2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #61
Mwessman

Hope this helps

Okay, I hate it too. BUT, since I have had so many other issues with mine (Dashboard crashing & rattle...see other posts), during one of the software updates the ECO Mode changed. Before, I would have to turn it off to climb a hill. Now, I noticed it does not run as sluggish at first and it has a "hill climb" feature on the set up screen. I don't know if I have just got use to it or it has got better but I really think one of the software upgrades did it. The button still stays on but I never need to turn it off. But now I am having a high rpm on a cold start...not sure what that is. We are suppose to have a recall this month so I am sure I will have to take it in and find out about this issue.

Mwessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #62
atxmoses

Ditto.. I hate eco mode. There should be a way to default to off - I'm looking at you Jeep!
atxmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #63
atc1989
2014 WK 

Hey Guys,

I ordered my 14 GC Limited about a week ago and am waiting on its delivery.

I've been thinking about this eco-mode thing, and an "electronic way" to default it to "OFF". I want to try holding the eco button in continuously while I start the jeep. Maybe this will turn eco-mode off right away when the jeep starts. If this works, I'm sure I can wire something into the button that does this right when the eco-mode light turns on.

Since I don't have my Jeep yet, can someone try this? Maybe others have better ideas too? There are a lot of smart people on this forum, one of us has to be able to think of a way!

Thanks.
atc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #64
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
Hey Guys,

I ordered my 14 GC Limited about a week ago and am waiting on its delivery.

I've been thinking about this eco-mode thing, and an "electronic way" to default it to "OFF". I want to try holding the eco button in continuously while I start the jeep. Maybe this will turn eco-mode off right away when the jeep starts. If this works, I'm sure I can wire something into the button that does this right when the eco-mode light turns on.

Since I don't have my Jeep yet, can someone try this? Maybe others have better ideas too? There are a lot of smart people on this forum, one of us has to be able to think of a way!

Thanks.
Just wait until you drive it yourself. Don't let people on a forum dictate your view of your jeeo before you even take delivery of it. They just came out with a reflash for the transmission that smoothens out the shifts considerably. I have always driven in eco mode but the way it shifts now is perfect.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #65
Medpilot
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
I must have gotten lucky with my 2014 Limited. My Jeep is never sluggish when the eco light is on and if I turn it off, I don't notice much difference. I do however notice a big difference when I put in sport mode.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In eco, it drives acceptably. I'll through it into sport when I need a little more performance.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #66
atc1989
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. In eco, it drives acceptably. I'll through it into sport when I need a little more performance.
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll update on my thoughts once I get some miles under her.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #67
Frangeron

Thumbs down Gov't toilet!!!!

I'll compare the Economy mode to the government water conservation act.... You have to flush 3 times and use the same amount or more water for it to work... In economy mode if I need immediate acceleration I have to SLAM the accelerator and hold it on longer to get any sort of performance out of the transmission. My wife can't stand driving it and I told her screw the gas economy and just use SPORT mode at all times. I would much rather eat $1000 a year in fuel than have her risk injuring herself or others with the inadequate response from this transmission programming. Otherwise the other minor problems we've encountered are pale in comparison to the shifting. Other problems have included rear backup camera failed at 10k miles, constant "vehicle phone requires service" messages that come and go, several TSB's for the touchscreen radio and transmission. A recent recall for a Ground wire that was inadequately mounted for the Instrument cluster.... Believe me we are not going to take much more of this POS.... Other than listed complaints the visual and creature comforts are OUTSTANDING!!! I wish the computer engineering department would get overhauled though!!!
Frangeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #68
moleson10
2014 WK 

Mine is improving after 500 miles. I'm driving fairly aggressive to keep it from up-shifting too soon and it seems to be getting the message. They say that the tranny will "learn" your driving style. I think it may be true.

Floor it every once in a while to tell it who's boss.
moleson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #69
Steiner84
2014 WK 

I guess my GC has a learning disability then, because it never learned my driving style. I'm 12k miles in and I've given up on the eco mode. It's now habit for me to turn it off as soon as I get in the car. I only hope there's a way to keep it off in the future.
Steiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #70
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Jeep

Will never allow to have the default be Eco off. It cant if it hopes to meet the govt mandated fuel mileage standards. Its only going to get worse as auto makers strive to meet these artificial standards set by our govt. Govt shouldnt be mandating fuel economy standards and the marketplace should rule.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #71
atc1989
2014 WK 

Well, again, yet to actually take delivery, but I think there may be an electronic way of defaulting the eco to off.

Here are my thoughts.

