JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/2014-v6-eco-mode-how-default-off-1489259/)

kirk1233 03-06-2013 06:22 PM

2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!?

Is there a way to default Eco mode to off? I have to push the Eco button to turn it off every time I turn the Jeep on. Eco makes it drive like crap and doesn't even shave much fuel economy. Please tell me there is a way to default it to off. Could not find anything in the manual or the settings screen...

Justal13 03-08-2013 01:58 PM

On the V6, the Eco display is just a message telling you that you are driving (pushing on the gas pedal) in a fashion to allow for optional mpg for your GC.

Turning off the Eco display has no effect on how the GC operates, does not change a thing on the V6. It does not change the operation of the engine, transmission or anything else.

kirk1233 03-08-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 15101593)
On the V6, the Eco display is just a message telling you that you are driving (pushing on the gas pedal) in a fashion to allow for optional mpg for your GC.

Turning off the Eco display has no effect on how the GC operates, does not change a thing on the V6. It does not change the operation of the engine, transmission or anything else.

That may be the case for pre-2014 models; however, turning the Eco button off on my 2014 makes a big difference...

Justal13 03-08-2013 02:11 PM

You are correct, sorry I did not notice you have a 2014. Big difference.
It appears using the center stack button is your only option for on/off:

2014 Fuel Economy (ECO) Mode - V6 Operation
The Fuel Economy (ECO) mode can improve the vehicle’s
overall fuel economy during normal driving conditions.
Press the “eco” switch in the center stack of the
instrument panel and a green light will indicate the ECO
mode is engaged.
When the Fuel Economy (ECO) Mode is engaged, the
vehicle control systems will change the following:
• The transmission will upshift sooner and downshift
later.
• The torque converter clutch may engage at lower
engine speeds and remain on longer.
• The engine idle speed will be lower.
• The overall driving performance will be more
conservative.
• Some ECO mode functions may be temporarily inhibited
based on temperature and other factors.

dreaves1806 05-02-2013 12:48 PM

Just purchased 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with V6. I have been driving the vehicle for less than 1 week and I am extremely frustrated with the Eco Feature when starting from a dead stop. Once in 4th gear or so, it shifts to 8th gear without me noticing. But from 1st to 4th, the Jeep is extremently sluggish.

Turning the Eco feature off (every time I start the vehicle), works well from 1st to 4th, but then the transmission seems to stay in 5th or 6th gear.

1. Can the shift points be adjusted... especially 1st through 4th gears?
2. Can the Eco feature be set to default to off instead of on?

Other than the previous post, I find it hard to believe no one else is complaining about this. I hope Jeep will offer a solution.

Stratcat70 05-02-2013 06:59 PM

Sport mode

I have a 2014 Limited as well, and I know what you mean about the ECO mode being sluggish. I click the shifter down again to put it in sport mode. Sport mode disengages the Eco, and raises the shift points. I haven't noticed if there is a setting yet to default to ECO off though.

loveracing1988 05-03-2013 12:25 AM

There is no setting to default eco mode off. They might come out with a revised programming for the transmission to modify the way it is out of eco mode but I'm guessing eco mode will always stay the same. I know what you mean though about it not shifting, I have driven out of eco mode once and I had to drive 55 mph to get it to shift into 8th gear.

Dave2002ti 05-03-2013 09:07 AM

Get Used to it

Its only going to get worse as auto makers are required to meet stricter and stricter mileage and emission standards. Having a default defeats the purpose of the govt requirements since our govt knows best and you are too stupid to decide when your vehicle needs shift or not.

I am becoming friends with the drive by wire in my 2012 GC. Its been a rocky relationship. Shame things jsut werent mor linear.

Lets hope some day soon we ahve a rational energy policy in this country.

dsinger 05-26-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreaves1806 (Post 15379354)
Just purchased 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with V6. I have been driving the vehicle for less than 1 week and I am extremely frustrated with the Eco Feature when starting from a dead stop. Once in 4th gear or so, it shifts to 8th gear without me noticing. But from 1st to 4th, the Jeep is extremently sluggish.

Turning the Eco feature off (every time I start the vehicle), works well from 1st to 4th, but then the transmission seems to stay in 5th or 6th gear.

1. Can the shift points be adjusted... especially 1st through 4th gears?
2. Can the Eco feature be set to default to off instead of on?

Other than the previous post, I find it hard to believe no one else is complaining about this. I hope Jeep will offer a solution.

I have a 2014 GC as well, and am also surprised that there aren't more complaints about this problem. This is my first Jeep and I am horribly unsatisfied. I've taken it to the dealer and all they say is that they cant "default eco mode off" and all I can do is wait for Chrysler to come out with a software update. I know it is still early, but is there any after-market chips that you can buy to alleviate this problem.

In my opinion they the gear timing in "eco mode off" and "sport mode" is incorrect as well. I think the main problem in these modes is the lag between gears, making a jerky ride. As well, in these modes, especially "sport mode", you have harder downshifts.

Please keep an update if anyone figures out how to solve this problem.

moodyman 05-27-2013 07:41 AM

Found this in the manual. Any one still feel the shift point are "off" after a 1,000 miles??

The electronically-controlled transmission provides a
precise shift schedule. The transmission electronics are
self-calibrating; therefore, the first few shifts on a new
vehicle may be somewhat abrupt. This is a normal
condition, and precision shifts will develop within a few
hundred miles (kilometers).

dsinger 05-27-2013 08:43 AM

I have over 2000 (about 2300) miles and I still feel gears shifts.

NorthCountyGuy 05-28-2013 02:17 PM

Yipes

wengerlaw 07-16-2013 11:17 AM

I have a little over 1,000 miles on my GC Overland and just figured out that switching off Eco Mode makes shifting much smoother and the vehicle responds much better to quick acceleration. I would occassionally shift into Sport (i.e. when I'm first at a stoplight), but in everyday traffic that mode is a little too aggressive. Turning off Eco makes things just right. It's a bit of a pain to hit the button each time you start up, but not as big a pain as the jerky shifts and slow response in Eco mode. I previously had a 2003 Liberty that seemed to have more pep, so I was starting to get frustrated with the GC. I'm now a happy camper.

loveracing1988 07-16-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wengerlaw (Post 15683132)
I have a little over 1,000 miles on my GC Overland and just figured out that switching off Eco Mode makes shifting much smoother and the vehicle responds much better to quick acceleration. I would occassionally shift into Sport (i.e. when I'm first at a stoplight), but in everyday traffic that mode is a little too aggressive. Turning off Eco makes things just right. It's a bit of a pain to hit the button each time you start up, but not as big a pain as the jerky shifts and slow response in Eco mode. I previously had a 2003 Liberty that seemed to have more pep, so I was starting to get frustrated with the GC. I'm now a happy camper.

We have had zero issues with the Eco Mode in my wife's. I actually wish my truck had it so it would shift a little sooner.

SDM 08-16-2013 09:41 PM

11,000 miles and my 2014 Laredo still has a frustrating sluggish shift in ECO.

The time now is 10:46 PM.