2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup checklist

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
14summithemi
2014 WK 

2014 Summit 5.7l Hemi vehicle pickup...I REJECTED IT!

I made a gut wrenching decision yesterday and rejected my vehicle. I readily admit that I am too picky but to pay $50 grand and drive it for 200-250,000 miles over 12 yrs or so I expect more than this.

Vehicle specs: ’14 JGC Summit, 4WD, 5.7L, Granite Crystal/Morocco Black, 15 miles on odom, 8/31/13 build date…

This vehicle did not have the rice/sand grains/debris under paint others have complained about. It had a “run” in the base paint coat on the passenger side of the hood. It was quite visible in both sun and shade. I was not willing to let them re-shoot the hood (inside a door jamb, probably would) in their body shop given that this is what will take all our lovely northeast ohio rocks/salt…nothing is better than factory paint and to bust into it on day one was just too much for me.

Window/door seals…driver door window seal was rolled in 2 spots…both rear door window seals had a sloppy hot weld at the bend and this caused them to fit poorly against the door frame although the pic does not show how bad it really looked in person.

Front Park Assist sensors…2 were not flush fitting.

Headlights…condensation on inside of both lenses. What’s going to happen in an Ohio winter when the vehicle is parked with hot lenses and then ice forms on the inside? This scares me.

Rear fender and trim…probably not a problem but to me the trim piece at top of arch wasn’t very secure at joint towards rear (all rivets in place), main bottom of fender behind rear wheels wasn’t exactly floppy but darned close, when I was checking for loose/missing rivets (reported issue) it moved very easily 3 or so inches in and out. Crawled under vehicle and did not see anything obvious except there is no real support for it to attach to. Curious how this would play out in an Ohio winter when those massive snow/ice “bergs” form there. That’s a lot of weight with little support.

Air Conditioner Filter…installed (wasn’t in my ’02)

Fog lights…scratches on both gray body inserts, looks like they are being shoved in on install, sloppy!

Tailgate/taillights/shocks…none of the unacceptable misalignments reported buutt not super straight l-r or in-out, I can definitely see that this is a loosey goosey area for Jeep…the Non-flip (hmmf) glass was shifted to the left (1/8” gap left, ” right), shocks dry on outside.

Interior…all ok with speaker rings, console alignment, scratches, etc..

Electronics (as much as I could test at one point in time)…iPhone paired up, mp3 files on SD card played awesome but could not get USB to recognize my stick it just said “Connect Media”, key fob and all interior controls worked normally.

Driving…steering wheel centered, alignment good, no apparent wind noise, BUT, this vehicle had a “harmonic” at 30-40 mph that attenuated through the steering column to the steering wheel. I am very aware that this is one of those infamous “in your head”, could not duplicate, it’s the road/tires deals. Nope, I am a pretty accomplished non-professional mechanic and I trouble shot all those out. Pitch of sound stayed the same no matter what so it’s something “on-board” and not something in contact with the road surface. It’s weird though. I would suspect it is originating somewhere between motor mount, motor to tranny mount or tranny to driveshaft or steering linkage. Front focused and has no grinding/rubbing characteristics or l-r wheel loading differences. Fresh pavement, worn pavement, grooved concrete road…same harmonic! Hrmmmf!

Net, net…the paint flaw did it for me and the drive noise made the decision a no-brainer. The window seals, park sensor, etc I would let dealer fix were it not for the paint and drive noise. I am not a Jeep hater. Why would I consider another JGC after living with an ’02 with all it’s lovely issues? I’m hooked on these da@n things! If you want a reasonably priced (by today’s standards) SUV that drives like a luxury car, hooks up in snow like it’s on Velcro, can go anywhere with a V8 then a JGC is your only real option.

