2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Bob WK2....yep, all over the tailgate thing. 1st thing I'm gonna check. If it's misaligned, I'm not taking delivery, period. Heard a couple grumbles about steering centering, will add to my test drive list. I also heard about the shakes but it is only at 70mph+ or so which I can't very well say anything about but we'll see. Don't wanna drive it that speed during break-in anyway.

14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
1quick1
2014 WK 

I'm with you on the break in. We were getting ready to do the paperwork on one and I asked the guy how many miles on the ODO and it had like 53. I was like no dice. Told him it may sound crazy but I want a BRAND NEW vehicle, not one test driven 10x. Found one with 5 miles on it. I was okay with that.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (current vehicle)
32'' BFG KM's 255/75/17's on stock Laredo wheels
1quick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Break in is not as much a deal as it was 20-40 years ago. Its more or less an old wives tale left over from the day when you also had to change oil every 3000 miles. Old habits that no longer make sense and traditions die hard, however.

All new vehicles are driven off the assembly line and then onto a train and then off the train to the trailer and off the trailer to the dealers lot mostly by skilled drivers in a hurry. No warm up, just start and stab the throttle. Many get shuffled from storage lot to storage lot. My brand new WK2 had 50 miles on it before it ever got to the dealer. Not jeep, but some high valued cars are extensively test driven for quality control prior to delivery.

The concept of zero miles as a brand new vehicle is old school, but some here take much comfort in it. Today with the more precise manufacturing, driving like you stole it from day one does not affect vehicle life more than taking it easy the first month.

Now you may also find one on the lot that's been test driven a bunch.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
bmoney12
2014 WK 

My GC had 176 miles on it when I bought it which I consider a lot for a new car but I didn't care enough for it to stop me from making the purchase. I don't usually pay attention to the break in period anyway. I drove my C63 pretty hard from day one. 20k miles later no issues. Then again I don't keep my cars longer than 2 years so long term reliability might be a different story! There are definitely some car enthusiasts that swear by hard break ins.

Last edited by bmoney12; 10-03-2013 at 09:45 PM..
bmoney12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
1quick1
2014 WK 

Yea I'm sure it's not that big of a deal these days and if it was the manual would have more than a small, 6 sentence paraghraph discussing it. I just got with the keeping changing it up and also give it a good flooring from time to time. Other than that nothing crazy I did. It had 50 city miles on it when I took it 400 miles to, through and from Rocky Mountain National Park. The mountain freeways kept the engine spinning at different RPM's and fluctuating speeds enough where I felt fine with it.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (current vehicle)
32'' BFG KM's 255/75/17's on stock Laredo wheels
1quick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

FYI - my 2013 had 6 miles on it when I bought it. Build date was Nov. 2012, purchase date off the dealer's lot was 1/6/13. If I saw high(ish) miles on a supposedly, 'new', vehicle, I'd definitely want some answers before I closed the deal! Just sayin' ...

Rob
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
I appreciate your "help". Why do people like you bother posting?

Negative "nellies" should have their own forum to blast each other.

I DID research the 5.7l Hemi as it has been around awhile and thankfully they have fixed this problem since you purchased your vehicle 3+ years ago. They have redesigned the oil pan/windage tray to stop splashing excessive oil at the PCV valve area.

As you can see from my post I tacitly show everyone that I have done research. I even researched every TSB and not one officially applies to a 2014 Summit 5.7l 4WD built 8/31/13+ in the US.
That's just someone jealous that your getting a new summit. I would check to make sure the air suspension goes to all the positions and I would take it for a drive just to make sure everything feels good.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145
That's just someone jealous that your getting a new summit. I would check to make sure the air suspension goes to all the positions and I would take it for a drive just to make sure everything feels good.
Jealous, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I assumed a forum that breaks it down by models and has a search function would make it easy for one to do research if given the key words. I guess not, once again sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi
For example, I cannot see in the manuals where there is a cabin air filter. Is there one? I cannot believe there isn't one. My 2002 GC Limited had a spot for one but did not come from factory with one (unbelievable) and I did not notice it in the manual until all kinds of crap had already polluted the air ducts and nestled down in the a/c coils. I see that the 2014 has an "air conditioner filter" so maybe this is it?
FYI, the owners manual covers everything about the cabin filter (air conditioner filter). Has the removal procedure and pIctures.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
baseball95
1979 CJ7 

2014 Overland

Hope your dealer service experience is better than what I have had with my 2014 Overland with Hemi, Black w/ Indigo. Lots of "never heard of this" when explaining ongoing electrical glitches to 3 different dealer service departments (that are well documented by others posting to this forum). Enhancement and software upgrades did nothing.
Possibly your post 8/31 build date will make a difference.
Wheel balance was only noticeable issue upon taking delivery with 5 miles on it.
Great vehicle. Poor service.
baseball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball95 View Post
Hope your dealer service experience is better than what I have had with my 2014 Overland with Hemi, Black w/ Indigo. Lots of "never heard of this" when explaining ongoing electrical glitches to 3 different dealer service departments (that are well documented by others posting to this forum). Enhancement and software upgrades did nothing.
Possibly your post 8/31 build date will make a difference.
Wheel balance was only noticeable issue upon taking delivery with 5 miles on it.
Great vehicle. Poor service.
Thats the standard answer from any service dept I have ever dealt with. Its always never heard of that before.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #26
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Jealous, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I assumed a forum that breaks it down by models and has a search function would make it easy for one to do research if given the key words. I guess not, once again sorry.

FYI, the owners manual covers everything about the cabin filter (air conditioner filter). Has the removal procedure and pIctures.
The forum does NOT separate the 2014 JGC from the other WK2 models. The 2014 has a completely brand new electrical architecture from all other WK2 models. That and some body changes (poor fitting/aligned panels) seem to be the source of all the gripes with early builds suffering the brunt of this newness. AFTER trolling all the threads and trying to pull out the pertinent 2014 JGC info did I post this.

I guess I should not be surprised by your continued "helpfulness" given that somehow you think as a NON 2014 JGC Summit owner that your 2010 XK Commander owner knowledge somehow has any bearing on my thread.

FYI, the owner's manual says ZERO about a cabin air filter. My post clearly asked if it was the same as the air conditioner filter you so accurately mention as having lovely pictures and instructions in the manual.

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-06-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: a kinder gentler me
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Cool it with personal attacks and bickering. As far as I can tell, no one here deserves being "punted"... yet.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Guys I apologize. I didn't know that it would cause these issues.

The reason I recommended for one to research is so they will have an unbiased view of the situation.

Hope this helps

YouTube, 2014 GRAND JEEP CHEROKEE- BRAND NEW AND SMOKING!!! (NOT in a good way)

Owners manual page 391
"A/C Air Filter
The climate control system filters outside air containing dust, pollen and some odors. Strong odors cannot be totally filtered out. Refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for filter replacement instruc- tions."
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
baseball95
1979 CJ7 

Where did you get the 390 page plus owners manual ?
Mine didn't come with anything like this. Online ?
Thanks
baseball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #30
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_brochures.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.