slide, but it seems like a defect to me.
bostonjeepdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #84
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonjeepdude View Post
People are forgetting that the 2014 Jeep GC Laredo has a different transmission from the 2014 Jeep GC Limited. So we are not all on the same page when discussing the Eco mode issue.
Both the Laredo and Limited V6 Grand Cherokees have the 8-Speed Automatic 845RE Transmission. I don't know how much time you've spent researching this, but a software update has helped many with shifting problems, even in eco mode. The latest was made available 12-18-'13. Also, just the push of a button changes the shift patterns. Here's the tsb for the update:
File Type: pdf Tsb_wk2_2100713c.pdf (114.0 KB, 119 views)
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #85
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

Both the Laredo and Limited V6 Grand Cherokees have the 8-Speed Automatic 845RE Transmission. I don't know how much time you've spent researching this, but a software update has helped many with shifting problems, even in eco mode. The latest was made available 12-18-'13. Also, just the push of a button changes the shift patterns. Here's the tsb for the update:
This, every v6 uses the same transmission, the hemi and diesel also use the same transmission.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #86
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
This, every v6 uses the same transmission, the hemi and diesel also use the same transmission.
It is technically the same 8-sp transmission, but it is made in Germany and has a different part number. The V6 tranny is built here under license and has some differences from the German made unit. It also seems the US built version has more quality control issues and early failures. V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #87
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post

It is technically the same 8-sp transmission, but it is made in Germany and has a different part number. The V6 tranny is built here under license and has some differences from the German made unit. It also seems the US built version has more quality control issues and early failures. V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF
The 845RE is based off the 8hp50 if I remember right, not the 8hp70.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #88
atc1989
2014 WK 

...so...anyone try anything to default eco to off yet?
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #89
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
...so...anyone try anything to default eco to off yet?
Why don't you wait until you get your jeep before trying to figure out a way to default eco mode off? For all you know it may drive fine for you. The rev c update really helped with the shifting and that will be the software you get. Everyone is trying to figure out some fancy way of wiring in relays and such to fix something that litterally takes 2 seconds to shut off, IF you choose to shut it off.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #90
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Why don't you wait until you get your jeep before trying to figure out a way to default eco mode off? For all you know it may drive fine for you. The rev c update really helped with the shifting and that will be the software you get. Everyone is trying to figure out some fancy way of wiring in relays and such to fix something that litterally takes 2 seconds to shut off, IF you choose to shut it off.
I agree. I have no issues with ECO mode in mine, and I enjoy the 20 MPG I average. If I need an extra kick, like when merging on to the expressway, a little flick of the shifter puts it into Sport mode. My son is an engine calibration engineer for Chrysler, and offered to reprogram my Jeep so ECO would default to OFF. I chose not to.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.