2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 11-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #46
oldmac1
2014 WK 

The TSB for the GC's built before 7/14/13 worked well for smoothness on mine with a noticeable drop in mileage. On mine I now have to use the paddle shifters to get into 8th gear on the Interstates and I cannot believe my eyes for the mileage difference it makes. I have installed a K&N air filter and it makes a big difference in performance on my V6 but never seemed to help my Hemi's when I had them. So now I can use ECO all the time with a lot better performance and really smooth shifts. This is my 15th Jeep and by far the smoothest shifting transmission of all of them since the TSB installation.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
kloubik
2014 WK 

@oldmac1: I have been thinking of installing a K&N filter. Do you use the drop in or CAI setup?
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #48
oldmac1
2014 WK 

Used a drop in. Something around 54$ that I payed for it. Made a big noticeable difference in how my runs (V6) and I waited until I had the Jeep for a little over a month and 2500 miles. I could tell as soon as I stepped on the gas and one had the same effect on my 2002 Liberty also. The Hemi's were not changed at all other than having not to buy air filters when dirty.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #49
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Did you continue to notice any butt dyno difference after the ECU had some time to learn, say after 500 miles? Most of the reports here and elsewhere say that, unless you want the sound, a CAI is a waste of $$ and will do more harm than good (they flow more mostly because they let more dirt through). It may worth the trouble if your production tolerances are on the margin. I think K&N filters are pretty well noted to be more snake oil now days than providing real gain. But your experience will vary.
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
loveracing1988

I put one in my wifes, it made a decent difference mileage wise. Power wise didn't really notice anything. We went from getting 20.5 to 20.9 to almost 22 average according to the evic. Real world we gained about .5 miles per gallon. Not bad for $39 or so on amazon.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
ironpeddler123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonjeepdude
Just got my new 2014 Jeep GC Laredo. My Jeep was built in late September 2013. I have noticed the following issues with the transmission: 1. ECO mode is simply terrible. Shifts to 8th gear at 35 MPH. I always manually turn it off now. As others have stated, there needs to be an option to default this to off. 2. When braking from 40MPH, it would be better if the transmission simply pushed in the clutch. Instead, the transmission stays in gear and downshifts. Instead of a smooth braking experience, the car lurches with every downshift. This is really bad. It's not possible to smoothly come to a stop - instead you lurch forward as the transmission tries to use engine braking for you. 3. Sometimes the transmission gets confused at low speeds (less than 20MPH), and you get stuck lurching back and forth as it tries to find a gear. Overall, great car, but the transmission sucks. If I could pay $5k and put in a better transmission I would. The problem seems to be that the software was horribly tested for real world usage. It's a shame - this car is perfect otherwise. If anyone hear's of more news about this, would be great to hear it. Thanks Matt

I couldn't agree more with your comments. I spent a lot of money for this Limited and will never like it until they change the Eco default situation. I bought a new Honda CR-V for my wife and the Eco button will stay on or off until pressed again. Much more user friendly. Transmission shifting is terrible, I Agree. It needs WORK.

Thanks,
Don
ironpeddler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #52
golfnut1

ECO on default

I am curious to know how we can convince the manufacturer to change the default to off. It is potentially dangerous when starting from a stopped position. I am an experienced driver but several times I have forgotten to switch the ECO to off and have over compensated for the sluggishness resulting in the vehicle lurching forward. I can envision a situation where an inexperienced driver might panic and run into something or someone.
golfnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #53
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Never Going to Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut1 View Post
I am curious to know how we can convince the manufacturer to change the default to off. It is potentially dangerous when starting from a stopped position. I am an experienced driver but several times I have forgotten to switch the ECO to off and have over compensated for the sluggishness resulting in the vehicle lurching forward. I can envision a situation where an inexperienced driver might panic and run into something or someone.
Unless CAFE goes bye bye. Eco mode is needed so that they reach their CAFE numbers and its only going to get worse. At least in my 2012 part of the problem is the drive by wire accelerator which isnt linear in its action.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #54
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
It is potentially dangerous when starting from a stopped position.
I 100% agree. I spend most of the time driving with ECO off because otherwise the car is too sluggish for a busy traffic where changing lanes and merging happens constantly in my area.

