2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
People seem to have very odd expectations for a fuel economy mode on an 8 speed SUV
I think you got it wrong. People do not mind the ECO mode itself. I am not happy with a 5000 lbs car that defaults to a ECO mode and behaves like a 150hp 4 cylinder with every single start. I paid 40k to get a 300hp V6.

kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #32
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post

I just got the flash too but I like it. Not nearly as big of a "hump" when accelerating from a dead stop and I don't see any noticeable mileage difference. Mine still seems to hold 8th gear at any speed once I stay at a constant speed for a short amount of time, but that's exactly what I expect it to do with economy mode.

People seem to have very odd expectations for a fuel economy mode on an 8 speed SUV
The 4 previous tanks of gas before the flash average mpg of 21.5 give or take a couple tenths. First tank after the flash she is averaging 19 to 19.5. That is a big mileage penalty. I think it has a lot to do with what kind of driving you do. She does a decent amount of city driving but most of it is cruise set at 45 to 50 mph. Before the flash it would stay in 8th gear pretty much all the time while cruising. Now it is staying in 6th or 7th until you use the paddle shifter to manually set it to 8th gear.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post

I think you got it wrong. People do not mind the ECO mode itself. I am not happy with a 5000 lbs car that defaults to a ECO mode and behaves like a 150hp 4 cylinder with every single start. I paid 40k to get a 300hp V6.
Then take it out of eco mode every time you start it, it is the same thing as putting a vehicle in tow haul mode when you pull a trailer. It isn't that hard to do. If you have had the flash done and still don't like it then that is what you are going to have to do anyways because they aren't going to change the default anytime soon. I still wish my truck had a eco mode so I could get a little better mileage out of that, but that is just wishful thinking.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What you guys don't understand is that harder shift is NOT a bad thing. Harder shifting means less clutch or torque converter slippage which in turn is less wasted energy, less heat, less clutch wear. It's a win win. Have you guys ever driven an old mechanical automatic transmission car(pre 1990). You didn't even feel the shifts. Did you also notice the fuel economy difference between an automatic and manual version of a car, That gap in fuel economy is disappearing due to 2 things, harder and faster shifts, and torque converter clutches that engage in EVERY gear. Minivan drivers hated the 6 speed when it first came out in the vans. But they got used to it. The bottom line is fuel economy. If you want horsepower go with the Hemi, if you want fuel economy go with the gas or diesel V6. Personally I would go with the Hemi. After they break in you can get 22mpg on the highway is easy, especially with the 8 speed.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

By the way.....ANY Hemi vehicle will get horseSH*T mileage the first 5000 miles. Once that sucker is broken in tho. 22mpg going 80 on the interstate from NODAK to Colorado in a Durango.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #36
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMech View Post
By the way.....ANY Hemi vehicle will get horseSH*T mileage the first 5000 miles. Once that sucker is broken in tho. 22mpg going 80 on the interstate from NODAK to Colorado in a Durango.
I sure hope so. My truck gets 16 mpg mostly highway, and it has 2200 miles on it. My last tank was 15 mpg, which is what it is rated for in the city!
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
Angelsmoon

So glad I found this forum!!! This is my first Jeep and I thought I bought a DUD! Sometimes I press down on the accelerator and it feels like the transmission is "slipping" or something. I like my car so I suffer through the sluggishness when driving around town, but I definitely turn off the ECO mode when I am on a road trip.
Angelsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
68camaro

Eco button stinks in general, but on recent 1500 mile rountrip most all highway i averaged over 25 mpg with eco on. Eco on highway is fine, even in city OK. Problems is in burbs, so I turn eco off when in suburbs. However, when merging in traffic on highway I also turn off.

In general its a PITA, but I love my Overland so I'll suffer happily
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
golfnut1

I find the eco on mode to be precarious when parallel parking. Backing in is ok but when I shift to drive and press the accelerator the car will sometimes downshift and lurch forward. Pretty tricky. My wife refuses to drive it.
golfnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #40
phatasswk
2014 WK 

There seems to be an abundance of spouses disassociating with these death traps... You're the third person I've heard say this today about their wife and their '14 WK. Mine declared the first (and last) time the 'crash avoidance' system brought her to a screeching halt for no good reason that she will never drive it again.

I enjoyed last night around 11pm in bumsville nowhere when my keyfob fell off the area above my steering column where I have to stash it in order to get my Summit to start, bringing me to a rolling stop because the engine died, then wouldn't restart.

Buyback is allegedly being offered this week... Like a 'cash back in my hand' sort of buyback, so I can go get something else altogether by another manufacturer even. This can't come soon enough- if I let my guard down with this thing one bit, it can kill me.
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #41
bostonjeepdude
2014 WK 

Just got my new 2014 Jeep GC Laredo. My Jeep was built in late September 2013. I have noticed the following issues with the transmission:

1. ECO mode is simply terrible. Shifts to 8th gear at 35 MPH. I always manually turn it off now. As others have stated, there needs to be an option to default this to off.
2. When braking from 40MPH, it would be better if the transmission simply pushed in the clutch. Instead, the transmission stays in gear and downshifts. Instead of a smooth braking experience, the car lurches with every downshift. This is really bad. It's not possible to smoothly come to a stop - instead you lurch forward as the transmission tries to use engine braking for you.
3. Sometimes the transmission gets confused at low speeds (less than 20MPH), and you get stuck lurching back and forth as it tries to find a gear.

Overall, great car, but the transmission sucks. If I could pay $5k and put in a better transmission I would. The problem seems to be that the software was horribly tested for real world usage. It's a shame - this car is perfect otherwise. If anyone hear's of more news about this, would be great to hear it.

Thanks
Matt
bostonjeepdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #42
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonjeepdude View Post
Just got my new 2014 Jeep GC Laredo. My Jeep was built in late September 2013. I have noticed the following issues with the transmission:

1. ECO mode is simply terrible. Shifts to 8th gear at 35 MPH. I always manually turn it off now. As others have stated, there needs to be an option to default this to off.
2. When braking from 40MPH, it would be better if the transmission simply pushed in the clutch. Instead, the transmission stays in gear and downshifts. Instead of a smooth braking experience, the car lurches with every downshift. This is really bad. It's not possible to smoothly come to a stop - instead you lurch forward as the transmission tries to use engine braking for you.
3. Sometimes the transmission gets confused at low speeds (less than 20MPH), and you get stuck lurching back and forth as it tries to find a gear.

Overall, great car, but the transmission sucks. If I could pay $5k and put in a better transmission I would. The problem seems to be that the software was horribly tested for real world usage. It's a shame - this car is perfect otherwise. If anyone hear's of more news about this, would be great to hear it.

Thanks
Matt
How many miles do you have on it? It takes a while for it to learn your driving style.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #43
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Even still, the ones I have test driven don't do that. So either it is still learning you, or that is your driving style
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #44
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Even still, the ones I have test driven don't do that. So either it is still learning you, or that is your driving style
It seems to be hit or miss, either you have it or you dont. Possibly if they were full inspection models and they were driven really hard or really easy? Either way it does seem to work itself out. We always drive with eco mode on and have zero issues.
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad we got our 2012. But even after reading this thread, I'd buy a 2014 in a heartbeat, if I had the money. Seems like a good setup to save gas/cash, and after driving another style/brand that had an ECO mode, I liked it. Admittedly, it didn't default to on, and when it was on, it's behavior was similar to that described here. But I turned it on regularly to get the extra range.

At least so far, cars still allow you to turn ECO off. Give it a bit. If things don't change, we'll probably lose that "privilege."
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.