- When you turn the Jeep on, the eco mode comes on and so does the eco mode indicator light on the button.
- Since the indicator light comes on at start, you could theoretically wire in a relay that triggers the button when the light comes on, thereby turning eco mode off.

Any other electrically minded folks see where I'm going with this? I'm sure some more thought is required.
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #72
Steiner84
2014 WK 

Dave, I agree that the market should determine. Honestly, the federal gov't is hurting both the state gov't and our infrastructure by requiring these standards. Higher mileage vehicles mean less gas tax to the state which (should) go towards improving infrastructure. Of course, they'll get around that by raising taxes like always, so we'll end up paying for it one way or another.

I haven't noticed much difference in mpg for eco mode vs. normal. <1 mpg I would guess. Maybe the way the vehicle is tested for those standards makes more difference. But if Chrysler is so close to failing CAFE that they need the extra 1 mpg from this vehicle to meet the average, then they need to take another look at the engineering dept.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #73
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner84 View Post
Higher mileage vehicles mean less gas tax to the state which (should) go towards improving infrastructure.
So you would prefer a vehicle that gets worse mileage just so the government will have more money? Boo freaking hoo. The state of michigan had a budget surplus last year, instead of reinvesting into some of the worst roads south of Alaska they are coming up with new and creative ways to blow it.
I would prefer the government stay out of things but I asked dave the same question before. From the 1940's until about 2000 how much did the fuel economy of trucks improve? With no government mandate telling them they have to get a certain mileage they showed zero improvement. It wasn't until the late 2000's that they started getting serious about fuel economy. The new F150 being all aluminum is because of the fuel economy standards, are you saying that's a bad thing?
I actually like driving in eco mode for normal everyday traffic because it actually utilizes all 8 gears. The times I have driven out of eco mode it doesn't shift into 8th until 55 or so mph on flat land, if there is a slight incline or gust of wind you can forget about using 8th gear. Maybe they have changed that with the updates, I'm not sure, I haven't driven it out of eco mode since the update.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #74
Steiner84
2014 WK 

No loveracing, I'm not saying I'm against higher mileage vehicles. I'm saying the gov't is hurting itself in the short term by mandating it. And I put "should" in parentheses because that's where that tax revenue should go, but I don't trust that it all goes where it's supposed to.

And there wasn't a demand for high mileage vehicles before the 2000's. A gallon of gas was $1.40 then. Now at $4.00, ok inflation hasn't been that high. The demand then was more about power and performance.

And using trucks as an example? C'mon. Trucks were built to serve a purpose and getting high mpg wasn't it. Add I said, power and performance, which is what a truck still should be.

I'm sure the technology for higher mpg has been around for awhile and the auto industry jerked us around, but if everyone was so gung-ho about getting the most mileage on a tank, we'd all have bought a prius when they came out.
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #75
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
Well, again, yet to actually take delivery, but I think there may be an electronic way of defaulting the eco to off.

Here are my thoughts.

- When you turn the Jeep on, the eco mode comes on and so does the eco mode indicator light on the button.
- Since the indicator light comes on at start, you could theoretically wire in a relay that triggers the button when the light comes on, thereby turning eco mode off.

Any other electrically minded folks see where I'm going with this? I'm sure some more thought is required.
Someone on the other forum is making a relay to turn the ECO to off with every start of the car.

Also someone in the same thread confirmed that the ECO button can be programmed to:
- default ON
- default OFF
- revert to the last setting

I wish Chrysler would officially allow to reprogram on customer request.

I currently have the Rev. B transmission update. Still not happy with the way the car behaves in ECO mode:
- car revs the engine close to 3k in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear unnecessarily after cold start when I am barely touching the gas... no way to get it upshift earlier unless using paddles. It makes me worried seeing the oil pressure going to 100psi only a few seconds after the car starts. At least this odd shift logic goes away after a few minutes of engine runnig/warming up.
- very hard occasional upshifts for a few first minutes with cold engine/transmission...
- hard downshifts when coming to a stop from around 30 mph
- hate how it keeps rpms bellow 2k (many times below 1.5k) till the possible second when I am already going uphill and pushing on gas pedal trying to keep up with the traffic only to finally downshift and skip several gears at once to spike the rpms to 4k...it is just crazy... why to have 8sp transmission that was supposed to make the gear changes smooth when the car keeps the 8th gear all the time in the city and then only downshift directly to 5th gear with huge jerks forward with almost every other modest acceleration

I hear there is already another transmission update, rev. C (maybe even D?) that should have some improvements on shifting when cold.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.