2014 & roof rack advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 & roof rack advise

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Midgitkilla
2014 WK 

2014 & roof rack advise

Hi guys. New member here. Just got my Grand Cherokee after years of wanting one. Got the base model in 4x4. It has the flush mounted rails. I think its just a piece of plastic that's covering the holes.

Anyway the rack I want to get is the one from Rocky Road Outfitters. http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-jeep-g...roof-rack.html. Does anyone have experience with this company? Are they quality? What wind fairing will fit this?

Midgitkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
MartyA
2012 WK 

There's a thread on the general grand cherokee forum on this topic.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/roof-rails-1564687/

The short answer seems to be that you're out of luck for now. If the 'rail' that's up there is just a piece of flat black plastic the RRO rails won't fit.

Good luck!
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you want to go that route, you can relace the plastic trim with the oem chrome rails fairly easily, there have been several DIY posts on here.
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Midgitkilla
2014 WK 

RRO has rails that replace the plastic strip I think. http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-rails.html
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
mswlogo

People keep saying they have the "Flush mounted rails" on the base model. Those are not flush mount rails. Those are NO Rails.

The OEM Chrome Rails are the "Flush Mount Rails".

I have not seen a Jeep WK2 with the OEM Raised/Bar type rails (like the 2002 GC had).

Flush mount means there is a Channel that you attached things to (e.g. cross rails) from the top (or Rocky Road type Bars). The other style is a factory bar that you attach something around the Bar (like a Rocky Road).
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Midgitkilla
2014 WK 

Okay I see what you mean. So I need to buy/install the factory chrome flush mount rails and then I can get RRO/Thule/Yak racks.
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
People keep saying they have the "Flush mounted rails" on the base model. Those are not flush mount rails. Those are NO Rails.

The OEM Chrome Rails are the "Flush Mount Rails".

I have not seen a Jeep WK2 with the OEM Raised/Bar type rails (like the 2002 GC had).

Flush mount means there is a Channel that you attached things to (e.g. cross rails) from the top (or Rocky Road type Bars). The other style is a factory bar that you attach something around the Bar (like a Rocky Road).
Good point.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
MerrillWK2

I have a 2014 GC Limited with Flush Mount Rails and just bought the Mopar OEM Cross bars from the dealership. They say Mopar but they are actually THULE Areoblades (just Mopar label) It was cheaper to go to the dealer $270. REI and Jax were $350+.
MerrillWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.