2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #46
jimboteque1
2014 WK 

Couldn't agree more. In the end all that's important is that you're happy with the jeep you get and are comfortable with the cost of it.

jimboteque1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #47
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Here is Chrysler's response (1 day, not bad) to my email which detailed the problems. Could not send the pictures with their email submission form so I have used the reply link they gave at the end of the email asking them to give me an email address to send the pics to...you never know....

On Oct 11, 2013, at 2:19 PM, customerassist <customerassist@chrysler.com> wrote:

> Dear Wayne:
>
> Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.
>
> We appreciate the time and effort you took to tell us of your
> dissatisfaction in our product. Comments like yours are one way to learn
> of problems that develop and the improvements desired. We have
> documented your comments and will provide them to our product
> development team for review.
>
> Unfortunately, given the many variables involved, we are unable to
> diagnose this vehicle's problem via email and as such rely on our
> dealership network to review the concerns.
>
> We hope that this one vehicle experience does not cause you to misjudge
> our products.
>
> Thanks again for your email.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steve
>
> Customer Service Representative
> Jeep Customer Assistance Center
>
> For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
> following information:
> REFERENCE NUMBER: 24060779
> EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2884454
> REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_f...955V15520L0KM&
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #48
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Sounds like thanks for the email take it up with the dealership.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Sounds like thanks for the email take it up with the dealership.
Ya, I hear you. Probably right. The problem as I see it is twofold.

First, the reality is that most buyers either accept the vehicle because they either see the flaws and really don't care too much (lease, won't keep forever, not picky) or never knew to look, or just didn't or didn't find the flaws until after delivery (probably the majority of the vocal buyers on this forum). The point being this makes most deliveries from an initial quality perspective look within guidelines to corporate.

Second, are the buyers like me who reject delivery (VERY small % I am guessing) and those who accept but force it into the shop early on to address the problems. In my case, the dealer wrote me off as a picky putz (they're right but IT'S MY $50K!) and I guarantee they will feed zero back to Chrysler/Jeep and sell it very soon to one of the first types I mentioned above. The point being that corporate sees this VIN as "produced, delivered, sold, no problems.." This is why I am making my feeble feedback attempt. Well, actually I'll take a $500 or $1000 "please don't give up on us" coupon and go happily away. Regarding those who accept delivery and handle the problems via warranty I have to believe on a percentage basis corporate sequences the most recurring, costly issues first, etc...

I am just not sure how much automakers have adopted the TQM/Sig Sigma quality model that focuses on attacking defects at the point of defect introduction so it doesn't degrade everything that follows versus using the good old "where are we wasting money in warranty repairs?" approach which produces what we are seeing.

I'll send JeepCares (Chrysler Customer Care on this forum) a PM to this thread for a chime in...hmm

Add to the above the fact that the JGC is pretty hot and selling well and you get inaction from our point of view from corporate.

just sayin...

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-13-2013 at 08:40 AM..
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
14summithemi
2014 WK 

And here is Chrysler Customer Care's response to my request to get photos to them:

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM, customerassist <customerassist@chrysler.com> wrote:
Dear Wayne:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

We regret that our email system is not designed to accept attachments to
incoming emails. We do regret the vehicle conditions and would
encourage you to continue to work with the dealership to locate a
vehicle that meets your needs and is in a condition that is acceptable
for delivery.

Thanks again for your email.

blah, blah, blah...

I know it's fruitless but I sent a reply acknowledging that their channel probably won't allow attachments but IF THEY WANTED they could hook me up with the proper team member who can accept them....I'm a persistent little bugger!
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #51
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Certainly a risk, but then again I am a risk taker

Just hoping for the best. I'll make the call down there if there are problems between accepting and dealing with it or catching the greyhound or one-way air back. Frontier has cheap flights back just don't know on short notice.

There are bigger problems in life ya know! This is small potatoes.

Oh, we dedicated JGC'ers!
Yeah, that was my point in asking. But you're right, much bigger problems in life to worry about. Good luck with this next one.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #52
JeepCares

Quote:

I'll send JeepCares (Chrysler Customer Care on this forum) a PM to this thread for a chime in...hmm
What, exactly, would you like me to comment on?

Rejecting delivery? - I've mentioned before on the forum people should look over the vehicle carefully before they take delivery.

"Corporate" quality issues? - The car should be within specifications and operating as designed.
"Dealer" pre-delivery issues? - Granted, ideally, the vehicle should not need anything done to it, but we do pay the dealer to "check the vehicle over" before they deliver the vehicle. Any work needed, such as warranty and transportation claims, is covered.

Buying a vehicle from an out-of town dealer? - I hope it works out for you.

Our webform/email system not accepting photos? Not sure if it's the software itself or a decision by IT or another department not to allow any attachments.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #53
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
What, exactly, would you like me to comment on?

Rejecting delivery? - I've mentioned before on the forum people should look over the vehicle carefully before they take delivery.

"Corporate" quality issues? - The car should be within specifications and operating as designed.
"Dealer" pre-delivery issues? - Granted, ideally, the vehicle should not need anything done to it, but we do pay the dealer to "check the vehicle over" before they deliver the vehicle. Any work needed, such as warranty and transportation claims, is covered.

Buying a vehicle from an out-of town dealer? - I hope it works out for you.

Our webform/email system not accepting photos? Not sure if it's the software itself or a decision by IT or another department not to allow any attachments.
First, before I express disappointment with your response I want to say thanks for even being on the forum and assisting us where you can. I know Jeep cares about customers, etc...