The other day I stopped for a minute to drop off something and shut down the engine. In a minute I hope back in, start the car which defaults ECO to ON again and I forget to switch it off. Then I proceed to merge on a highway not realizing that my car is crippled and I almost got into an accident. I was doing about 40 miles on the ramp, already in the 8th gear I need to accelerate but nothing happens, I push more on the gas pedal and nothing still happens. The car still stays in 8th gear. I panic suddenly realizing I am in the ECO mode, floor it and barely made it.

I have been considering filing a complain to NHTSA. Does anyone know if an individual can do it? I paid for a 300hp V6 that should drive accordingly. It is unacceptable that the car defaults to a 4-cylinder 170hp like mode with every start.

edit: as mentioned above the behavior where the car is super sluggish and then suddenly downshifts skipping several gear and lurching forward is also potentially dangerous and it is definitely killing any comfort that the normally very smooth 8-speed transmission provides.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #55
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
There have been folks complaining about eco mode defaults for 5-6 years now. Also why can't we set it to sport mode and forget it? But I don't think Jeep can do anything about the default given the EPA, our government fuel economy pressure on them, and the V6's weak knees. They need every 0.1% they can get. I suspect that if the default is off, they can't claim the eco mode fuel economy.

There may be some hope as Jeep did change both the V8 and V6 transmission programing after numerous complaints. Took them ~2 years, so perhaps if the complaints keep rolling in they will make some adjustments.

A pain, I know, just going to have to be more patient or attentive drivers... or swap for a V8/diesel where a downshift is not needed for spirited acceleration . Experienced drivers sometimes need to learn new driving styles. I'm surprised you missed this behavior in your test drive, as the sluggishness should have been kinda obvious. Personally I have not driven an auto box since the 70s, regardless of make or model, that was not hamstrung by eco gearing during some situations like your example.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #56
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There have been folks complaining about eco mode defaults for 5-6 years now. Also why can't we set it to sport mode and forget it? But I don't think Jeep can do anything about the default given the EPA, our government fuel economy pressure on them, and the V6's weak knees. They need every 0.1% they can get. I suspect that if the default is off, they can't claim the eco mode fuel economy.

There may be some hope as Jeep did change both the V8 and V6 transmission programing after numerous complaints. Took them ~2 years, so perhaps if the complaints keep rolling in they will make some adjustments.

A pain, I know, just going to have to be more patient or attentive drivers... or swap for a V8/diesel where a downshift is not needed for spirited acceleration . Experienced drivers sometimes need to learn new driving styles. I'm surprised you missed this behavior in your test drive, as the sluggishness should have been kinda obvious. Personally I have not driven an auto box since the 70s, regardless of make or model, that was not hamstrung by eco gearing during some situations like your example.
Same as Coldcase I had not owned or driven auto box since Aug 78. I would have preferred a 6spd manual with the V6. I have learned with 2012 in Eco mode how to drive around the gas pedal issues and the trannie issues. I know where the sweet spot is on the loud pedal. The accelerator is not linear since its drive by wire.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #57
golfnut1

eco on default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I'm surprised you missed this behavior in your test drive, as the sluggishness should have been kinda obvious. Personally I have not driven an auto box since the 70s, regardless of make or model, that was not hamstrung by eco gearing during some situations like your example.
I believe I would have picked up on it had I test driven the vehicle. Unfortunately my equipment people order multiple vehicles and don't necessarily test drive them. I have since changed the purchasing program to include testing the vehicles. There is a positive side to this.....I never have to worry about my wife or kids driving the vehicle. She refuses to drive it and won't let my 17 year old drive it either. LOL
golfnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #58
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I must have gotten lucky with my 2014 Limited. My Jeep is never sluggish when the eco light is on and if I turn it off, I don't notice much difference. I do however notice a big difference when I put in sport mode.
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #59
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

I have a rather late production limited, and while I am not real crazy about Eco defaulting on, it's nothing my foot cannot correct when needed. I have gotten used to turning off traction control in various autos I have owned over the years, so turning it off is not a great inconvenience. A good tuner may be able to discover a work around.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #60
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

I have a late production limited, and I have gotten used to turning off the traction control in various autos I have owned over the years. The Eco mode defaulting on is a little inconvenient, but not a deal breaker for me. Most of the time I hit the switch right after starting the vehicle. When I forget, my right foot can make whatever adjustment is needed till I reach over and turn it off. I am sure a good tuner can probably find a good work around in the programming.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.