So what am I going to do? Place my order today for another one (later build is better right? Oh, lord help us hooked JGC’ers) through a Texas dealer at 5.5% below invoice PLUS my Conquest $1k cash and Realtor $500 cash and just pray for no fatal paint or drive flaws, all else can be fixed plus I am getting the MaxCare Unlimited Lifetime extended service plan to cover my life as a JGC owner…

paint1.jpg   frontwindowseal1.jpg   frontwindowseal2.jpg   rearwindowseal1.jpg   fog1.jpg  

fog2.jpg  
paint2.jpg

parksensor.jpg

headlight1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-10-2013 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: results
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Had to order mine since I wanted the Limited trim with the V8, QD2, ORA2, and no sunroof. Was at the dealer when it was delivered and had the pleasure of removing all the plastic covers and stickers myself. Yes, the A/C filter is the cabin filter.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
hemispin
2014 WK 

You might check the wheels for some scratches in the clear coat if they're the painted ones. On the Summit they might be chrome depending on package(s). Mine also had some very minor scratches in the hood that the detail guy buffed out. Other than some minor radio/nav issues mine has been great.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a cabin air filter, behind the glove box.

You should test drive and verify the tires/wheels are vibration free. This is a PITA to resolve later. See if you notice any shudder (they will likely blame break in programming). You may want to check for headliner or head restraint rattles, those are annoying and difficult to get rid of. Check the seat and leather for proper fit. You want to run it through all the QL modes and verify that everything works as it should. Check headlights for deformity.

Beside that you will just have to take a chance because, if there are issues, they may not develop until later. You need a good 1000 miles on these to get through the break in programming.
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Great stuff guys, just what I was looking for. Keep it coming folks....thanks in advance

Sales lady (yep!) is going to twist her head when I open the glove box and undo the detents to verify I actually have a filter installed -

off topic....2014 Red HemiGC, I am slobbering on my computer at your list of vehicles.....hope the CTS-V is a 6 spd. A buddy of mine has one with Corsa exhaust....ABSOLUTE animal of a ride. He took it to the local 3/8 mile paved oval for "parking lot drags-race what ya brung" night...it's a 3 lapper single elimination deal. He coulda hung with the super modifieds except for the "rubbin'" part. It was the best sounding and looking car all night! He got a standing ovation.
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Oh, you may want check carefully for stains on the chrome around the grill and rear bumper area. These pieces seem to stain easily and I'm told by detailers stains can't be refinished/cleaned. Around the windows are stainless pieces so they should not be a problem.

Not a reason to reject a vehicle as its easily corrected, but check that the tailgate has rubber bumpers under the license plate. Sometimes dealer prep misses these.

The sales lady is going to enjoy the experience.
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
14summithemi
2014 WK 

"The sales lady is going to enjoy the experience."

Ya, when I laid the trailer/no driving delivery on her I saw in her eyes, "Oh chit, not one of these guys!"

Hey, it's my $50 large!

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-02-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC
Had to order mine since I wanted the Limited trim with the V8, QD2, ORA2, and no sunroof. Was at the dealer when it was delivered and had the pleasure of removing all the plastic covers and stickers myself. Yes, the A/C filter is the cabin filter.
Almost went your route although woulda got the panoramic sunroof but I am an audio snob and just have to have the Harmon Kardon stereo over the Alpine. Also, as petty as it is I also wanted the hitch/bumper cover only available on Summit as I tow frequently and my 02 JGC Ltd hitch area rusted up in 3 yrs and looked like crap no matter how well I touched it up yearly. I really wanted the True Blue/Indigo Brown combo on an Overland....sharporama! Went with boring Granite/Black on Summit due to very limited color choices.
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Delete!
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Thought the problem you mention was Pentastar V6 head related but could be wrong. If it applies to 5.7l......Uphill? Downhill? Matter?

Last edited by 14summithemi; 10-02-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Delete!
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk
Delete!
You keep deleting your posts. Just to clarify, is there a problem with the 5.7l and smoke at startup on incline?
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Research it if your concerned.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Make sure you check the liftgate for proper alignment. Many are misaligned from the factory and it still exists on the latest built models. Also check that the steering wheel is centered when going down the freeway. Again, many weren't aligned correctly at the factory since they do a crappy alignment just to say they checked the alignment.

Other than that, good luck with the delivery.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Research it if your concerned.
I appreciate your "help". Why do people like you bother posting?

Negative "nellies" should have their own forum to blast each other.

I DID research the 5.7l Hemi as it has been around awhile and thankfully they have fixed this problem since you purchased your vehicle 3+ years ago. They have redesigned the oil pan/windage tray to stop splashing excessive oil at the PCV valve area.

As you can see from my post I tacitly show everyone that I have done research. I even researched every TSB and not one officially applies to a 2014 Summit 5.7l 4WD built 8/31/13+ in the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.