My point is that I do not think my experience (or most JGC'ers who "notice" things) is or should be "within specifications" or "as designed". I get the impression that while Jeep cares about solving identified problems they are not very interested in finding out why they are happening and stopping them before they happen. Is my paint flaw "within specifications"? What about the many, many others on this forum with all the "grains/dirt" under their paint? Sounds like a dirty spray robot or sub-optimal body prep to me. Then there's the end of job (paint) or end of line quality control. Why is this getting missed? Or, why is it being seen and getting passed? Is jamming the fog lights in really "within specifications"? What about the door seals? Etc...Net, net I (and I am quite sure many other forum folks) feel things just are not as 'tight" as they can/should be for a $50K+ car. Maybe the issue is that the avg JGC goes for low $30k's (just a WAG) and the line and QC are targeted at that price point and buyer and not the $40k and up market which on average I am thinking is a little pickier and the competition stiffer. Don't know, just ramblin' with my flubberstration.

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-14-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #54
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

As with any car company, dealer complaints to corporate get much more attention than consumer complaints (unless they are against a dealer). Some get more attention than others. Corporate thinks buyer complaints coming directly into corporate are the dealer network not doing their job. They usually flow down to the servicing dealer first, often corporate chastising them for poor service. But buyers complaining to the dealer (or rejecting cars) and subsequently the dealers complaining to corporate gets more corporate attention. Corporate depends on their dealer to screen out nuisances from real problems, dealers have feet on the ground more or less. There are always running changes that improve or change the product, and if it gets through factory QC and onto the dealer hands they are suppose to catch it.. but its a human driven system with a bit more business motivated complexity.

So trying to short circuit the system by directly complaining to corporate can be frustrating for the consumer. IMHO, the volume of forum complaints is a gnat's eyelash compare to the number of vehicles coming off the line.
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #55
JeepCares

Quote:
I get the impression that while Jeep cares about solving identified problems they are not very interested in finding out why they are happening and stopping them before they happen. Is my paint flaw "within specifications"? What about the many, many others on this forum with all the "grains/dirt" under their paint? Sounds like a dirty spray robot or sub-optimal body prep to me. Then there's the end of job (paint) or end of line quality control. Why is this getting missed? Or, why is it being seen and getting passed? Is jamming the fog lights in really "within specifications"? What about the door seals?
Actually, good questions. I really can't answer the questions from the plant perspective (it's been a long, long time since I worked in a plant.) Well, actually I can. I don't think the door seals should be "rolled"." The cause could be anything from improperly made parts to operator error. I don't know why this stuff isn't getting caught at their level. There are audits for quality done that are supposed to keep the quality processes in check. I think the assembly person has to "check off" their work on a computer, but I don't know for sure. If there's an issue, it's supposed to be noted so it gets fixed.

As for how it should work, the dealer would "fix" the issue and submit a warranty claim. The number/cost of those claims should raise a flag and there is someone that will have to explain why and what can be done to resolve the issue. In order to fix it, the root cause has to be discovered. I'm not making excuses for the plant or quality there. What I'm trying to explain is that we do have another set of eyes (dealer), besides the plant, that is supposed to look over the vehicle and catch what was missed.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #56
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi
I appreciate your "help". Why do people like you bother posting? Negative "nellies" should have their own forum to blast each other. I DID research the 5.7l Hemi as it has been around awhile and thankfully they have fixed this problem since you purchased your vehicle 3+ years ago. They have redesigned the oil pan/windage tray to stop splashing excessive oil at the PCV valve area. As you can see from my post I tacitly show everyone that I have done research. I even researched every TSB and not one officially applies to a 2014 Summit 5.7l 4WD built 8/31/13+ in the US.
FYI

"NUMBER: 09-002-13
SUBJECT:
Blue Smoke From Exhaust On Initial Start-up When Parked Facing Uphill On An Incline
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software and installing a revised engine oil pan.
MODELS:
2011 - 2014 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011 - 2014 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZH) built on or before October 1, 2013 (MDH 1001XX)."
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #57
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
FYI

"NUMBER: 09-002-13
SUBJECT:
Blue Smoke From Exhaust On Initial Start-up When Parked Facing Uphill On An Incline
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software and installing a revised engine oil pan.
MODELS:
2011 - 2014 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011 - 2014 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZH) built on or before October 1, 2013 (MDH 1001XX)."
Thank you! My post you quoted was made 10/2/13 and this TSB you posted was published 7 days LATER on 10/9/13. However, the vehicle I ordered and accepted was manufactured 11/6 and I have had no blue smoke issues.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #58
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

I also have a 2014 HEMI summit. After some initial headaches, the dealership has fixed all but one gremlin out of my summit. I'm not pleased with the passenger side rear fender flare fitting. Besides that, I'm good to go with the vehicle. I love the power, ride quality and stereo in my summit.
Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #59
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Ours was not 100% issue free. We had slightly rolled window seals too but on ours anyway, if you just ran your finger nail or something blunt down between it and the trim it flipped right back out.

The other could have been a bigger deal had we not caught it early. It developed a slight rattle that sounded like a loose catalytic converter shield. Turns out, the post-cat O2 sensor was loose. It hadn't fallen out yet, but definitely would have had it gone ignored. That one bothered me more because it's a critical component and the only reason it was loose is because some slack jawed fool on the production line overlooked it or didn't tighten it fully.

The issues the OP posted, yeah, I would have rejected it as well for what these cost.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #60
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I read about all the problems others are having and I'm wondering if my Grand Cherokee was built at the very beginning of production and the early ones were checked out better. Mine has a Jan 13 build date and it is perfect inside and out. The V6 runs great and I have never found a need to turn off the ECO mode. No flaws in the paint, no moisture in the headlights, and all moldings fit perfect. Probably need to hang onto this one for awhile.
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.